Regaining confidence after an off

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
OK so a while ago I had an off, some guy on a 'create' bike's pedal sheared off and he tumbled into me.

Normally I'd get back on the bike without a second thought, now however, I haven't been able to without a hightend sense of vulnerability and hesitant to react, which ultiamtely makes me a less effective and in my mind, safe, cyclist.

My off was on the road and I immediately looked behind me when it happened. Had that been a car or more likely a bus (he off happened in the bus lane) I would have been under. I can't escape that thought.

Recently I've been thinking about my mortality a lot more, 28, want to get married, house and kids - being the most important thing. I'm beginning to think if the risk of cycling is worth taking against one of the things I've wanted the most in life alongside my brother. Equally I know cycling is something I want to do for the rest of my life and I really do love commuting, have done since I was 18-19,going to my Saturday job in Croydon and cycling in general since I was 8 and got my very first mountain bike.

All of this overthinking has left me a bit uneasy commuting, dare I say a loss in confidence, how do you deal with that?

MTFU isn't a sufficient answer.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• I'm facing the same problem. I would have said ride with a bunch of guys you trust as the banter/competitiveness will stop you dwelling on "potential disasters" but as you were offed by another cyclist that might not work in your case.

Mark.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    No easy answer. When I pranged in Wales last year, I got back on the bike ASAP and finished the ride. When I went down on Reigate Hill this year, that wasn't an option, but I spent ten days wishing I could get back on, and it was a real relief to get riding again. But we're all different. I don't really know what to suggest. Keep going and the confidence should come back though. You can't prepare for every incident or allow for something like someone's pedal coming off.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • MFTU.

(What did you expect?)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Get back on the bike and ride more. You'll soon get back to normal.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so a while ago I had an off, some guy on a 'create' bike's pedal sheared off and he tumbled into me.

Normally I'd get back on the bike without a second thought, now however, I haven't been able to without a hightend sense of vulnerability and hesitant to react, which ultiamtely makes me a less effective and in my mind, safe, cyclist.

My off was on the road and I immediately looked behind me when it happened. Had that been a car or more likely a bus (he off happened in the bus lane) I would have been under. I can't escape that thought.

Recently I've been thinking about my mortality a lot more, 28, want to get married, house and kids - being the most important thing. I'm beginning to think if the risk of cycling is worth taking against one of the things I've wanted the most in life alongside my brother. Equally I know cycling is something I want to do for the rest of my life and I really do love commuting, have done since I was 18-19,going to my Saturday job in Croydon and cycling in general since I was 8 and got my very first mountain bike.

All of this overthinking has left me a bit uneasy commuting, dare I say a loss in confidence, how do you deal with that?

MTFU isn't a sufficient answer.

Wholly understand this!

For the period of my wifes pregnancy, I took the car to work. There was no way I was gonna risk getting injured when she needed me the most.

To be honest, I just wanna get home safe everyday to see my new little daughter and my 2 kids - best part of my day. Hence I have not engaged in the SCR thread for ages.

I have definitely slowed down, stopped any "risk" taking and picked a quiet route to the office, even though it is a bit longer.

I will rise to the odd race, but not take too much from it.....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I had the same problem after getting rammed off my fixie by an angry driver in April 2009. I had a few dodgy days getting back on the bike and then felt ok with it. Then as winter came around I wanted to start riding my (repaired) fixie again, but every time I rode it I kept thinking of my crash. I just stuck with it, and concentrated on the aspects of cycling and commuting that I enjoyed the most, eventually the fear and anxiousness faded away.

I'm a similar age to you DDD, and got married this year. While I was away on my stag weekend, a colleague of mine was hit by a car while waiting at a t-junction on his motorbike. The result of his accident was an above-the-knee amputation of one of his legs. This again made me think about my vulnerability as a cyclist. The problem is an accident like that can happen to anybody at any time. Should something like that happen to me the thing I would miss the most would be cycling.

