Vittoria tyres any good?

Jungli
Jungli Posts: 201
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
I've never tried Vittoria tyres and I'm thinking about a pair of Open Corsa Evo Tech as a grippy albeit expensive winter tyre...

What are the experiences out there. ?

Thanks

J

:)

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    totally unnecessary, IMO - why risk trashing a £35 race tyre on winter roads. Rubino Pro (or similar) is all you need in winter....
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I was going to get some Rubino Pro but a lot of reviews and peoples comments say they are really bad grip wise in the wet..
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • If you want a better performing tyre for winter, try a fatter one which will give you an increased contact area with the road. A lot of people buy tyres not really realizing that they come in different widths - for a purpose.

Oh, and Vittoria tyres are crap. That's why so many pro teams use them, and that's why they have been the mainstay of the pro peleton for decades now.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    riggsy81 wrote:
    I was going to get some Rubino Pro but a lot of reviews and peoples comments say they are really bad grip wise in the wet..

Here's my review of wet weather performance

Rubino Pro - good
    Michelin Pro Race - good
    Conti Ultragatorskin - poor
    Conti 4 Seasons - average
    Panaracer Pasella - good
    Marathon Plus - average
    Panaracer Stratius Pro - good
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    vorsprung wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:

Here's my review of wet weather performance

Rubino Pro - good
    Michelin Pro Race - good
    Conti Ultragatorskin - poor
    Conti 4 Seasons - average
    Panaracer Pasella - good
    Marathon Plus - average
    Panaracer Stratius Pro - good

Of that list I've used Rubino Pro's and Michelin Pro Race 3's, and both have performed well in the wet.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    OH! I was just warned off the Rubino's due to apparent poor wet grip. I was referred to Gatorskins by both here and the LBS as being good for wet grip.

The Rubino's (Rubini?) were also very heavy.

I guess it is like motorcycle tyres (I spend a lot of time on track on a motorbike) - all based on personal confidence levels and experience. I like Metzler and Perelli, others do not.
  • Never had any issues with my V's
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Thing with Rubino's is they're tough. Very tough. I'm putting a pair through their second winter (i only ride them in winter) and they've not P'd once.

They'll be ready for the bin by the end of this winter but i think 2 winters is great value considering the state of the roads. Maybe try and get 25c's - how much that contributes to wet weather grip i don't know but 23c's are doing the job for me. 25's will definitely be a little more comfy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use and love the Open Paves for all round riding. Open Corsas are fab but won't last a week in our winter! I just use them for racing (if I'm not using my Corsa tubulars...)
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I also use Open Paves for year round riding and have found them really good in the wet until you wear the limited tread off and then they get a bit slippery - but it took over 4,000km to get to that point on a rear tyre - so they last well too.

Not cheap or easy to find - but the best tyre I've used so far.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • riggsy81
    misread the its not the Rubino Pros Ive read bad reviews about LOL :?
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Done thousand of miles on Rubino's in all weathers, they are cheap, tough and roll pretty well and are not a harsh ride
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've got some rubino pro slick and personally I don't rate them for grip - very tough, roll well enough etc - they just seem to slide in the corners pretty easily. Happy to accept others will have different experiences - and I tend to use old race tyres in winter so I may be comparing the Rubinos with them unfairly.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I've got some rubino pro slick and personally I don't rate them for grip - very tough, roll well enough etc - they just seem to slide in the corners pretty easily. Happy to accept others will have different experiences - and I tend to use old race tyres in winter so I may be comparing the Rubinos with them unfairly.

I think the 'slick' monica kind of gives a clue there :lol: Standard Rubino Pro's are the biz :D I use the Tech versions however in the winter, the standards are on my spare wheels for damp summer events. I've switched from Open Corsa's to Diamante Pro's for best as I can't justify the wear rate on Open Corsa's. It depends on your local roads, and mine are C%^p! How someone got 4000k from Open Pave's I don't know? I couldn't get 1000k out of them :cry: Stand up climbs on rough roads take a lot of life out of a tyre, and there's plenty of them where I ride :roll:
  • Tom Butcher
    Accept the slick is a different tyre - but then ProRace are slick as are the ProGrip made for wet weather and I've no problems with them.

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    edited November 2010
    Yeh but pro race is a 'Race Tyre' and very soft, the Rubino a harder training tyre. Seriously, the standard tyre is great in the wet and Kills Conti's! Pro3Race's shred themselves to pieces in no time when ridden on my local roads in the wet - went through 4 in 3 months 2 years ago. Think the latest samples are supposed to be better though.
  • Tom Butcher
    Yes - just pointing out that "slick" should not mean "crap in the wet" - the best grip in the wet comes from slick tyres.

As for Rubinos - I've read mixed reviews of them in the wet but chances are the manufacturers tweak the compounds they use year on year.

• billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    My best mate, who also happens to own my LBS has always recomended and himself run Conti's. Subsequentally, I have too.

I have recently bought a set of 25mm Vittoria Open corsa Evo CX's out of curiosity, and to get straight to the point, I doubt I'll ever go back to conti's again.

