2»

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    beverick wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    How does he pedal backwards but also have a freewheel?

I noticed that and assumed he uses at least two bikes for different stunts. I also assume that some of the stunts would be (comparatively) easier with a fixed wheel - not that I could come close to doing any of them of course.

It's probably not a fixed wheel because pretty much every trick will be a hell of a lot harder fixed. It's just that when you're going backwards, your freewheel will push the pedals round (or you'll just stop - which would look a bit rubbish). try it out - if you roll backwards, your wheels have to turn, if you roll forwards you can freewheel .precisely because it's locked in one direction and free in the other.

I appreciate that, but there's at least one point in the vid where he seems to accelerate backwards as if he's putting pressure on the pedals.

Bob

Sure there's also several points where he accellerates upwards in a sort of flying way.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I wondered about that and looked closer- It looks to me like he's controlling his speed using the cranks when he's going backwards. For example there are points when he wheelies backwards to a standstill, then goes forwards to continue the maneuvre.
    Given that he appears to be able to balance on his front wheel and control his position using his brake while doing so, it seems to me that the above would be relatively easy to master.

Relatively.

Cheers,
    W.

PS I went back and watched the earlier video and it struck me that one appealing aspect of it is missing from the current one- the reactions of the people in the background to what he's doing! Mind you, you get the scenery (and better cinematography) instead...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Yep, definitely a freewheel - you can hear it.

Liked the use of that island in the Forth which was built up to look like a battleship. That ramp by the phone box looked a little contrived though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    bit OT, but this chap might just be the new Danny MacKaskill of skating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgFdn4l ... _embedded#!
  • Absolutely stunning! It's a great advert for whoever it is makes his back wheel. I'm astonished he has any teeth/testicles left given how things must go wrong in training.
  • Like this lots. Off to watch again.
    And chapeau aux mécaniciens, like.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    It has 413,978 views on youtube.

I think 413,977 are me. Just can't stop watching it :D
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    nich wrote:
    It has 413,978 views on youtube.

I think 413,977 are me. Just can't stop watching it :D

Which is pretty amazing, as when I watched it earlier today - there was just over 150k watchers.

The boy has some serious talent (and balance).
  • Alphabet wrote:
    bit OT, but this chap might just be the new Danny MacKaskill of skating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgFdn4l ... _embedded#!

That's pretty impressive too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never seen this before.
    I have to say that I'm disappointed that this bloke isn't riding clipless. I mean, flat pedals on a road bike?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!