Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yawn.

I like my funny to be actually funny.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Aidy wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    And I'm faster off the lights than motorcycles.

All motorcycles? :shock: Over what distance? ;)

If you can't do it, doesn't mean that others can't.

Considering a superbike can out accelerate a F1 car, I doubt even you can beat ALL motorcycles off the lights

But if you want to put your self on pole at the Abu Dhabi GP on Sunday and beat them to the first corner, then chapeau sir! :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Aidy old chap. Apart from the astmatic range of clapped out pizza delivery scooters with two speed centrifugal clutches and eastern european 50cc engines there is no competently ridden motorcycle in the world that won't be ahead of you within a car lenght even if your surname is Hoy.

Sorry, just a fact.

And please bare in mind that I've got my bicycle with me and my motorcycles are in my garage. And it's raining. And I'm going home for lunch in a minute.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • If you wanted to read what the motorcyling equivalent of bike radar is go to motorcyclingnews.com. You will be astounded by the contempt that is shown there by some. In much the same way as I am astounded by the contempt that some cyclists show motorcyclists, scooter riders, car riders etc etc etc.. Simply down to each person as an individual and their own brand of muppetry. You get some good and some bad like in ALL walks of life.
  • Aidy
    It's not actually that hard to be faster off the lights than motorcycles.

Choose an appropriate gear, hold a decent trackstand - you've got a couple of seconds to be off whilst they're sorting out gears and balance.

I'll generally be across the junction before they are, assuming they don't jump the amber.
  • snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Considering a superbike can out accelerate a F1 car, I doubt even you can beat ALL motorcycles off the lights

But if you want to put your self on pole at the Abu Dhabi GP on Sunday and beat them to the first corner, then chapeau sir! :D

Now come on snooks let be fair to the man. not really a fair comparison is it? how about a cb500, the classic courier steed versus and cycle of Aidy's choice. So the SB500 has a 0-60 of about 3 secs so that would equate to about 0-30 of probably just shy of 2 secs.

He must be well quick to accelerate like that!!
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Aidy
    SimonAH wrote:
    Aidy old chap. Apart from the astmatic range of clapped out pizza delivery scooters with two speed centrifugal clutches and eastern european 50cc engines there is no competently ridden motorcycle in the world that won't be ahead of you within a car lenght even if your surname is Hoy.

Sorry, just a fact.

And please bare in mind that I've got my bicycle with me and my motorcycles are in my garage. And it's raining. And I'm going home for lunch in a minute.

Note I did say "faster off the lights", not "outsprint".
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Its about mass and I suggest its about 5 feet before the motorbikes overtakes and leaves the cyclist for dust :)
  • Aidy wrote:
    Yawn.

I like my funny to be actually funny.

But then the fisherman will always have more fun than the fish :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Aidy wrote:

Choose an appropriate gear, hold a decent trackstand - you've got a couple of seconds to be off whilst they're sorting out gears and balance.

I'll generally be across the junction before they are, assuming they don't jump the amber.

No.

I am in gear, left foot on the ground. I am holding back slightly shy of 100 brake horses with a very light clutch in my left hand and tempering the throttle with my right.

I am a competent rider and just as good as you at knowing when the lights will change.

You are deluded. No doubt a nice guy, but deluded.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • snooks
    chunkytfg wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Now come on snooks let be fair to the man.

OK Yam R1 0-60 around 2.5 seconds...plenty of them on the road to race with
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Aidy wrote:

Firstly if it's a scooter it's never out of gear and if it's a competently ridden bike it will be in 1st gear already.

Secondly balance? WTF do you mean by that? You sit there with 1 foot down and pick it up as you start moving simple as. Never have I thought 'god i'd have pulled away quicker if it wasnt for the fact i was off balance!

Jump the Amber? Huh? you go when the red and yellow who at the same time. do you honestly wait for the green before going?
    FCN 7

FCN 4

• Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Aidy wrote:
    And I'm faster off the lights than motorcycles....