The Vitt's are so much smoother, yes some of that can be attributed to the 25mm carcass, but I have used 25mm GP4000 reflex's too and there are quite wooden by comparison. The open corsas just float along the road with a sort of magic carpet ride quality. Its hard to deascribe. I did a quick 25 miles last night down around Maidenhead / Cookham / Dorney and while the road was pretty slippy the tyres were not really a concern. In the dry the grip is immense! And that is a direct comparision coming from GP4000S' beforehand.

The Vitt's seem to be much better made, they ooze quality. Im riding them in all conditions and on all roads. No major cuts in them yet, and no punctures either (touch wood). Cant comment on wear as Ive only done a few hundred miles on them.

I would highly recomend them. Im going to get a pair of 23mm ones for my summer wheels, and maybe a set of Pave's for the GF's bike.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    This thread just goes to show there is no right or wrong answer.
    In contrast to the previous poster, I've not had the best experience with Vittoria's. I've sliced through one sidewall, ripped through another (both EVO CX) and punctured more times than ever before on the pave's (although they did feel quite nice to ride). My mate sliced open his new EVO tech tub aswell after a couple of rides. I'm sure they are great race tyres, but I'm back on GP4000s which just seem to do everything well, including winter.
  • Jungli
    I live in Northwest London and my weekly rides are through to Denham and out towards Burnham and Wokingham.

Weekends are spent riding in the chilterns mostly.

I have been trying quite a few tyres out including the R1's in the summer, the DD's, Conti 4seasons and I'm now on the Gator Hardshells. The conti's IMO are not as grippy as the Schwalbes but they are ok as long as you aren't flinging them into the corners.

I currently have about 1300km on the Gator Hardshells without a puncture and without significant wear. Quite cut resistant as well with only a few tiny ones. (Used to get alot of biggish cuts which I had to constantly superglue). Not quite as grippy as I'd like though.

I do about 700-1000km a month so tyres need to be durable..

Still searching for the holy grail that is the perfect tyre I guess! :shock:
  • riggsy81
    hmmmm buying tyres really is a toughie...

Im just going to go and some Rubino Pros :D
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Vittoria Pave's are an excellent winter / training tyre (best I've used).

I wouldn't go near the Evo (even the Tech) for anything other than racing, they're great tyres but unless the Tech is much tougher than the CXII they will get cut to ribbons on UK roads. I'm not bashing Vittorias, I absolutely love the Evo CXII for crits but seem to average a puncture every 10 miles if I try riding it on normal roads in the wet and as a proper race tyre you shouldn't expect to get more than 1000 miles out of the rear tyre (Pave - loads more miles, loads less punctures).
  • I have done about 1500 miles on my Vittoria Rubino Pro's in all weather and they are still going strong! I have also only had 1 puncture in that time.

I also spend a fair amount of time on track and agree that tyres are very much a personal thing - if you have faith in them then you will generally ride better!

Enough people on V's to warrant purchase and as they dont really break the bank you dont have much to lose!

Lets face it on such thing tyres in the wet - if you have to slam on brakes there are not many tyres that are going to stop you from a fall!

Good luck !
    J
    Colnago M10 (Builld in progress)
    Colnago Arte "09
    Mongoose Maurice Fixie
    LaPierre Zesty 714
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Suzuki GSXR 750
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I love the V's :-)
  • Jungli
    So, either the Open Pave's, Rubino Pro or Rubino Pro tech?

Hmmmm....
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I may have spoken too soon.

Giving my tyres a quick wipe off last night prior to bringing the bike into the flat and noticed a 5mm cut right in the middle of the tread. It didnt puncture, but you could see cut fibres inside. Will have to try and glue it I reckon. Ive obviously been lucky this far.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I have a pair of Vittoria PAVES hanging up on my garage wall, only used them for about 1 week, had more punctures in that week (2 within 8 miles on different tires) and took them off the bike and hung them up on the garage wall where they have been ever since.

They were a lovely comfortable ride, best i've ever had, but terribly unreliable for me....
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I use Open Corsa during spring/summer and Open Pave during the winter months.

The 24mm wide Pave give to a little extra confidence plus are a touch stronger than the Corsa's. Corsa's would be ripped quite easily in our winters but would grip like a vice so it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

My only negative comment about the Paves is that they HATE any metal surfaces. I know road tyres and metal surfaces aren't the best combination but even the Corsa offer some grip even in wet weather, whereas the Paves just want to flip out.

Also both tyres are a doddle to remove and get back on in the event of a deflation.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I have...

Vittoria Open Corsa EVO KX on the BMC most of the year
    Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX on the VN
    Vittoria Rubino Pro on the SS
    Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG for winter/early spring

I like Vittoria tyres!
  • Soni wrote:
    I have a pair of Vittoria PAVES hanging up on my garage wall, only used them for about 1 week, had more punctures in that week (2 within 8 miles on different tires) and took them off the bike and hung them up on the garage wall where they have been ever since.

They were a lovely comfortable ride, best i've ever had, but terribly unreliable for me....

Sorry to hear that. To help save the planet, could I please provide a good home for them? I will pay postage of course.