So I've basically decided that I'd rather continue to enjoy the things I most enjoy while trying to keep myself as safe as I possibly can.

Not to mention all of the long term health benefits of regular exercise that you get from cycling.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    MFTU.

(What did you expect?)

Yeah, +1.

Sounds a bit callous, but really you just need to swallow your fear and get on with it. Caution is no bad thing, but if you're reacting to cycling like you do to mice, then that's an issue.

BTW, DDD, this is a good DDD thread.
  • Can completely empathise. I don't think I am far off getting back on the bike after my spill and it will be interesting to see how I feel. Mentally I have prepared myself by deciding the commute will now mostly be done at a steadier pace and on quieter roads than before. I will now get my kicks from fast riding, and my cardio exercise, by buying a fun road bike that I will take somewhere where knobbers who are inclined to suddenly pull out on me are fewer and farther between. Sadly the commute will now have to be about safely getting to work and back rather than fun.

You must remember, however, that your particular incident was incredible bad luck.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    People say you return to confidence and it is true, however you will learn lessons and ride accordingly. I am definitely more cautious due to offs - for instance i now never stand on the pedals at lights until I have some momentum in case of a chain slip. Or if a bus has stopped and I can see a gap to filter in I will expect someone to be turning right from opposite direction etc etc.

So you will probably become confident again, but just avoid Create riders like the plague.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    edited November 2010
    Greg66 wrote:
    MFTU.

(What did you expect?)

This is really the only answer.
    Get on your bike and get on with it. Anything else is just admitting defeat.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sorry but MTFU is the only answer. You had a minor ding DDD, these things happen. The longer you spend off the bike the worse it'll get. I was back in the saddle as soon after surgery as I could - even before the doc recommended. Was the best thing I could've done. Was a little nervy for a while, but now the only time I feel nervous is whilst descending - have slowed down massively, as those who came to the Alps will confirm!

You know the stats, its not dangerous so get back in the saddle and get on with it. You're probably more likely to come a cropper in your car than you are on your bike.
  • I think you just can't let it build up into too big of a 'thing'. The more you think about it, the more it gets larger and larger in your mind as an obstacle to overcome. You just have to get back on the bike.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • DDD, it's time for a change of clothing.

In terms you'll get, from this:
    chicken_suit_costume1.jpg

to this
    ghost-rider-superhero.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The longer you spend off the bike the worse it'll get. I was back in the saddle as soon after surgery as I could - even before the doc recommended. Was the best thing I could've done. Was a little nervy for a while, but now the only time I feel nervous is whilst descending

+1

After a minor off on wet leaves that left me with a farked shoulder and two months out of the saddle, I also felt nervous about getting back on the bike, particularly now you can't see the road for wet leaves...... :(

As everyone else here has said, just take it easy to start with and don't overanalyse. As FDR said;

"We have nothing to fear but Fear itself"
    "And spiders"
    :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    MFTU.

(What did you expect?)

it's not sufficient but it's right

DDD have you ridden again since? your off was fairly specific circumstances.. I mean being overtaken by a hipster on a create bike with one pedal that's going to take a lot to come back from

you're worried about a vehicle rolling over you after you spill? the chances of that happening are really really slim
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave the house?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DDD have you ridden again since? your off was fairly specific circumstances.. I mean being overtaken by a hipster on a create bike with one pedal that's going to take a lot to come back from

FCN modifier of only having one pedal?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    killgor-4.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Aidy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

FCN modifier of only having one pedal?

the dude was on a create bike if they hit 20mph they crumble to dust
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I was "off'd" last Monday for the first time, 2 days later a guy right in front of me went down. Makes me more cautious, but certainly has not put me off.

