Weight Loss Thread!

13»

Comments

• well done all of you!

Im 20stone, 6'4" and 40 inch waist. my stomach seems to bulge over my trousers otherwise id be 42 waist lol! i remember about a year ago i lost a stone just by cutting out crap, then over xmas i put it back on. now ust over a year later i want to do it again.
    im desperate to lose weight as i used to cycle loads in my teens and now my mates are into cycling and im the one who cant keep up!

i want to get down to 16 stone then see how i am. not sure what weight i should be.

hopefully one day i can be the bikeradar photo of a skinny person stretching out the jeans i used to wear with a big cheesy grin!!
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    This looks like a good thread that could do with a bit of ressurection ;)

After dropping 28kg before getting married and then putting 18kg back on over the next five years I've dug my old Rockhopper FS ( 98 ) out of the garage, had it serviced and am out riding as much as I can to try and shed the extra weight.

I'm 6" and have gone down from 100kg to just under 97kg in a couple of weeks of riding twice a week, swimming once a week and cutting out the crap.

My goal is to be below 90kg by the time my baby is born at the end of November but my ideal weight would be between 80 and 85kg.

At the moment I am trying to get into riding to work twice a week between a 40 and 60km round trip depending on the route taken. The problem is that i live on the side of a very steep mountain range and either i have to ride down and around it to get to work (makes the 1 way trip 35km) or up and over it. My riding on general trails is ok but my climibing is weak and from my house over the top of the pass is around 3km between 8 and 10% gradient.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • Hi,

Glad you have brought this back to mind!

Since last writing I have lost another half a stone in weight and 3 inches off my gut, however I have stopped riding to work. This was getting really boring so I started riding about 4 times a week offroad - even on fire road it takes a lot more effort and an hour off road really can make you work compared to an hour on road!

REally enjoying my riding now - even getting more confident on the downhill stuff!

Zenister - my climbing was horrible until I started riding purely off the road (well, as much as possible) but the old saying 'practice makes perfect' was never truer - I can now get up hills that used to laugh at me and my bulbous wheezing face! The downhill is easier now because I am thinking about what I am doing instead of the fact that I couldn't breathe!

Good luck bud!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    Hi all,

This is a great thread and I would like to get involved - though I'm hoping most of my hard work is behind me!

I'm 37, 5'8" and at New Year weighed in at 15st. This didn't go down well with me having been fit most of my life (I played footie to a decent level up until 3 years ago and only stopped due to a succession of ankle problems).

Anyway, I cycled a lot when I was younger and decided to get back into it so got myself a new bike and hit the trails. It was hard, really hard, to start with but it was also surprising how quickly the fitness comes back and the rest stops get fewer :)

Now I am weighing in at 13st 6lbs and feel reasonably fit again.

My goals over the rest of the year are:

1. get my weight down to below 13st (hoping for 12st 7lbs but even my Dr says that this may be a stretch given my muscular build - I have big legs & broad shoulders)
    2. get my time for my regular 12 mile offroad training loop down to 1hr dead (my best so far is 1hr 9min)
    3. Do some form of competitive cycling (XC or MBO or and endurance event of some sort)

Good luck all!
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Since my last post I have dropped another 2 kg but my clothes fit makes me think I have actually lost more via the fat / muscle trade off.

I have also conquered the hill behind the village where I live and have already started commuting to work twice a week (50km round trip). My climbing has come along leaps and bounds in just a couple of weeks. I am no longer out of breath after a short climb and can happily climb up and down all hills on my offroad commute route :)

This week I have put in around 70km with another commute on Friday (should have been tomorrow but something else cropped up) bringing up around 120km for the week and with a days worth of mountain bike skills course to look forward to on Saturday.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
  • Since my last post I've been so wrapped up finishing uni, and getting a new job that the bike has hardly been ridden. Needless to say I've not lost any weight recently, however having seen that this thread has been dug back up, it's remotivated me!
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    zenistar wrote:
    started commuting to work twice a week (50km round trip). My climbing has come along leaps and bounds in just a couple of weeks. I am no longer out of breath after a short climb and can happily climb up and down all hills on my offroad commute route :)
    This is what works for me.