C'mon then.... ;-)

Somewhere I have a old, wrinkled timing slip[ from a drag track. From memory, it has numbers like 11 secs, 125 mph for the 1/4 mile. That was on a second-hand Bandit 1200 with minimal tuning...and I'm not particularly good at drag racing !

It's all about reaction time; when the lights change you've got to be ready to go.

:-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Aidy wrote:
    And I'm faster off the lights than motorcycles....

C'mon then.... ;-)

Somewhere I have a old, wrinkled timing slip[ from a drag track. From memory, it has numbers like 11 secs, 125 mph for the 1/4 mile. That was on a second-hand Bandit 1200 with minimal tuning...and I'm not particularly good at drag racing !

It's all about reaction time; when the lights change you've got to be ready to go.

:-)

Like I said to Snooks you have to at least make the fight fair. 1/4 mile times are not really fair. a straight 0-30 is about fair imo in the context of the traffic light GP.

To that end imo the only thing Aidy would stand a chance against is a 50cc scooter with a fat bloke on it!
    FCN 7

FCN 4

• Aidy
    I think we've now nicely proved the point about motorcyclists - arguing about "being faster", and trying to prove it, rather than paying attention to what's actually happening.

Thanks for playing :)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    yeah, but I can only remember the headline figures not the splits ! This was a long time ago, given my current stress levels and general decrepitude Aidy might well beat me

:oops:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Aidy wrote:
    I think we've now nicely proved the point about motorcyclists - arguing about "being faster", and trying to prove it, rather than paying attention to what's actually happening.

Not a bad attempt at turning the tables on us but I think you will find it is you who kept making out you were quicker off the lights than motorcyclists. All we did is prove you are wrong. :lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Aidy wrote:
    Seriously, what is it with motorcyclists?

Dunno, what is it? I'm a motorcyclist, although I use my bicycle more. Tarring all bikers with the same brush is as ridiculous as car divers slagging off "cyclists" as a group.
    Aidy wrote:
    Why do they insist upon overtaking you leaving about an inch of clearance, and then cutting across you about 30cm later and stopping, blocking every available filter line?

I don't; and in my experience as a cyclist, they don't. I find motorcyclists give me more room than car drivers do.
    Aidy wrote:
    And then, when they finally manage to make it to the front of the queue of traffic, why do they insist on sitting squarely in the advanced stopping area

No doubt some do, just as some car drivers do. Disobedience for highway markings and other rules cuts across all groups of road users. Just as some cyclists run red lights or ride on pavements.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • snooks
    Aidy wrote:

Erm, point of note....didn't you say....now where was it?...Ah there it is
    Aidy wrote:

So wouldn't it be a fair point to argue that you are not faster off the lights as you erroneously claimed?

ps I'm not a motorcyclist, I just cycle and drive
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

No.

I am in gear, left foot on the ground. I am holding back slightly shy of 100 brake horses with a very light clutch in my left hand and tempering the throttle with my right.

I am a competent rider and just as good as you at knowing when the lights will change.

You are deluded. No doubt a nice guy, but deluded.

+1

In my current case 185Bhp GSXR 1000 in "A" mode bye bye any car under £500,000.....borrowed from my dad!

rather then making this an "i'm faster than you" argument. There are good and bad motorbike and bicycle riders.

Again - I come back to the point about people who have switched to motorbikes and mopeds, from cars and public transport. To provide a cheap fuel and tax, quick alternative to commute on through traffic - i.e. using cycle lanes and basically being menaces that should be shot - these people are not riders who live for their bikes....And know how to handle them.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    And in other news - I am often way in front of the Advanced stopping area.....on my bicycle and motorbike. On most junctions you can be ahead of it and leave it clear for cyclists.
  • Aidy wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:
    I'd personally say it has a huge relevance. You make this big point about bikes not being allowed in the ASL's which I will gladly accept by law they should not be ...

