New Danny MacAskill video

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
This man is annoyingly talented. Although this is of course very similar to how I ride home in the evenings...

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/danny-macaskill-home.html

Comments

• It's very good but IMO not alot better than the original inspired bicycles video.

However the slide along the pipe at about 4min30secs was impressively simply but effective
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Alphabet
    yeah, problem is he's REALLY effing good, so doing anything new/original/shocking is going to be fairly difficult without snapping his back
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    That kid is effin brilliant. Seen a lot of his stuff. The kid is absolutely quality.
  • I wish my journey home looked like that.

And that I could ride like that. That is incredible.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    chunkytfg wrote:
    However the slide along the pipe at about 4min30secs was impressively simply but effective

+1

I watched that about 5 times :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm actually inspired to go get me a bike that will take some daft stuff.....

Had a try in the skate park on my fixie on Saturday ..... hee hee.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Its not just that he can its the way he does it that makes him look class - his style is just so effortless and thats what makes a compelling watch.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    'E were rubbish - didn't you see him carrying his bike up some steps fairly early on? Why didn't he ride up them, eh?
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Good, very, very good.
    Love the wheelies balancing on the front wheel and going backwards plus the flips. Quite a talented man.
  • That is nothing shy of just plain jaw-droppingly feckin' superb.

Sometimes I'm proud to be human.
  • How does he pedal backwards but also have a freewheel?
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I wonder how many clipless moments he has?

Those hubs sound a bit a noisy .................

He's the Jackie Chan of Cycling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jonnyboy77 wrote:
    How does he pedal backwards but also have a freewheel?

he does not. but he has to move the cranks roll backwards.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    makes parcours look a little lame doesn't it?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    dilemna wrote:

Flat pedals you wally! One of the unwritten (or written if its a UCI Event) is that all riders use flats... SPUDS would be stupid, and would defeat the object, not to mention be deadly.

I ride Trials and just cant even begin to comprehend how he does this stuff.

Incredible
    I like bikes and stuff
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    joshtp wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Flat pedals you wally! One of the unwritten (or written if its a UCI Event) is that all riders use flats... SPUDS would be stupid, and would defeat the object, not to mention be deadly.

Incredible

Less of the personals :evil: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

he does not. but he has to move the cranks roll backwards.

ok. makes sense
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Love the way he cycles on the railings in front of the Police station in Skye,. that'll teach them to confiscate his bike when he was a teenager ;-)

Would have been nice to see more stunts around Edinburgh castle. There's a good vid of him on youtube cycling around Aviemore in his early days.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    dilemna wrote:
    joshtp wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Incredible

Oh grow up! I didnt mean it like that... just saying it in jest. I'm sorry. :roll:

Less of the personals :evil: .
    I like bikes and stuff
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The lazy sod used a camper van to cross the country - what's wrong with cycling it eh......... oh yeh, saddle is too low ! :lol:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    RT @wwwicked I didn't like the new Danny MacAskill video as much as the old, well-known one. It's old hat now, and just more of the same.

Not that I'm claiming I could do it; it's just not "AMG WOW" like the first one was.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I want to go back to Skye
    <a>road</a>
  • Well if I had some castle walls I would be front flipping my tits off too.

Seriously though, would love to see what sort of stuff he could do on a road bike.
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:

+1

I watched that about 5 times :P

It might be impressively simple to you, to me it's simply impressive. And yet...I think my brain had already got sort of ''stunt numbed'' so that, by the time I saw the rear wheel sliding off, I genuinely thought it was a mistake. But no, it was just a different level of skill with added theatre, or showmanship, to it.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Even when I'm dreaming, I'm not that good.

I showed the Inspired video to a 5 year old who has just learnt to ride. Stunned silence all the way through.
    I just hope he doesn't go out to try any of the stunts and injures himself, his Mum would kill me!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Watched last night for the first time, excellent stuff.
    The backdrop of the Scottish scenery adds so much to it. I just pity all the guys "dawn souff" that don't get to see this much, if at all.

There is no doubt he is superbly skillful, and there are quite a few others like him about. I think his fame comes from the fact that he does it on the street, and the first video was so well made.

He comes over as being such a lovely guy, a little shy and overawed by his fame.... just wish I had a little of his balance!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

I noticed that and assumed he uses at least two bikes for different stunts. I also assume that some of the stunts would be (comparatively) easier with a fixed wheel - not that I could come close to doing any of them of course.

I also assumed that the bags on the top of the camper are the twisted remains of previous bikes and, especially, wheels.
    Chadders81 wrote:

Seriously though, would love to see what sort of stuff he could do on a road bike.

I seem to remember that there's a Youtube video of him doing similar things on a road-bike - I can't find it though.

Bob
  • Alphabet
    beverick wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

I noticed that and assumed he uses at least two bikes for different stunts. I also assume that some of the stunts would be (comparatively) easier with a fixed wheel - not that I could come close to doing any of them of course.

It's probably not a fixed wheel because pretty much every trick will be a hell of a lot harder fixed. It's just that when you're going backwards, your freewheel will push the pedals round (or you'll just stop - which would look a bit rubbish). try it out - if you roll backwards, your wheels have to turn, if you roll forwards you can freewheel .precisely because it's locked in one direction and free in the other.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Alphabet wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    jonnyboy77 wrote:

It's probably not a fixed wheel because pretty much every trick will be a hell of a lot harder fixed. It's just that when you're going backwards, your freewheel will push the pedals round (or you'll just stop - which would look a bit rubbish). try it out - if you roll backwards, your wheels have to turn, if you roll forwards you can freewheel .precisely because it's locked in one direction and free in the other.

I appreciate that, but there's at least one point in the vid where he seems to accelerate backwards as if he's putting pressure on the pedals.

Bob
  • Alphabet
    he's got a chain tensioner on though

fixed gear + chain tensioner = baaaaaad