Weight Loss Thread!

Comments

• floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    I managed through a combination of walking (too cold for cycling) and watching the calories (used an online calorie counter.. livestrong.com ) and managed to shift the entire weight of the Orange 5 (28lbs)
    I started in November and now weigh 8st 3lb (52kg.) .... (im only 5`1" though).

Dave.
  • Milzeh
    Milzeh Posts: 17
    Why do people call them Halfrauds but still use them? There's thousands of other places to choose from. If you think you're been getting ripped off & continue to go then you're insane. Apparently Halfrauds do seem to attract all the village idiots.... :shock:
    Marin hawk Hill 2007
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    edited March 2011
    I'll throw mine in as well then, bought a Claud Butler criterium ( I know, low end but very nice all the same) on January 7th this year, first ride on the 9th of January weighing 13' 10lb. 8 weeks later I'm now 12' 2lb. 10 mile commute 4/5 days a week, a 25 mile ride on a Saturday and the mountain bike on a Sunday for 15 miles or so.........................and stopped eating sausage rolls :cry:

Forgot to add. 45yrs old, 5'10.......and now 12 stone dead! Thighs must weigh half that now though!! lol
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I'll join in as well.

Now am 5' 11" and 232lb with an ever increasing waist line.

I'm 40 in September and want to be below 200 at least.

Cross trainer an hour a day and watching food. Will be out on the bike 3 times a week at least as the nights draw out, so should hopefully see the weight come off.
  • I started the year at 15st(5'7", aged 42 M), two of the other lads at work and I decided to do the Corrieyairack in July so no messing about!
    I've lost a stone, weigh in is each 2 weeks sunday am. Only had booze on a Burns Night and last weekend when snow was bad and couldn't even walk the dog!!(too deep for her but I could walk to the local!)
    Been walking in the hills about 15-20 miles a week and only just started going out on the bike until the snow returned(like the Arctic up here, still. Knee deep snow at 270m above sea level today while out walking the dog).
    Walking has been brilliant- 2-3hr walks in the snow like Rocky training in Rocky IV !!!!
    The weight hasn't moved in the last month but all the clothes are getting looser, been doing upper weights at the gym twice a week to try and ensure the reduction in calories doesn't strip muscle preferentially to fat.
    Food is simple- usually porridge and banana for breakfast, salad with salad and more salad and tuna for lunch and a spud with cottage cheese for tea.
    Living in the sticks is good, nearest shop is 7 miles away in the evening so as long as there's no chocolate/crisps/ice cream in the house there's no temptation....
    I'd be more than happy at 13st, I'll never be a skinny person thankfully and as someone who struggles to get a helmet to fit I reckon my head is at least half a stone heavier than some of the peanut heads out there :lol:
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    ... as someone who struggles to get a helmet to fit I reckon my head is at least half a stone heavier than some of the peanut heads out there :lol:

:D I know what you mean.

Currently down to 16st11 so it's slow but it's heading in the right direction. :)
  • Sundays weigh in was 13st 12 so it's slow but steady. My strategy now is to start upping the intensity and frequency of the biking, both road and mtb, and as a former jogger many moons ago I couldn't go back to that for weight loss, but am giving some serious thought to some Fartlek style intervals while out with the dog once the snow has gone, sprinting and walking as I want to shift some flab but not eat the muscle like distance running does. 8)
  • I'll jump in on this thread if I may......

Currently 18st 5 at 5'10"ish with an ever expanding spare tyre. I ride both road and MTB but I'm currently terrified of getting on one of my bikes and breaking it - according to my Lapierre manuel, I'm about 3st too heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work varying shifts so making exercise plans is difficult but will just fit it in as and when I can. The big change is going to have to be in my diet, someone gave me a simple mathematical principal to tackle it;

less pies + less beer = less belly!
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    A little over a year ago I weighed 104kg (I am only 5' 6").
    Decided enough was enough and I had to do something about it.
    Through a combination of exercise and healthier diet I now weigh 76kg.
    I decided that mtb'ing was gonna be my thing and now I generally ride 3 or 4 times a week, clocking up 60 - 80km a week.

I never though it possible but I actually enjoy exercise and particulary riding my bikes.

Good luck with your endeavours, I have about 2 or 3 more kg to get to my target which was 30kg weight loss.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."
    (Bruce Lee 1968)
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    This is a fantastic motivational thread, All great stories and the best of luck to you all,

My story:
    5' 8" short, 13 and a half stone
    Always been a solid lump, not muscular but no beanpole. Cycled quite a bit last year and got my weight from 14st to 12st 11lb and obviously put a bit back on over xmas.

Started commuting two weeks ago and am doing 15 miles a day, minimum 4 days a week. Found the cardio side is still pretty good but have no power in my legs yet.
    Gave up the following for lent: Tea, Coffee, Carbonated drinks, Crisps and Chocolate. Nothing like setting a challenge for yourself :lol:
    Target weight is 12stone or just under.

