IG Markets Square Mile Challenge

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mroli wrote:
    I don't know if it is accurate that the guy died. I was there helping and when the ambulence took him away they had got his heart beating again.

I really hope you're right.
  • mroli wrote:
    I don't know if it is accurate that the guy died. I was there helping and when the ambulence took him away they had got his heart beating again.

really hope so - won't comment again til we know for sure......
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sounds like good news. Tweet from Wiggo...

bradwiggins Bradley Wiggins
    @Jonklaff I understand he's ok and talking again, so good news
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    The ambulance took him away at about 1.50 and according to Ben Swift he was OK, the medics had got him breathing again. They were attending to him for about 40min on the spot. He just passed out while he was on the bike. Fingers crossed.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Guys, with all due respect, the riders don't know. They were nowhere near the incident (other than Wiggins who was racing when it happened). His heart WAS started again and he was taken away by the medics, but I doubt we will know anything until we know. He was undergoing CPR for almost an hour at the venue. Please note he was a fit looking guy with proper kit, so all take it careful out there in the cold.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    MatHammond wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Yes the higher the resistance the faster you go. I didn't beat the sky rider but I rocked in at 1.49ish and 2nd overall.

That hurt

Good effort. Was that recently? News I heard was that a guy has had a cardiac arrest and is in a bad way. I think they may have stopped the event but I don't know for sure.

I was at 12.30, I think the next heat had the guy in question. it looked like he was alive when they took him out with defrib stickers and an oxygen mask on (Mainly by the way they were carrying him
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • kelsen
    Fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery.

Well done CP by the way for getting the 2nd fastest time of the day. You might have been 3rd if I'd gotten to race but never mind :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:

Well done CP by the way for getting the 2nd fastest time of the day. You might have been 3rd if I'd gotten to race but never mind :wink:

indeed, I thought I'd finished and let off then realised I hadn't and therefore lost about a second(ish) I think. Props to Gerraint Thomas for shouting me on, it helped

Jonginge has a vid of me suffering
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

indeed, I thought I'd finished and let off then realised I hadn't and therefore lost about a second(ish) I think. Props to Gerraint Thomas for shouting me on, it helped

<sean kelly>Well, yes. He was soofrin by the end</sean kelly>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34408680@N06/5208711989/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kelsen
    Clever Pun wrote:

Damn, you might have had a shout for THAT bike then!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited November 2010
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Wow look at Swifty's pedaling action it's so smooth. No real upper body movement all the power is through legs.
  • kelsen
    JonGinge wrote:

That looked like a massive gear you were pushing there. What did you set it at?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Did JonGinge not have a go then?! I still reckon I could've caused some serious damage were it not for this cold ( :wink: ) but pleased with how it panned out, got my 15 minutes of fame for being first to beat a pro, lots of photos, interviews, video on tinterweb and all that!

Re gearing, I was on 4 until near the end when I knocked it down to 3 (was starting to tie up a bit). It helped that I was on the bike next to Russ as I could see his gearing / cadence so pretty easy to judge what I needed to do to keep ahead. Hope they repeat this sometime, maybe with some kind of entry criteria to be on the safe side!

Feeling like a bit of a c*ck for misreporting what happened later on, was getting live updates from a mate down there but he obviously got his wires crossed. I really hope there is a happy ending to that story.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    Well done CP and MH, great efforts both!!

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • jonginge
    I was too late for the initial sign-up. I'm in boots and jeans today so not ideal apparal to take up any of the spots available on the day
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    MatHammond wrote:
    pleased with how it panned out, got my 15 minutes of fame for being first to beat a pro, lots of photos, interviews, video on tinterweb and all that!
    Any links to video/interview?
    Congrats to you and CP, I'm afraid I was too late to see any of you in action
  • Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

yeah I know..gutted. but on the bright side really very pleased with my time

I started on 4.5ish and dropped it down a bit in that vid when I was fu..really hurting. Started off around 67kph.. maybe a little too fast stuck at 64 for a bit then the gradual drop
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • My start made me realise that even at 38, I could do damage in shape. They called that I had (I think) a 30 metre lead at 1/4 mile, and I still had it at the halfway, but I ran out of oxygen rather than legs. It's given me a kick up the arse, because I would love to have properly put a hole in Geraint, and I think it's in me to do it. I look at how badly I tied up in the 2nd half, and ask myself, could I take 10 seconds out of that time in a year, and the answer is yes. I wish there were more events like this!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Gazzaputt
    SamWise72 wrote:
    My start made me realise that even at 38, I could do damage in shape. They called that I had (I think) a 30 metre lead at 1/4 mile, and I still had it at the halfway, but I ran out of oxygen rather than legs. It's given me a kick up the ars*, because I would love to have properly put a hole in Geraint, and I think it's in me to do it. I look at how badly I tied up in the 2nd half, and ask myself, could I take 10 seconds out of that time in a year, and the answer is yes. I wish there were more events like this!

Don't get to excited it was only one mile! Good effort but.

