Are hybrid riders the most miserable?

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
When I ride in, I see a selection of the same faces every morning, when I'm going along I say, "Good morning" as I pass them. Now, the roadies always at least nod and shout "Good morning" back, some wave. The MTB riders are also, generally very friendly, again with a smile and a, "Good Morning."

However, a good proportion of the hybrid riders are real dour-faced, miserable swines who rarely even acknowledge me. Weird bunch.

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    As a hybrid rider, a freshly scalped roadie is about as grumpy as cyclists get!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    If I rode a hybrid I'd be pretty sad about it too.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Should have been clearer, these are the riders coming the other way. No SCR involved (sadly).
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Greg T wrote:
    If I rode a hybrid I'd be pretty sad about it too.

+1

Sold my hybrid many years ago when depression set in.....Now happy as a pig in sh1t with my fixie and roadie.....
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Not sure if you are out on desolete roads where it might be accceptable to shout at strangers, but I for one don't want some chirpy bod interupting my thinking time. Greeters are the height of anti-social behaviour as they believe themselves to be so special that all others out and about minding their business should stop what they are doing and to shout back a meaningless greeting.

The hybrid is my time to wallow in depression, and greeters ruining it should be hosed down with freezing water.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I figure that, in general, people on decent road/mountain bikes are on them because they enjoy cycling. Whereas people on hybrids are more likely to be on them purely as a means of transportation.

Former group should generally be happier to see other cyclists than the latter.
  • Sc00bs
    Sc00bs Posts: 27
    Nice dav. Agree cycling alone can give one some nice quiet time - no need to begrudge a cheery, chirpy soul though (or have I missed an element of sarcasm in your post?).

I ride a hybrid and am not a miserable sod - far from it! Had a brief chat with a non-hybrid riding chap on the OKR last night in fact. And he was on a trendyish SS - no snobbery allowed on OKR.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
    Albert Einstein
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm far more chilled and relaxed when I'm on my hybrid! 8)

There seems to be a bit more of a camaraderie amongst roadies though, I guess you're more likely to think you have something in common with your fellow cyclist if you're both riding bikes that imply you have a more serious interest in cycling.
  • notsoblue
    Aidy wrote:
    I figure that, in general, people on decent road/mountain bikes are on them because they enjoy cycling. Whereas people on hybrids are more likely to be on them purely as a means of transportation.

Former group should generally be happier to see other cyclists than the latter.

^ This
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Having had one, I would have to say - yes.

Their bikes are sh!t off road and slow on road. A compromise is always the worst of both worlds, not the best.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I have absolutely no idea where this anti-hybrid prejudice comes from, to me as a returner to cycling following many years out they are a sensible solution to many needs - better visilibility from flat bars, generally better brakes, good range of gears and an ability to carry stuff + fit guards - well suited, surely?

To me, riding a road ("Racing") bike through heavy traffic is like driving a race prepared car through traffic. Ditto MTBs, the cycling equivalent of a chelsea tractor anywhere except off road.

Miserable? Rarely when I'm on a bike. But I get a right strop-on at blind prejudice... :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited November 2010
    Hybrids are nothing to get excited about.

Picture this.

Lovely straight road. Your feeling awesome, you're on your road bike on the way to work. Suddenly as you pick up speed the World washes away and your on that final sprint in the Tour de France. You win! The World comes back and you've beaten the lights.

Or

You're on a Mountain Bike riding on the way to work. You're riding all feral as you bounce purposely along a bumpy road. Suddenly the World washes away etc....

Or

You're on a road bike on the way to work for the Daily Mail and you're W1. I'd be miserable too.

:wink:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    SecretSam wrote:
    Miserable? Rarely when I'm on a bike. But I get a right strop-on at blind prejudice... :twisted:
    Blind? We see the misery every day ;)

IME I do get nods/smiles more often from roadies and MTBers. That's just the way it is. Peeps who're just using the bike as a mode of transport probably think 'who is that weirdo smiling and waving at me?'. Those who use a bike for recreation probably less so (but you never know ;) )
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Lovely straight road. Your feeling awesome, you're on your road bike on the way to work.

Or

You're on a Mountain Bike riding on the way to work. You're riding all feral as you bounce purposely along a bumpy road. Suddenly the World washes away etc....

You're on a lovely straight road on your mountain bike, and it's heavy and bouncy and the knobby tyres are whining...