Not so worried about actual weight so much as my shape tbh.
  • It is a good thread I'd agree- what I'm coming around to thinking is that there is such a vast array of body shapes/feet sizes/head sizes etc out there. The lightest as an adult I've been was 10.5 st and I looked awful. Even at 12st when I met my partner she later commented a year or two on(once she'd porked me up a bit :wink: :shock: ) that when we first met I looked like "Bod".
    I had been at 16st prior to getting down to 12st mainly through gym work(cardio) and even the very helpful instructor there said I should be at least 12.5st for my natural build, and that BMI etc were useless. My body fat at the time was 15%, the nurse at my practice said I was overweight though- purely going by weight she was although for my age 15-19% bf was the norm so I was at the lower end!!!
    Sizing for clothing is a joke- if it went by height I'd have 36" chest and a 28" waist!! Many drysuit companies do this and there's only one British firm who recognise that this is a joke so introduced a medium broad size (up to 5'10" and 46" chest) which has been snapped up by many I know!!
    I can still do a fair few full extension pull ups, press ups and a 2 minute plank so it aint all flab!!!
    It's funny how people equate thin with healthy too, our apprentice, 15 yrs my junior and thin couldn't do as many press ups as me, sagging in the middle too. i brought in my blood pressure monitor and turns out his resting HR was knocking on 100 and his blood pressure was high :lol: :shock:
    So- weight is never the full story of how you are doing....
  • I agree completely.

Although I'm most definitely, very overweight at the moment I have been lean and fit in the past. I have a naturally broad frame, wide shoulders etc and retain mass mainly in my legs so even when I am in shape I'm still very heavy.

When I was younger I spent time in the forces and also boxed and this resulted in me being super fit at the time with very low body fat and a flat, trimmed stomach (not the plate of jelly it currently is).

I found that my ideal weight was about 13.5 to 14 stone as I retained both stamina and power at this size, had a low body fat percentage and carried a decent amount of muscle.

This was the best I have ever looked, felt or performed yet the BMI charts still showed this as being overweight and I was always being told (by people I could outperform) that I needed to lose another two stone to be healthy.

It's most certainly something which can only be judged on an individual basis and not something which can be done with charts!!!!

Anyway - only 4.5 stone for me to be back to that shape so I'm thinking of a twelve month target.
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    I'll join in to if I may.

Just getting into biking since beginning of Feb, bought myself a Cannondale Trail and live up in t'dales. At xmas I weighed 19st 2lb and am 6ft high, this is as a result of playing American football for the last few years, anyway retired now and need to try get fitter. Am doing 4mile bursts around where I live a couple of mornings a week with the dog and trying to do a bit more on a weekend but thats mainly family time. anyway waffling a bit now but weighed last friday at 17st 10lb's so really pleased with it so far and is spurring me on to get out of bed earlier to have a blast before work, also the weather at the minute helps. Looking forward to posting more success.

Woody
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • Alright guys, i'm back in the game!

Got out for first serious ride yesterday, and realised how un-fit I have gotten over the past months of eating fatty food and drinking too much, with little to no exercise.

I watched my weight creep back up a few KG, so time to start getting into game mode now!

Currently weighed 89.2kg this morning, so by the end of the month of April, i'm shooting for 86.2kg on the scales.

Let's get this thread back alive!
  • The pounds are still dropping off, largely due to loads of training at the gym for me. Been riding the Monkey Trail @ Cannock a few times - riding there tomorrow as well! Good to see so many people with a good focus on getting trimmer!
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Sweet, just weighed myself after a week of quite intense riding!

After lunch and everything, at 425pm here (hour ahead of england) I was down to 88.1 Sweet!
  • Right, time to start with a gusto.

Weighed myself today and came in at a whopping 18stone 4.

Beasted myself up a mountain today (walking not riding) so had a good amount of exercise.

I'm aiming to lose 7ib over the next two weeks as I think it's a fairly healthy amount and not a hugely distant prospect.

How's everyone else doing so far?????????
  • Ransaka
    Good to see folks doing well. I'm doing shite. 16st 13lbs and not moving as I keep eating rubbish. Drives me mad, I follow my set calories really well and then bloody boredem eat and shovel more rubbish down my neck than a fat guy at an all you eat buffet. Anyone know any good mental tricks for beating the cravings for crap food?
  • What ever you do, don't keep the crap food at home. If you do get it at home, you lose motivation. Works for me at least. As far as when out and about, just gotta try not to go down the choco isle or other unhealthy places.

I normally buy apples and oranges and fruits, and when I've got the munchies, munch one of them!