My only thought when I cycle is to get to the other end alive, and uninjured, so ride pretty cautiously, (but still get in a bit of SCR on Maryhill Road!! :wink: )

It was "your turn" for a tumble, bound to happen at some point, just make sure that when it does happen you have been as safe as possible. For example don't shoot through small gaps in traffic at speed, an "off" then could be catasprophic. Just be sensible, take into account the bad drivers and cyclists, be a safe one.

Love it, ride it, live it!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    I haven't had a serious off since I was at school (touch wood), but I've had plenty of near misses. I am however conscious that I ride a lot more cautiously than some (I tend to filter a lot slower than everyone else) and only ride fast when conditions allow. So, riding more cautiously after an off isn't a bad thing; in fact, it's a good thing.

Confidence only comes from doing the thing that you aren't confident about. The more you do it, the more you'll regain your earlier confidence. So get back out there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I think you just can't let it build up into too big of a 'thing'. The more you think about it, the more it gets larger and larger .

*Snigger* :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    MTFU +100

Get knocked off, get up and carry on. I've even had to ride home after being splattered by cars/vans (well hobbled home) on a few occasions. On one such occasion I had a broken wrist and bent top tube to contend with........

Good job you don't do MTB'ing then ? Crashing is all part of the fun. :lol:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    fossyant wrote:
    MTFU +100

I Get knocked off, but I get up again,You're never going to keep me down
    I Get knocked off, but I get up again,You're never going to keep me down

Oh Donny Boy
    Donny Boy
    Donny Boy..."

FTFY
  • Sometimes I think a little 'incident' where no damage is done helps, it makes you realise you are not invincible, it makes you take a little more care, it may even make you slow down a tad here and there. Nothing wrong with any of that, treat it as a wake up call, a reminder to take a little more care (even if it was unavoidable)...and carry on enjoying what you do.

If I gave up everything I do that has some sort of risk attached to it I probably wouldn't leave the house.
  • If I gave up everything I do that has some sort of risk attached to it I probably wouldn't leave the house.

Yeah, you'll probably want to be careful about that. At the start of the decade some 2 million people were injured a year in their homes (stats from the RoSPA). Perhaps you should hang around somewhere less risky?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    If I gave up everything I do that has some sort of risk attached to it I probably wouldn't leave the house.

Yeah, you'll probably want to be careful about that. At the start of the decade some 2 million people were injured a year in their homes (stats from the RoSPA). Perhaps you should hang around somewhere less risky?

Have you seen the figures on how many people die in bed? Never go near the things :wink:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    will3 wrote:

Have you seen the figures on how many people die in bed? Never go near the things :wink:

And old age. Don't get old. That's the key to a safe life.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Sometimes I think a little 'incident' where no damage is done helps, it makes you realise you are not invincible, it makes you take a little more care, it may even make you slow down a tad here and there. Nothing wrong with any of that, treat it as a wake up call, a reminder to take a little more care (even if it was unavoidable)...and carry on enjoying what you do.

Likewise it can help you realise that you're not made out of glass and you won't shatter into a thousand pieces at the merest touch. humans can be quite resilient to knocks and bumps.

so long as you're careful not to put yourself knowingly into danger thinking you're completely untouchable you're probably less likely to panic when a situation arises where in trying to avoid a minor scrape a rash panicked decision can put you in a much more dangerous position (like when noobs do things like filter down the side of buses at junctions because they're afraid to wait with the traffic and instead want to try and get to the 'safety' of the asl).
    Hat + Beard
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I had a nasty off about five years ago when my laces caught in my chain and pulled me over into the middle of the road. I still remember the acceleration of cold/hot sweat and looking behind me expecting to see a car screeching, smoking from the wheels and then the horrid pain.....but there was nothing there. There wasn't a car even on the road anywhere... I was lucky.

I've just read this to my son -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Jelly-Men-Cl ... 872&sr=8-1. Get it and read it. You'll soon get back on your bike. Do not imagine the worst case scenario.

Good luck mate in regaining your swagger on the bike. I agree that a confident cyclist is a better one.