People knock the roadie or commuting thing a bit but a regular commute or road ride is a bl00dy good fat burner, particularly in winter when the trails are crappy and you may not get out on the MTB as often as you'd like. Also the roads always outside your front door so it's dead easy to just nip out and get a few miles in

I lost the best part of 5kg (although I don't have too much to lose luckily) but then put nearly all of it back on after a hernia op. Just working on losing it again :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dropped another couple of kg and now weigh in around 93 (92.5 on a good day), not had any commute time as I've needed the car during the week but will be ramping it back up again from tomorrow.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
  • Might as well chime in with an update from me. Got my self down another few KG to 83, and finally starting to get damn close to my goal. Lost that weight even with eating crap, but had the time to cycle alot, but that will be changing in a week or so once uni starts, looks like I will have to have a bit of self control with the foods I eat over the semester. Good thing is I have a gym membership for once it starts getting chilly here (early october) if it's bad enough to not be able to ride.
  • I was in a similar situation. I ate crap for a long long time and then had some medical issues that resulted in a heart valve replacement. Open-heart surgery at 42 is not a good idea. Sure, I had excuses for being sedantary; I had a hip replacement in 2000 and suffer with arthritis and I'd used that as a reason to be a slob. It took a whole year to get back to full-time work after my operation and I weighed 18st 8lbs at that point. At just over 6' tall I was a proper fat man. I decided that it had to change.

Lots of research on the internet and many lifestyle changes (diets don't work) later I am sat here at 12st 10lbs. My weight fluctuates between 12.5 and 13st depending on what I eat. I am down from 42" waist trousers to 32" and I can wear slim cut shirts (for the first time ever).

These days I am at the gym 3 or 4 times a week, I have learnt to scuba dive, I cycle the 10 mile round trip to work most days (extending the home trip to 15 miles if the weather is good and other things allow) and yesterday I went out for my first MTB ride.

I'm lucky to live on the edge of the Peak district so I headed to Eyam and did an 18.5 mile (mainly off-road) circuit down through Rowland, Hassop, Bakewell and back up. I've also done a 35 mile road trip around Chatsworth and down through Matlock; something I could never have done 2 years ago when I was at my heaviest. Unbelievably (to me) I could have cycled for longer.

All the advice you read is correct; don't aim for rapid weight loss as it will only come back and de-motivate you. About 1 - 2 pounds per week is ideal.

You will lose weight more quickly at the start but don't get disheartened when the weight loss rate slows or you even put on a pound on ccasion; just stick at what you are doing. Don't feel bad if you have a treat or "cheat meal" once a week, just don't let the frequency your cheat meals creep up.

The formula for weight loss is simple: Calories In less than Calories Out. Adjust your caloric deficit to meet your desired weight loss. Use a reduction in calories, an increase in exercise or (preferrablt) both to create that deficit. Record what you eat; if you don't know what you are putting into your body then how can you know what you need to change? You don't have to get anal about it and after a while you will have a pretty good idea of your caloric intake and be able to "eyeball" a portion size.

Success is dependant on one thing.........YOU. If you fail it's your own fault; if you lie about your calorie intake then your are lying to yourself. It helps if those around you eat healthily also but it's no reason for failure if they don't.

I'll not kid you that it is easy as it isn't; but similarly I'll not kid you that it isn't worth it as it very much IS.

My personal effort was summed up by one comment that I overheard my girlfriend make when talking to her Mum on the phone yesterday. After telling her that I had just been out for my MTB ride she said..............."he has a new lease on life". I wish you all success.
  • MTB riding was a big part of my initial weight loss 3 years ago, in conjunction with healthier eating and various stuff at the gym. Eventually though the high carb & protein combo seen me plateau after losing 3 stone and it was difficult from then on, maintaining was the best I could do. Started at 18 stone and ended up at around 15 stone. I managed to lose some more this time last year when the relationship I was in ended, a mixture of stress from that and the high level of training I used to take my mind off it brought me to around 14 and a half stone and then it was back to maintaining.

7 weeks ago I read about paleo/primal eating and decided to give it a shot. I'm now down to under 13 and a half stone. Better than that though, my appetite has TOTALLY changed. previously I was hungry constantly, having to eat huge meals to satisfy me for a couple of hours, then I would need a snack to see me through to the next meal. Now the food I eat has me satisfied for longer, not feeling bloated, full of energy and just feeling much better for myself. Obviously it is a huge change in lifestyle and isn't for everybody, but no doubt about it, it works.

Good luck with your weight loss folks, there is no better feeling than throwing out old clothes that are too big! I'm ready now for 32 inch waist jeans, first time since I was 18, from 40 waist just over 3 years ago.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Have already lost most of that 5kg I was talking about so am happy - just need to keep up regular cycling, and top up the MTB'ing with a few blasts on the roadie bike when I can't get onto the singletrack.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ended up doing my knee a bit of damage somehow, so havn't been on the bike for a few weeks, and have been watching the kgs come back, up 2.5 on what I had lost before. Still happy with my weight for the most part, but really want to hit my targets. Once the doc gives me OK to start getting back in shape, i'll be well happy!
  • Think it's about time i posted on here, im 37 and at 5-10 and 16 stone with a 38inch waist im far from fit which is one reason i have agreed to do a 150 mile charity bike ride over 3 days in september to raise money for a childrens ward where a work mates little one is being treated long term. Out of the 5 or 6 of us that are planning to do the ride i am the most unfit out of the lot so dont want to let everyone down.

Me and a mate have worked out a local training route around the local country lanes that is 18 miles long. Only been out twice so far but on the second time we went round in 1hr 52m which was a huge 23mins faster than the first time. Hopefully now the better weather looks to be coming in i hope to be doing this 3 times a week.

Really could do with shifting the weight as the distance im not having a problem with it's the hills that really punish me being so heavy.

Wish me luck :)
  • John7474 wrote:
    Think it's about time i posted on here, im 37 and at 5-10 and 16 stone with a 38inch waist im far from fit which is one reason i have agreed to do a 150 mile charity bike ride over 3 days in september to raise money for a childrens ward where a work mates little one is being treated long term. Out of the 5 or 6 of us that are planning to do the ride i am the most unfit out of the lot so dont want to let everyone down.

Me and a mate have worked out a local training route around the local country lanes that is 18 miles long. Only been out twice so far but on the second time we went round in 1hr 52m which was a huge 23mins faster than the first time. Hopefully now the better weather looks to be coming in i hope to be doing this 3 times a week.

Really could do with shifting the weight as the distance im not having a problem with it's the hills that really punish me being so heavy.

Wish me luck :)

Good stuff, I'm 6'2" and was nearly 21 stone before Christmas, now 19.4 and dropping every week. Doing 10-11 miles twice per week on the road, now doing it in 53 minutes and doing 12-16 on a weekend at a trail centre. As others have posted, seem to have lost more than my loss in inches and havent felt so full of energy for ages. I'm quite a big guy naturally and 15 stone is a very fit weight for me, so hoping to hit that by Christmas. Loads of people post about the start of their fitness recovery journey, but not many with the results! Keep going and post your progress in a couple of months! :D
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I've been off the bike for a long time (almost 2yrs) and it may be for good so I've had to find other ways of getting in some sort of shape. I never really lost weight much when training hard on the bike - the two never seemed to go together, eating for the training rides and racing / events and losing weight.

I've taken to doing some quick paced walking, a 2.5 a 3 and a 5hr walk each week at night has kept things ticking along over winter and now for the first time in ages, I'm down to 12 stone (5ft 10.5), a BMI of 23.6 still. So, 12lbs to shift over the next 2yrs should be manageable to reach my target of a BMI of 21.9.

Dumped alcohol completely and refrain from bread where possible, skip a meal now and again and don't eat much in the evening. I don't mix proteins and carbs in my evening meal however when I did train I would always have a post ride meal of banana milkshake and Rego plus a tin of tuna (not in the same bottle!) and put on quite a lot of muscle.

Lastly - when you're still warm from your ride do 15 mins of quality stretching, more if possible. That last tip is my No1 Top Tip if truth be known as I think it was my downfall, not stretching enough and training / riding hard. 28th Feb' and back to the surgeon's to hear the results of a 2nd MRI scan on my L leg.
  • This thread is awesome may i join?

21 year old bloke 5.9 and weigh in at around 98kg (15.5 stone) :roll: with a broad build and a fair bit of muscle

way to much beer and to much food as a student... great fun though :mrgreen:

started playing rugby again and have ditched my gears again and am starting some weight training

so hear we go target is around 85kg (13 stone)

currently ride around 75 to 100 miles a week next hurdle is to beat a mile running

lost over a stone since i graduated at the end of july

cheers
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!