Waiting till the weekend to weigh myself again, but hopefully should be down in the 87 range this week!
  • DaveHudson
    Still commuting and still given up all the lent stuff, It's been tough I'll admit that. I'm absolutely clucking for a cup of coffee! :lol:

Not bothered weighing myself as that's not exactly my goal, it's all about body shape. I have lost an inch or so off the waist and am feeling a lot more trim. Still a fair way to go, I'm going to do a low carb diet for the next couple of months to see if that shifts the belly.

Hope everyone else is still doing well.
  • I'd only lost a pound last weigh in- had 2 days over at my mums that week and ate a load of crap like crisps/chocolate etc.( But without being crude the weigh day was pre-dump so not sure if it's accurate!!) I was fencing off the garden last Friday and the trousers are starting to fall off the backside so something is working. Did a 7mile walk and then 2.5hr bike after in the hills on saturday, 7 mile walk sunday, 26 mile bike on monday in the howling wind with a steady 700ft climb, knackered yesterday and off out on the bike once I've finished this!
    KEEP IT GOING EVERYONE! 8)
  • I keep getting told that bread is fattening and if I stop eating it I'll most likely shift half a stone instantly? Is this an urban myth?Problem is though- Hovis Seed Sensations, addicted....probably poppy seeds the fly bast..... :shock:
  • Carbs, which are found in Pasta bread and rice, are very useful for your body, they are full of energy and extremely useful for cycling. Just be careful to not eat too much, or too late in the day. Everyone has a special time they won't eat it after, but it changes for every person. I personally only eat carbs at lunch, but alot of people eat them up until 6 or 7 pm at night, depending on sleep patterns.
  • DaveHudson
    I'm cutting down carbs after lunch basically, I have weetabix for breakfast, large salad box with a chunk of french stick from the local sandwich shop at lunch, Then a light evening meal of either stir fry or salad with lots of protein (which I think helps the muscles repair??)

Protein takes longer to digest than carbs so it's a good food source to stop you feeling hungry mid-evening. A really good lean source of protein is beef jerky, It's not cheap at £2 a pack in tesco but it really does stop me feeling hungry for ages.

Carbs are good in moderation, you need a certain amount to keep the body fuelled but if you take in too many then the body stores it as fat.

All of the above is imo, I managed to lose a bit of weight last year from following those ideas. Another thing to do is avoid processed foods, If you make it you know what went into it.
  • mattblue
    mattblue Posts: 88
    I am now using an iphone app to keep tabs on my calorie & fat intake - being honest with myself is the only way to lose weight ! - it also has a built in function where u enter what execise/weight you have done and tells you how many calories youve burnt....and its free !!
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • Ransaka
    So, nearly a month on for me and I'm slowly de-fattifying, 16st 9 but about an inch and a half slimmer so win as far as I'm concerned. Intending to really up the weight loss this month with healthy food and a metric fookton of biking. How y'all doing in the tub stakes?
  • Hi all,

Been reading this with interest - I started riding again about 8 months ago but only really got into it properly about 3 months ago now.

The problem is that although I am riding about 80 miles a week (60 commute and 20 off-road) I dont seem to be dropping from 16 stone (5' 8") and to be honest its starting to bug the bejesus out of me! Yes, some things fit better than they did (but not much) and yes I still eat stuff I shouldn't (but no more than I did pre-riding) but why isn't the weight 'dropping off'?

Is it really about diet so much - I assumed that since I was not putting on weight with the amount that I was eating, then simply adding in 80+ miles of exercise a week would mean weight loss!?

Help! :?
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • Ransaka
    I believe someone said you can't outtrain a bad diet and I think they're right. My weight barely moves despite cycling if I eat crap but if I cut down on saturated fats and choose nuts and fruit over processed stuff I've noticed my weight comes off a bit quicker. Stick with it, it'll happen. Plus, you'll have added some muscle mass if you've only recently got back into biking.
  • I've a new bike (C2W Scheme) coming in the next week or so and one of my main aims is to lose some weight. I used to ride a lot when aged 13 - 16 but hardly at all since, and over the last couple of years (28 now) have done very little regular exercise due to a succession of ankle injuries. I'm hoping that commuting to work, plus using the bike for some XC fun in the evenings, along with some diet tweaks will see some of the surplus weight come off...

I weigh around 15 stone at the moment, at 5'10". Should probably be around 13 or just under I would think. The commute will be around 5 1/2 miles each way, downhill in and uphill back thankfully. I expect to build up to riding in every day, unless the weathers dreadful, so expect to do about 40+ miles a week. Fingers crossed!
  • It would appear that there is truth on this forum!

"you can't out-train a bad diet" :oops:

Started watching the utter crap that I was eating and have dropped about 3 pounds in the last two weeks - I have upped the level of time in the saddle as well.

Thanks for the advice and good luck to you all!

Cheers

Dave :D
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575