IG Markets Square Mile Challenge

SamWise72
SamWise72 Posts: 453
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else doing this? Essentially, 1 mile stationary bike races against Wiggins, Geraint Thomas, and I forget who else, next Friday in Broadgate. I've registered, so those who remember my ill-advised "reasons why I'm faster than you" thread can check out whether I'm genuinely fast or not. I can't link easily on mu Blackberry, but if you google it, you'll find it.
MiniLogo-1.jpg
http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    They've got off lightly. I'm not in the office next Friday.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Interesting. 5min walk from work. May try and swing by for lunch at Corney and Barrow...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Interesting. 5min walk from work. May try and swing by for lunch at Corney and Barrow...

Rrrrreeeeeggggiiiiissssssteeeeerrr.

Dooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    might pop along for a look. i would take part but, erm, i'll have hurt my leg by then. and my bike will have a puncture. and I'll have a note from my mum.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Rrrrreeeeeggggiiiiissssssteeeeerrr.

Dooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    What Alphabet said. Actually, was on PT today and can already feel a cold coming on...

:P
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    If a participant beats a Champion they will receive a genuine Team Sky Pinarello reconditioned racing bike from the 2010 season

Ummm*

*Heads off to buy some contaminated Spanish Meat
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Registered. Pretty sure that I'm going to beat all 3 of them, walk off with a Dogma and be the fastest in the city and get the £1200 bike too.

Ahem.

Be nice to get a couple of autographs though.
  • I'm genuinely interested to see how I'll do. The distance suits me, so there can't really be any excuses; it's just what I like best. I'm not expecting to beat the pros, of course, but I'd hope to give anyone else a good run. A couple of years ago, I did the folding bike race at Smithfield Nocturne, and my older son, then 12, had a couple of goes on the roller racing, and set the two fastest times for the day (out of over 100 IIRC) for the under 15 category. Now don't get me wrong, he's a monster; school champion track sprinter, forward and man of the season for his school's championship winning rugby team, forward and player's player of the year for the local rugby club, so he's more sportsman than I've ever been, but he got them sprinting genes from me.......
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I'm genuinely interested to see how I'll do. The distance suits me, so there can't really be any excuses; it's just what I like best. I'm not expecting to beat the pros, of course, but I'd hope to give anyone else a good run. A couple of years ago, I did the folding bike race at Smithfield Nocturne, and my older son, then 12, had a couple of goes on the roller racing, and set the two fastest times for the day (out of over 100 IIRC) for the under 15 category. Now don't get me wrong, he's a monster; school champion track sprinter, forward and man of the season for his school's championship winning rugby team, forward and player's player of the year for the local rugby club, so he's more sportsman than I've ever been, but he got them sprinting genes from me.......

Take him along - you might win a Dogma
  • Aha, that ''1 mile stationary'' bit had me confused - I couldn't figure out how you could do a mile without moving :oops:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/r ... ndon-28469
  • JZed wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    I'm genuinely interested to see how I'll do. The distance suits me, so there can't really be any excuses; it's just what I like best. I'm not expecting to beat the pros, of course, but I'd hope to give anyone else a good run. A couple of years ago, I did the folding bike race at Smithfield Nocturne, and my older son, then 12, had a couple of goes on the roller racing, and set the two fastest times for the day (out of over 100 IIRC) for the under 15 category. Now don't get me wrong, he's a monster; school champion track sprinter, forward and man of the season for his school's championship winning rugby team, forward and player's player of the year for the local rugby club, so he's more sportsman than I've ever been, but he got them sprinting genes from me.......

Take him along - you might win a Dogma

If I could, I wouldn't hesitate. Trouble is, I'lll be dropping in on my way to doing 360 feedbacks for Visa in the afternoon, and he'll be at school in Southampton!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm in
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm in

Ah crap! Got no chance now the Champion of SCR & MTFU has entered!
  • Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm in

:lol: thanks

it's a mile; I can be outsprinted for a mile, once you're toast I roll by.. this tactic might not work unfortunately :cry:

it's going to be 2-3 minutes balls to the wall isn't it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'd be quite up for it, but I'm on holiday next week.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm in.
    Do you go there in work clothes, or fully lycra clad?
    exercise.png
  • I'll give it a miss, give the rest a chance.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm in

it's a mile; I can be outsprinted for a mile, once you're toast I roll by.. this tactic might not work unfortunately :cry:

Very much so, I suspect! Re clothing, it says they suggest you come in comfortable clothing, as they have very limited changing facilities. I'll probably wear shorts and a cycling shirt under my office clothes, and redress once I've cooled down (if I'm not a sweaty, shuddering, near - vomiting mess afterwards, I won't have done myself justice!)
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Clever Pun
    jeans and a tee for me.. thinking of the fcn :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm in

Very much so, I suspect! Re clothing, it says they suggest you come in comfortable clothing, as they have very limited changing facilities. I'll probably wear shorts and a cycling shirt under my office clothes, and redress once I've cooled down (if I'm not a sweaty, shuddering, near - vomiting mess afterwards, I won't have done myself justice!)

Going to need to be a lot nearer the 2 than the 3 minutes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    I was being inclusive
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Here's our kid 2.5 years ago, just after stuffing everyone on roller racing

dscn6584.jpg

And here playing rugby (front of the line out, in the scrum cap)

63862_469759801825_555806825_6427162_2276987_n.jpg

And collecting his awards at the end of last season, with his fat old Dad. Watch out; if you see this kid on a bike, he's gonna scalp you! :)

In other news, has anyone recieved any sort of confirmation email?30545_416993481825_555806825_5095494_1696803_n.jpg
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Feck all places gone already, would've been up for this esp given my commute is basically made up of 7 mile long sprints!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    No confirmation emails - I think it said they would be arriving just before the event.

I think I have more chance of guessing the closing FTSE number than I have being the fastest on the day or beating the Sky Team members!
  • Clever Pun
    Feck all places gone already, would've been up for this esp given my commute is basically made up of 7 mile long sprints!

Clearly not fast enough...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • hey. anyone else hoping to get a ride on the day? they've said they might be additional spaces on the day. or is it just to get the people in? i'm really up for it, and just hope they can squeeze me in. ane views/inside information?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm down for 11am although I'll see if I can move to lunchtime. Horrible timing in that I'm in the worst shape I've been in for the last couple of years, but it sounds like it should be fun and a good chance to meet some of the Brit pros.