notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Aha, so *this* is what they're for...
http://vimeo.com/11043405

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    that's ridiculous. i now utterly despise everyone there. burn the building down. if you want to race your fixed gear, go to Herne Hill or suchlike.

apparently I'm rather grumpy today.
  • Alphabet
    and he won a pair of deep rimmed track wheels? oh my days...
  • notsoblue
    Alphabet wrote:
    and he won a pair of deep rimmed track wheels? oh my days...

I know, right? Presumably so that he can get round tiny velodromes quicker.

I just don't see how that could be fun to anyone unless they were enticed there by trendy music and free booze by a corporate sponsor. What awful, awful people. :P
  • My thoughts: 'damn that looks narrow, and there aren't any buffers or anything... I reckon people are totally going to fall off th............ oh.'
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Coming to a London near you soon (Jan15th):
    http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/e ... 2923679584
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Yeah, god forbid anyone who would dare to combine riding their bike with having a bit of a laugh.
  • Alphabet
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Yeah, god forbid anyone who would dare to combine riding their bike with having a bit of a laugh.

come on though, it's blatantly just posing, posturing and look at me and my brakeless fixie that i take on the urban wasteland with maaaaaan.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    _Brun_ wrote:

Quite.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Alphabet wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

come on though, it's blatantly just posing, posturing and look at me and my brakeless fixie that i take on the urban wasteland with maaaaaan.

Whereas dressing like a Power Ranger (to quote GregT) and racing people you've never met as you to ride to work, then bragging about it on a chat forum is a deadly serious business.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Alphabet
    no, that's riding your bike. and may make you look/act like a tit.

going round in circles in a wok surrounded by a braying mob doused in ironic hair-dos and skinny jeans will undoubtedly make you look like a tit. put it on a proper track, it looks like they're trying to race around a sodding scalextric.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Its just some fun for teens....
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Whereas dressing like a Power Ranger (to quote GregT) and racing people you've never met as you to ride to work, then bragging about it on a chat forum is a deadly serious business.

Well both are clearly just a bit of fun, but only one requires corporate sponsorship to make happen :P
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Well both are clearly just a bit of fun, but only one requires corporate sponsorship to make happen :P

Well someone's got to pay for that fancy demountable wooden track. That was one of the more interesting bits of the video. Could have done with being a bit bigger, but then that would limit where you could use it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• JonGinge wrote:

Interesting that the track design is different for the UK one - maybe the NZ one produced too many accidents.

I know it's just people having a laugh on bikes, which is to be applauded, but the use of the phrase 'fixed gear scene' rubs me up the wrong way!

Mutter mutter bloody hipsters mutter mutter.
  • Heh heh, looked fun, coming off gonna be painful even going slowly on sharp edge.

Still good laugh.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Heh heh, looked fun, coming off gonna be painful even going slowly on sharp edge.

Still good laugh.

No use sentences? You tarzan?
  • Alphabet

nail > head
  • rjsterry
    JonGinge wrote:

Interesting that the track design is different for the UK one - maybe the NZ one produced too many accidents.

I know it's just people having a laugh on bikes, which is to be applauded, but the use of the phrase 'fixed gear scene' rubs me up the wrong way!

That's just because you're not part of it :P

I can't understand why people get so worked up about hipsters - yes, they are faintly ridiculous, but then I've ridden my Dahon clown bike in full lycra, so who am I to talk.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

Well someone's got to pay for that fancy demountable wooden track. That was one of the more interesting bits of the video. Could have done with being a bit bigger, but then that would limit where you could use it.

I'm just bitter Hendrick's refused to sponsor my SCR :(
  • jonginge
    notsoblue wrote:
    *wistfully thinks back to this year's tweed run*
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    *wistfully thinks back to this year's tweed run*

yeah that got messy quickly :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Alphabet
    rjsterry wrote:
    I can't understand why people get so worked up about hipsters - yes, they are faintly ridiculous, but then I've ridden my Dahon clown bike in full lycra, so who am I to talk.

yeah, but you're not doing that purely to look trendy and cool. unless you are. in which case I'm fairly sure you're a bit wide of the mark :D

Still good laugh.

Me Monkey, you Jane.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Heh heh, looked fun, coming off gonna be painful even going slowly on sharp edge.

Still good laugh.

Me Monkey, you Jane.

was going to say unless you got a box to stand on you wont pass for tarzan
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Heh heh, looked fun, coming off gonna be painful even going slowly on sharp edge.

Still good laugh.

Me Monkey, you Jane.

:D No, but i'd make a pass at Jane ;)
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:

Still good laugh.

Me Monkey, you Jane.

That would be Cheetah-ing ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Is this a Swingers thread?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Why does being a bit of a loser deny people the right to have fun on bikes? Alright, so their cardigans are a bit tight, and they spend too much at the hairdressers, but let's face it, a number of us have registered to race exercise bikes against hard-ass pros and other blokes in suits in the lobby of a city brokerage. Let 'em have fun, especially if that means a few blokes with no brakes (and not even clips or cleats to help with backpedalling, from what I've seen in Shoreditch and such places) are off the road at night.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Let me guess, all the mamil's on this thread don't like the idea of 'hipsters' having fun on a bike?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    watched with the sound down

My own head provided the sound track

(yes, many of you will already know this)