Vittoria tyres any good?

2»

Comments

• Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Soni wrote:
    I have a pair of Vittoria PAVES hanging up on my garage wall, only used them for about 1 week, had more punctures in that week (2 within 8 miles on different tires) and took them off the bike and hung them up on the garage wall where they have been ever since.

They were a lovely comfortable ride, best i've ever had, but terribly unreliable for me....

Sorry to hear that. To help save the planet, could I please provide a good home for them? I will pay postage of course.

Make me a reasonable offer and they are yours, i paid £35.00 each :wink:
  • ombwiri
    ombwiri Posts: 18
    edited November 2010
    Just to add my two penneth worth.

My CAAD 9 came with Vittoria rubinos and while they were extremely hard wearing I just found them a bit too skittish on corners if it got more than a little damp. In the end I just lost confidence in them and switched to some conti's which feel like they are glued to the road.

The Rubino's just didn't puncture though.
  • Jungli
    Jungli Posts: 201
    Which conti's are you using and at what pressure?
  • Conti GP4000S (S not s) are superb. Wish they also came in 24mm or 25mm. The grip is as good as it gets IMHO. I agree they are more surefooted than Vitts, if a bit less plush.

I'm 75kg and ride them at 105psi.
  • 4seasons at 105 on the back and grand prix4000 at 110 at the front. The gp4000 rear kept puncturing. I'm 107kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Conti GP4000S (S not s) are superb. Wish they also came in 24mm or 25mm. The grip is as good as it gets IMHO. I agree they are more surefooted than Vitts, if a bit less plush.

If you want Conti GP4000S in 24, buy two Force Rears!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Conti GP4000S (S not s) are superb. Wish they also came in 24mm or 25mm. The grip is as good as it gets IMHO. I agree they are more surefooted than Vitts, if a bit less plush.

If you want Conti GP4000S in 24, buy two Force Rears!

Intersting - are they identical except the size, and can you buy Force and Attack seperately?
  • Anonymous
    Slightly different 'tread' but use black chilli, and yes...

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... n=pid15466
  • thanks napoleon.

hadn't realised that, so it might be an option. got about 10 pairs of clinchers and 4 pairs of tubs as is, so getting a bit ridiculous mind.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

The 4000S does come in 25mm - at least according to Continental.

Finding them may be another matter.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:

The 4000S does come in 25mm - at least according to Continental.

Finding them may be another matter.

Interesting. The "finding them" is quite important in this instance.

Any ideas where?
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Here: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ONTTYRF320

No difference between GP4000S and black GP4000. Both use black chili (it was not like that when GP4000S first came out, therefore the confusion).
  • Jungli
    So I tried out the Open Paves for the first time yesterday and I'm very impressed!

Very plush and comfortable ride, very grippy and they roll and roll and roll. Can't comment on durability or puncture resistance as I've only done 100km on them yesterday in the chilterns but as long as get punctures too frequently they are staying on. (none yestreday)

They are currently on Mavic Open Pro Rims (Powertap and CK hubs and latex tubes) which I use for all round riding training. I also have a set of DA7850's which I am thinking of using with Open Corsa CX's for sportives and dry summer rides etc. Thoughts?

What differences can I expect between the Open Paves and the Open Corsa CX's?

Thanks!

8)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Corsas roll better
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Jungli wrote:
    So I tried out the Open Paves for the first time yesterday and I'm very impressed!

Very plush and comfortable ride, very grippy and they roll and roll and roll. Can't comment on durability or puncture resistance as I've only done 100km on them yesterday in the chilterns but as long as get punctures too frequently they are staying on. (none yestreday)

They are currently on Mavic Open Pro Rims (Powertap and CK hubs and latex tubes) which I use for all round riding training. I also have a set of DA7850's which I am thinking of using with Open Corsa CX's for sportives and dry summer rides etc. Thoughts?

What differences can I expect between the Open Paves and the Open Corsa CX's?

Thanks

8)

I shelled out the best part of 80 quid on the paves 4 weeks ago and was initially very impressed although I punctured at the weekend. A piece of flint went straight through the central tread. Upon inspection there are loads of cuts appearing elsewhere on the rear tyre. I have used Vredesten Fortezzas all last winter without puncture so was pretty gutted to see the paves cut up so easily, espiecially given their cost. Only moved away from the Fortezzas as they are not good in the wet.

Hope yours last ok too!
  • Anonymous
    I run conti gatorskins in the winter and vittoria corsa evo tech for dry summer and racing days. The V's I put up to 135 psi and they roll soooo well, it is excellent. Contis are more dependable, feel safer in the wet but I do love my vittorias.
  • Jungli
    Hmmm, I've run Conti 4 seasons and also the Gator Hardshell and I don't think either are all that grippy in the wet.. The Hardshell are very puncture proof and did about 1500km with hardly any wear but they are a stiff harsh tyre.

I have a pair of 4000S tyres but I haven't tried them yet and was thinking of putting these on the DA wheels for sportives/events etc.

Hopefully the Open Paves wont be too bad in terms of cuts and punctures as their ride feel is well worth putting up with to a point!

Time will tell. :?