Would you challenge bike thieves caught in the act?

mybreakfastconsisted
mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
http://thismanykittens.wordpress.com/20 ... ike-theft/

I doubt I'd have behaved differently. Maybe whip my phone out and film them, but I'm not going to let some chav thug use the Damilola defence by chivving me for the sake of a bike.

Then again, if it was your bike, a month's wages, I think most people would step in.

Anyone who knows Hackney will know The Dove on Broadway Market where the London Fields gang wait for a nice Bianchi to be locked up and stride up to nick it with those massive fulcrum bolt-croppers that I think electricity companies use. Challenge those scroats and you'll get striped across the buttocks, you bleed out and they claim manslaughter.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nope, sorry, I would intervene. I've stepped into brawls as well - just my nature. Probably unwise but as long as a small percentage of the population are prepared to do it then at least the scrotes have to make the assumption that they can't do things in broad daylight.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    I'd certainly like to think I'd have a verbal go at them or at least make enough noise to make them get the hell out of there. Especially if there was a pub the other side of the road FFS.

But... you never know until you're there.

I guess the problem was that he'd already uncut the bike by the time they said anything - his quickest escape route was just to climb on.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    If it was my bike I'd definitely challenge it and probably go absolutely mental, I know I wouldn't be able to stop myself. If it was someone else bike...? Well that depends on the bike and the situation... maybe that's hypocritical of me, but I'm not taking bolt croppers to the face for a POS bike owned by a complete stranger.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    Alphabet wrote:
    this is how to handle em:

http://vimeo.com/6475675:

Fair play, but that's easy when your thief is an over-weight middle aged tw@t and you've got your mates with you...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, I'd challenge them. There's a fair chance that if they get stroppy very quickly, it ain't their bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Make a scene big loud noise and get others to notice them too. There's a chance legal owner if indeed being nicked is in local area and notice/be informed etc.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'd challenge.

And if thinking vaguely rationally, take pictures prior to approaching.
  • It's a tough one for any of us to say as we just don't know how we would react. A bit of surreptitious photographing or videoing might be the way forwards.

Just out of interest, was it a nice bike?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It's a tough one for any of us to say as we just don't know how we would react. A bit of surreptitious photographing or videoing might be the way forwards.

True. In my case, I had a bike nicked earlier this year and another about seven years ago and I was feckin' livid on each occasion. I despise thieves.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It's a tough one for any of us to say as we just don't know how we would react. A bit of surreptitious photographing or videoing might be the way forwards.

Although, the post did say the bike was under CCTV.
    Perhaps the motorcycle's licence plate could be retrieved from it?
  • hfidgen wrote:
    I'd certainly like to think I'd have a verbal go at them or at least make enough noise to make them get the hell out of there. Especially if there was a pub the other side of the road FFS.

But... you never know until you're there.

I guess the problem was that he'd already uncut the bike by the time they said anything - his quickest escape route was just to climb on.

Shout "Fire!"

People ignore shouts of "Thief" but the chance of seeing a good blaze brings them running.

Then they could lynch the thieves and stick their heads on poles, I mean report them to the authorities.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Aidy wrote:

Although, the post did say the bike was under CCTV.
    Perhaps the motorcycle's licence plate could be retrieved from it?

Motor bike was prolly nicked as well...leading you precisely now where :(
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Of course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's easy to be the big man sitting behind a keyboard.

I'm pretty small, (5ft6, 50 odd kg), and I will come off worse - if it's not in a place with lots of people about, I probably bottle it, but then again, it probably depends on who's the person/people nicking looks like.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436

I'm pretty small, (5ft6, 50 odd kg), and I will come off worse - if it's not in a place with lots of people about, I probably bottle it, but then again, it probably depends on who's the person/people nicking looks like.

anyone, big or small, can dish out a bit of D-LOCK JUSTICE where necessary.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Alphabet wrote:

If you use a weapon you can expect them to too...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Nope, sorry, I would intervene. I've stepped into brawls as well - just my nature. Probably unwise but as long as a small percentage of the population are prepared to do it then at least the scrotes have to make the assumption that they can't do things in broad daylight.

+1 - well said that man.....lets start SCR Fight Club :-)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I ain't doing sheeet!

F-that, I'll watch, I'll wait for the owner and I'll give evidence but I'm not confronting anyone on behalf of someone I don't know. Chances are you'll make matters worse. Even if it was my own property it would be a judgement call.

Price of life to some of these people is about 47p.

I have my corner, you have yours. You stay in yours, I'll stay in mine and that's the end of it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet wrote:

If you use a weapon you can expect them to too...

you bring a Kryptonite D-Lock, they bring a heavyweight Abus chain and the situation just escalates. a few months down the line, gangs of children will be taking track pumps to school for their own protection and the police will carry heavyweight single speed chains.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I ain't doing sheeet!

F-that, I'll watch, I'll wait for the owner and I'll give evidence but I'm not confronting anyone on behalf of someone I don't know. Chances are you'll make matters worse. Even if it was my own property it would be a judgement call.

I have my corner, you have yours. You stay in yours, I'll stay in mine and that's the end of it.

Until they turn round and growl, "Whatchew lookin' at?" and suddenly your involved anyway. There's a lot in between not getting involved and wading in with your D-lock.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Hard to say. Depends so much on circumstances, it's almost impossible to give a definite yes or no.
  • Alphabet
    Hard to say. Depends so much on the size of D-Lock i have with me, it's almost impossible to give a definite yes or no.

FTFY
  • Depends who was doing the pinching. If they looked menacing I'd call the rozzers.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Anyone thought of shouting oi bike theif? or something similar

that's the kind of faceless thing most can get away.

Personally, I'd probably get involved by asking them what they're up to etc and then telling them to do one as the police will be interested in their descriptions
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I ain't doing sheeet!

Until they turn round and growl, "Whatchew lookin' at?" and suddenly your involved anyway. There's a lot in between not getting involved and wading in with your D-lock.

You never just stand and watch. Well sometimes you do. But do it discreetly.

You see it really really really depends on the situation. And its too easy to say behind a computer screen what you would like to do.

I've been on a bus (college) where one guy took a knife out on another guy. I weren't getting involved in that. I've seen a woman get a phone snatched from her, another woman punched several times in the face, I've seen purses snatched and, once when drunk on the bus, a razorblade pulled out on this guy who was sleeping.

Its easy to say what you would do, but adrenaline is both flight or fight inducing so you can never be sure.

As a rule, I err on the side of caution.

I try to make myself useful to the victim in the best way I can without putting myself in danger or bringing harm to them. Sometimes that's to do nothing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No idea if I would challenge them - depends on the circumstances.

I did see a bloke challenge a guy the other week and that ended up in a scrap - and the guy who was challenged did own the bike - but was v v v pissed and up for a brawl. He ended up stacking the bike and the police picked him up off the floor to arrest him. Messy.
  • Mr Plum
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've been on a bus (college) where one guy took a knife out on another guy. I weren't getting involved in that. I've seen a woman get a phone snatched from her, another woman punched several times in the face, I've seen purses snatched and, once when drunk on the bus, a razorblade pulled out on this guy who was sleeping.

Dude, where do you live?! This is just for reference so I know to avoid it...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Mr Plum wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Damn right :shock: - hope he doesn't say East London...
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mr Plum wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Was probably wearing a headcam. Those guys just attract trouble...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides