Are hybrid riders the most miserable?

13»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Miserable? Rarely when I'm on a bike. But I get a right strop-on at blind prejudice... :twisted:
    Blind? We see the misery every day ;)

IME I do get nods/smiles more often from roadies and MTBers. That's just the way it is. Peeps who're just using the bike as a mode of transport probably think 'who is that weirdo smiling and waving at me?'. Those who use a bike for recreation probably less so (but you never know ;) )

How has this thread got past the above?

Hybrids are bought by people wishing to do a bit of both; commute with a little offroad or somesuch, there are very few cyclists who will buy a hybrid. A cyclist will wave at others as it's the nice thing to do, a person new to cycling wont know this yet hence the blank stares and straining.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Miserable? Rarely when I'm on a bike. But I get a right strop-on at blind prejudice... :twisted:

IME I do get nods/smiles more often from roadies and MTBers. That's just the way it is. Peeps who're just using the bike as a mode of transport probably think 'who is that weirdo smiling and waving at me?'. Those who use a bike for recreation probably less so (but you never know ;) )

Hybrids are bought by people wishing to do a bit of both; commute with a little offroad or somesuch, there are very few cyclists who will buy a hybrid. A cyclist will wave at others as it's the nice thing to do, a person new to cycling wont know this yet hence the blank stares and straining.

What, so they're anally retentive now aswell as miserable? :roll:

+1 btw
  • Alphabet wrote:
    from reading through all of this i have discovered two facts.

1) people who buy hybrid tend to like them

2) people who don't buy hybrids tend to not like them

Woah there nelly... I'm offended by your cheap, antisocial, bigoted, rude, offensive (damn used it already but bugger it), false, stupid and silly summings up - just because they may well be entirely accurate by no way allows you to spread such heinous nonsense in this forum of accuracy, truth and peaceful co-habitation. I demand, nay insist on a retraction of my own comments forthwith...

Whoops.

:D

I still have my mtb frame bought back in 98. I just haven't (sorry) bought a replacement yet as it still runs fine.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Alphabet wrote:

This is, indeed, the kind of rational, evidence led, lucid insight that, by all accounts, should get you banned forthwith......

MODS!
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    So to sum up, when I ride my road bike i'm happy, when I ride my hybrid i'm sad (except i'm not because I chose to buy it) and when I ride my mountain bike i'm happy again?

Best go see my GP and get on some meds to even out my mood!
  • Alphabet wrote:

You IDIOT
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

+1 btw

Being new to cycling is hard, mashing and nodding at the same time takes a lot out of a person, hence the strain
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

+1 btw

Being new to cycling is hard, mashing and nodding at the same time takes a lot out of a person, hence the strain
    Nod, nod

:lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    WesternWay wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

You IDIOT

you're only saying that because you ride a hybrid
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I love my hybrid - disliked my former road bike - too twitchy, uncomfortable and gave me back ache. Hybrid is almost as fast, has a more comfortable riding position plus a little suspension which means more comfort on cycle paths. Since I'm not planning to enter the TDF or attempt the black runs at Fort William the bike suits me perfectly - excellent for commuting and long runs at the weekends - where's the problem ?

Oh - and I'm not new to cycling - I've been riding bikes of all shapes and sizes for the last 50 years
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    PBo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Another happy hydrider here :)

Although my bike has been described as a 'flat barred road bike', so should I start getting a bit more miserable and antisocial?

My flat barred road bike has disc brakes too, so when you've worked out how miserable and antisocial you need to be, can you post it up so I can be just a tad more miserable and antisocial? ta!
    Sorry matey, I've got disc brakes too so I reserve the right to be just as grumpy as you :)

I see your discs and raise you mudguads, rack......and a bell :oops:
    Discs. Hmm.

But I give you:
    - Rear triangle propstand
    - Frame Pump
    - Child seat mount
    And...
    - BB mounted chainguard !

When I take it on club runs, the thing that most puzzles roadies is the child seat mount, rather than the Jota bars.

I admit the full mudguards can be a bit annoying in claggy mud.

But hang on a minute... It says "Giant Expression LX" on the frame... So I guess it's a Shopper!

Should I be extra miserable ? Or just La-La ?

If I build a hybrid with drop bars and Campy Veloce brifters is that still a hybrid ?
  • jejv wrote:
    But hang on a minute... It says "Giant Expression LX" on the frame... So I guess it's a Shopper!

If I build a hybrid with drop bars and Campy Veloce brifters is that still a hybrid ?

Now, riders of shopper bikes are among the most friendly, in my opinion. I should have mentioned this. They seem as likely as anyone to smile, wave and respond to your greeting.

The drop-bars make a hybrid a proper bike, and people say you can't polish a turd.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jejv wrote:

Now, riders of shopper bikes are among the most friendly, in my opinion. I should have mentioned this. They seem as likely as anyone to smile, wave and respond to your greeting.

The drop-bars make a hybrid a proper bike, and people say you can't polish a turd.

But you can roll it in glitter! :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Depends.

Does mybreakfastconsisted ride a hybrid?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Alphabet wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

You IDIOT

you're only saying that because you ride a hybrid

Oh yes... Hmmm, maybe you are on to somethign