You're on a bumpy road on your road bike, bouncing up and down, wondering if your back or balls are going to be the first to give out from the pain ;)

Compromises aren't all bad - riding around the city, the roads are rough enough to make road bikes uncomfortable, and while the braking of a mountainbike is great, the bikes're a bit lumpy. A hybrid is a perfectly good, practical choice. Nothing wrong with road & mountain bikes, either, but they're not designed for city riding. This is the commuting forum, right?
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You're on a road bike on the way to work for the Daily Mail and your W1. I'd be miserable too.
    :

"your W1" what?
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You're on a road bike on the way to work for the Daily Mail and your W1. I'd be miserable too.
    :

"your W1" what?

"You're" I think. So you proof read for the Daily Mail then? ;)
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    If I had to make a compromise I'd go for a 'cross bike instead. Just cannot see the appeal in hybrids.
  • I have a 2010 one of these. Hybrid or no?

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Products/Bikes/Recreation-Urban/Urban/Bad-Boy/Details/2761-0BR3e-Bad-Boy-3

In either case, I'm not miserable. I've ridden quite a few bikes, from carbon fibre Colnagos, to titanium Merlin tourers, to big full sus Orange Fives, and I know I'd rather have my bike for the journey that I do.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

Was it you who was complaining about cheap shots?

Is "Daily Mail" your most inventive insult?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

Lighten up, man! It's clearly a light hearted dig based on what went before!

Or has it struck a nerve? :wink: (see what I did there with the emoticon?)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

***sits back and waits..... :-)
  • W1
    PBo wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

Lighten up, man! It's clearly a light hearted dig based on what went before!

Or has it struck a nerve? :wink: (see what I did there with the emoticon?)

it's just rather tedious and hyprcritical.

Consisent though.
  • I'm definitely not as miserable as some people round here that's for sure.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Irony, by Bikeradar:
    W1 wrote:
    However, a good proportion of the hybrid riders are real dour-faced, miserable swines who rarely even acknowledge me. Weird bunch.
    As a hybrid rider

This has been a DDD Production.

I thank you.

audience-clapping.gif
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

Easy, was just kidding!
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :

"your W1" what?

Easy, was just kidding!

Oh God, FAIL. I just presumed that was DDD. So in fact it wasn't you anyway.

I don't know how to post pictures, but where's that one of Gordon Brown face-palming when I need it.
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Irony, by Bikeradar:
    W1 wrote:
    As a hybrid rider

This has been a DDD Production.

I thank you.

More "completely unable to comprehend" than irony, by DDD.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Maybe Hybrid riders are miserable because when we stop at lights and say hello to a Roadie they take one look at the bikes we're riding and blank us..... :twisted:

Seriously the Hybrid bad argument is very tired, there lots of Hybrid out there ranging from Almost MTB

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec019787

to Shopping

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pas ... e-ec015558

to what are essentially Flat Bar Road bikes.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/flight-ti
    or
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... gn=froogle

Personally flat bar road bike is what I would prefer to call my Hybrid and is perfect for quick commuting particularly in traffic and I can hit 27 mph on the flat when the road is clear, I doubt I could get a full on road bike that much quicker, and where I could I would expect difference would be mainly down to 23 tyres instead of 27. I could easily fit 23s to my bike and probably will next summer.

Why is it flat bar is cool on a fixed bike, but a flat bar on geared road bike somehow invalidates it?

I’m not miserable of grumpy!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    JonGinge wrote:
    Peeps who're just using the bike as a mode of transport probably think 'who is that weirdo smiling and waving at me?'

Now, that's just rude and prejudiced. If you ride a hybrid, it's because you are ill informed and just want to get around, whereas the intelligent and pure choice of the discerning rider is a 'proper' bike.

What utter bo11ocks.

Manners come from the person, not the bike.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • notsoblue
    SecretSam wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Peeps who're just using the bike as a mode of transport probably think 'who is that weirdo smiling and waving at me?'

Now, that's just rude and prejudiced. If you ride a hybrid, it's because you are ill informed and just want to get around, whereas the intelligent and pure choice of the discerning rider is a 'proper' bike.

What utter bo11ocks.

Manners come from the person, not the bike.

Thats not what I took from JG's post. Someone on a fancy road bike wearing kinky lycra is more likely to be a "cycling enthusiast" than someone who is using it primarily as a mode of transport. Its a bit like someone powerwalking round the park, smiling and waving at the occasional other powerwalker in a snazzy cap and anklewarmers. If they were doing the same to people just walking to the newsagents, or out with their dog, it would be a bit strange. That doesn't make the choice of whether or not to wave and smile a value judgement of the target imo :P