I think as Geriant is one of the worlds top track sprinters you have a hell of a long way to put a 'hole' in him :wink:
  • Not really. Several riders posted times that would have beaten him. I realise it's hardly an olympic final, but those who beat the pros did genuinely achieve something. Matt Hammond beat his man when he was fresh; his first ride of the day. I think I could get down to the speeds the fastest guys were posting, that's all I'm saying. Not "I'm a better cyclist than Thomas", but "I could get in shape to beat Thomas on that 1 mile race". After all, I did him (and everyone else) over half a mile today.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Gazzaputt
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Not really. Several riders posted times that would have beaten him. I realise it's hardly an olympic final, but those who beat the pros did genuinely achieve something. Matt Hammond beat his man when he was fresh; his first ride of the day. I think I could get down to the speeds the fastest guys were posting, that's all I'm saying. Not "I'm a better cyclist than Thomas", but "I could get in shape to beat Thomas on that 1 mile race". After all, I did him (and everyone else) over half a mile today.

I think you missed the word attempt in that quote!

Matt did really well as Russ Downing was really trying you could see that.

Wiggo was at no way full gas and nor was Geriant from what I saw. Swifty gavea few bursts.

Pop over to training in the road section and ask for a training plan and opinions on how you could beat Geriant.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Clever Pun wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

yeah I know..gutted. but on the bright side really very pleased with my time

I started on 4.5ish and dropped it down a bit in that vid when I was fu..really hurting. Started off around 67kph.. maybe a little too fast stuck at 64 for a bit then the gradual drop

See, I thought '2 to 3 minutes' was you being over-modest.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Chapeau CP
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ah, I see what you're saying. Let me rephrase then. I feel certain I could take 10 seconds out of my time, which would have made me faster than Thomas was in that race . I was focussing on what I was doing, so I didn't see how he looked, and I suppose some of my assumptions are based on seeing Downing really working hard. So yeah, I reckon I could have been in with a shot at FTD, but beating one of those guys would have meant more to me than winning a bike - the bike I might ride but would probably sell, whereas the win would be forever :) Didn't CP beat Thomas?

I will do as you suggest re training, for sure. I felt like being so much faster off the start would have been a big benefit, but it's hard to know how it works psychologically. On the road, once you've put someone that far back, they usually give up the chase, but on those bikes, there's not the visual disincentive! On the other hand, if I'd been physically going away from people like that, they might have chased harder, and who knows whether that would have resulted in a faster or a slower time?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Hey guys. Well done to whoever beat Sky Pro. As for the guy that apparently died, I got back there at about 2ish and chatted to Ben, he was adamant that the guy was talking and OK, so I think false alarm. Very cold tho. I was in the second race and Ben beat me by couple of seconds, chose wrong gear, pushed him a bit tho. Got a jersey (womens lol), but overall it was a bit chaotic for my liking. I thought there might be some more riding after You have won your race (well came behind a sky rider), but got told that was it, so went shopping. Didn't even know who won the bike for the fastest non Sky rider.
  • Clever Pun
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Ah, I see what you're saying. Let me rephrase then. I feel certain I could take 10 seconds out of my time, which would have made me faster than Thomas was in that race . I was focussing on what I was doing, so I didn't see how he looked, and I suppose some of my assumptions are based on seeing Downing really working hard. So yeah, I reckon I could have been in with a shot at FTD, but beating one of those guys would have meant more to me than winning a bike - the bike I might ride but would probably sell, whereas the win would be forever :) Didn't CP beat Thomas?

I will do as you suggest re training, for sure. I felt like being so much faster off the start would have been a big benefit, but it's hard to know how it works psychologically. On the road, once you've put someone that far back, they usually give up the chase, but on those bikes, there's not the visual disincentive! On the other hand, if I'd been physically going away from people like that, they might have chased harder, and who knows whether that would have resulted in a faster or a slower time?

Nope I didn't beat Swift.. even with sub 1.50 :cry:

Rsjterry, I really had no idea what sort of time I would post never having done something like this before...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The cyclist is apparently in ICU, still very ill but apparently "stable". Also, they have managed to contact his family which is good and they are with him.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    so who won the Pinarellos :?:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • I beat Clever Pun in my heat (1:49:16) although did not beat Ben Swift. After my heat the announcer said I had the fastest time of the day and it went on the leader board. I hung around for the next 2 races and neither of them managed to beat my time and there were no more races.
    I beleive Mathew Thoebold was the one with the fastest time to beat the pro, (although he was slower than me).

That should mean I get the FP2 (or whatever model it is) and Matthew gets the Dogma.

I have not heard from them yet and sent them an e-mail yesterday which they have not replied to yet....
  • jonginge
    wjcrombie wrote:
    I beat Clever Pun in my heat (1:49:16) although did not beat Ben Swift. After my heat the announcer said I had the fastest time of the day and it went on the leader board. I hung around for the next 2 races and neither of them managed to beat my time and there were no more races.
    I beleive Mathew Thoebold was the one with the fastest time to beat the pro, (although he was slower than me).

That should mean I get the FP2 (or whatever model it is) and Matthew gets the Dogma.

I have not heard from them yet and sent them an e-mail yesterday which they have not replied to yet....
    Good ride, sir!
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides