Would you challenge bike thieves caught in the act?

2»

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I ain't doing sheeet!

F-that, I'll watch, I'll wait for the owner and I'll give evidence but I'm not confronting anyone on behalf of someone I don't know. Chances are you'll make matters worse. Even if it was my own property it would be a judgement call.

Price of life to some of these people is about 47p.

I have my corner, you have yours. You stay in yours, I'll stay in mine and that's the end of it.

what are you a man or a mouse?

:lol: sorry couldn't help myself.
    Hat + Beard
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've been on a bus (college) where one guy took a knife out on another guy. I weren't getting involved in that. I've seen a woman get a phone snatched from her, another woman punched several times in the face, I've seen purses snatched and, once when drunk on the bus, a razorblade pulled out on this guy who was sleeping.

Dude, where do you live?! This is just for reference so I know to avoid it...
    Was probably wearing a headcam. Those guys just attract trouble...

:lol: so I've heard!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Mr Plum wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've been on a bus (college) where one guy took a knife out on another guy. I weren't getting involved in that. I've seen a woman get a phone snatched from her, another woman punched several times in the face, I've seen purses snatched and, once when drunk on the bus, a razorblade pulled out on this guy who was sleeping.

Dude, where do you live?! This is just for reference so I know to avoid it...

Knife - 60 bus, Croydon (Early 2000)

Phone snatch - 109 bus, West Croydon (carried out by school kid) (late 1990 - Early 2000 kept happening)

Punched several times in the head - London bridge (at night) (Late 2000)

Purse snatch (few times in fact) - West Croydon (late 1990 - Early 2000 kept happening)

Razor blade - 159 bus, Stockwell (at night) (2006)

This is why I agree with the benefits cuts but if all these people are lumped together to create super-estates.... whoa nelly.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • In many circumstances, I would. I'm big, I stay calm, and I can look after myself fairly well. That said, I would do so in a way to minimize the likelihood of confrontation, so shouting from a reasonable distance away "Oi, thief, get away from that bloody bike" so he's got plenty of time to do one before I get there, but upping my pace, so he's in no doubt that get there I soon will. I'm not too spooked by the idea of someone having a go with bolt croppers, but a knife I wouldn't like; only a small movement required for serious damage. I suspect in most situations I wouldn't think about that though; shout first, ask questions later. All that said, I've certainly been in places where I would have turned up my collar and moved on.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I was on a bus and I saw someone get punched in the face, by a kid in Wimbledon just for catching his eye, guy thought he was looking at him and bam! Bus driver closed the doors, kid pushes passed everyone and does a runner out of the back door. Bus was full I was at the front, this happened at the middle, all happened so quick. Nice of the driver in his protected area to lock a violent teenager in with a crowd of OAPS and commuters.

I was on a bus with my fiancee at the start of the year, one big guy was swearing his head off, another little bloke with greasy hair, NHS brown glasses and the look of someone who knew the reference numbers of the Maplin catalogue by heart, told him to shut up. Sweary guy took offence at this and fronted up to the guy. The little bloke just looks at him and lets him say his piece, then he picks up his shopping and goes to get off at the next stop. Next the sweary bloke slaps him around the back of the head. Little bloke turns around and a fight breaks out. Without thinking I pull my fiancee backwards out of the way and protect her from the fight, as it comes towards us I push them back and dialled 999. While I'm contemplating my next move, the scuffle stops and little greasy bloke now has the big sweary fella in a head lock and is choking him! :shock:

Wasn't expecting that :D

Waited for the police and gave a statement.

When I've witnessed any attacks I'll get on the phone and start giving descriptions of the peeps involved, this sort of information might help find them if they do a runner, me with a beaten face won't.

So if I saw a cycle thief, I'd do the same, give a description of the thief, the clothing they are wearing, trousers and shoes can't be changed easily, location, which way they go off, number plates (if they had them) and a description of the bike being stolen. It might help, and I get to retain my good looks :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • I stepped in after a guy pushed a woman around. He grabbed me by the throat whilst his mates came running. I punched him a few times in the face to stun him and then stuck my finger in his eye socket and swung him about like a shield to deflect all the puches coming my way. It was pure instinct and I was pretty shocked by my actions afterwards. Being 10 stone and built like a twig I don't know what came over me, so who knows how you might react in a dangerous situation.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I intervened once when a bloke was knocked unconcious and was about to have a bottle smashed over his head, despite being out cold! That resulted in me getting bottled, and running faster than a knew I could while being chased by 3 lads with knives. If it wasn't for a lad passing by in a beemer and telling me to get in (despite blood pouring everywhere), I dread to think what might have happened.

I'd go for the 999 call and good witness route, you just don't know what these people will do.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Anyone thought of shouting oi bike theif? or something similar

that's the kind of faceless thing most can get away.

Personally, I'd probably get involved by asking them what they're up to etc and then telling them to do one as the police will be interested in their descriptions

Yeah, but you are 7 foot tall, bearded, covered in tattoos and well-trained in various types of martial arts....