My point is why should they not apply to bikes aswell? They are as at risk of an accident as cyclists when remaining in the queue's of traffic so should be allowed in them IMO.

And yet you have the nerve to complain that cyclists jump red lights.

Good going.

I thought motorbikes were allowed in ASLs now, or has that been reversed?

Personally I always let motorbikes go ahead of me at the lights as I know they can accelerate rather faster than me.
  • Aidy wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Blimey dude. CAn you still do that if i sneak some kryptonite into your saddlebag?
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    Seriously, what is it with motorcyclists?

Dunno, what is it? I'm a motorcyclist, although I use my bicycle more. Tarring all bikers with the same brush is as ridiculous as car divers slagging off "cyclists" as a group.

+100

People are people. Innit?

We're all tribal. Part of the human condition. We're primed to have athem and us mentality and to extrapolate from one example and generalise. It's a strong point, but also leads to such silly generalisations.

Taxi drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists. Some good, some unaware, some incompetent, some nasty. Some just having a bad day.
  • I was sitting on a cycle lane waiting to pull out and the only person kind enough to let me was a teenager on a motorbike.

Shows not all teenagers have bad manners, so much for the motorists.

(50+)
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    UpTheWall wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:
    I'd personally say it has a huge relevance. You make this big point about bikes not being allowed in the ASL's which I will gladly accept by law they should not be ...

My point is why should they not apply to bikes aswell? They are as at risk of an accident as cyclists when remaining in the queue's of traffic so should be allowed in them IMO.

Good going.

Eh? Bus lanes in london, yes. ASLs, no. AFAIK
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    All this talk about who is faster off the lights is a bit pointless in London. Motorcyclists taking up an ASL just seems to mean they're stuck to someone's bumper 50yds up the road a few seconds quicker. Meanwhile the cyclists that are stuck behind them in whats left of the ASL have to put up with exhausts (sometimes angled up on the more sporty models) and then *still* have to overtake/undertake the motorbikes when they get stuck in traffic. Quite often the motorbike will be blocking a gap too small for them that a whole peloton of cyclists could use. I'm speaking mostly of my commute here, which is mostly along the Embankment.

I'm patient enough to not be overly bothered by motorbikes in the ASL holding me up, but its pretty unpleasant being stuck behind one of them and having exhaust fumes blown straight at you. I'd prefer if they were behind me, out of the ASL, but then I would say that :)
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    All this talk about who is faster off the lights is a bit pointless in London. Motorcyclists taking up an ASL just seems to mean they're stuck to someone's bumper 50yds up the road a few seconds quicker. Meanwhile the cyclists that are stuck behind them in whats left of the ASL have to put up with exhausts (sometimes angled up on the more sporty models) and then *still* have to overtake/undertake the motorbikes when they get stuck in traffic. Quite often the motorbike will be blocking a gap too small for them that a whole peloton of cyclists could use. I'm speaking mostly of my commute here, which is mostly along the Embankment.

I'm patient enough to not be overly bothered by motorbikes in the ASL holding me up, but its pretty unpleasant being stuck behind one of them and having exhaust fumes blown straight at you. I'd prefer if they were behind me, out of the ASL, but then I would say that :)

Like bus exahusts though, keeps you warm in winter....
  • JonGinge wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:

Good going.

Looks like they trialled it in Kingston last year:

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/council_and_ ... AIId=13008

i remember a motorcyclist mate telling me they had a trial on this year somewhere too, but can't recall the details...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    UpTheWall wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    chunkytfg wrote:

Good going.

Looks like they trialled it in Kingston last year:

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/council_and_ ... AIId=13008

i remember a motorcyclist mate telling me they had a trial on this year somewhere too, but can't recall the details...

How are motorcyclists meant to know which ASLs they can use and which ones they can't? I'm not surprised that the inconsistency makes them think they can get away with using them all anyway.