Which Team Repainted Frames

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
edited November 2010 in Pro race
In this weeks Cycling Weekly under Grape vine it says

'Which brand of bike proved so shoddy that a European pro team chose to re-paint a more reliable model and ride that instead'

Any idea which team and brand involved?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Canyon repainted a lower model of frame as their top frame because Gilbert and Co. didn't get on with it. At one point Gilbert was using an alloy frame, but with the bike dressed up and stickered as the carbon job.

Ridley have also had a few problems.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    didn't think the canyon thing was a big secret. thought it was just for the cobbles. for custom sizing
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Was it last year that Terry Dolan emailed Eurosport commentators saying exactly how many of his frames were being in ridden in the peleton that day?

Sorry memory fails me on which race and when... sign of old age methinks (or the result of having 4 kids, a cold and little sleep in the last 48 hours)
  • jpb08
    jpb08 Posts: 20
    LA used a Lightspeed Blade badged as a Trek for TT's in 1999 (I think)....
    Synapse SL Liquigas, Eddy Mercxx Flyer, Fondriest Evo Sat, Giant XTC, MKM Track. Merida Carbon team Multivan flx, Kinesis HT....
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    jpb08 wrote:
    LA used a Lightspeed Blade badged as a Trek for TT's in 1999 (I think)....

Is that because he had sold all the Treks? :D
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    The 1980’s Raleigh Panasonic team frames weren’t made in Nottingham (or even in the UK) according to the former team mechanic who now runs a shop on the south coast.
  • This used to be really commmon in mountain biking. It was often said that more than half the US and World Cup field were riding bikes made by either Litespeed or Control Tech.

Didn't think it was going on much amongst road teams now though.

As for Dolan, that's an easy and free way to get a bit of publicity without having to actually prove anything.
  • As it is from Cycling Weekly I would guess that it is a team that will be sponsored by Specialized next season. CW have a habit of being a mouthpiece for the big S.

Alternatively, it could be rubbish as they have a habit of printing that also.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Was it last year that Terry Dolan emailed Eurosport commentators saying exactly how many of his frames were being in ridden in the peloton that day?

Sorry memory fails me on which race and when... sign of old age methinks (or the result of having 4 kids, a cold and little sleep in the last 48 hours)

I always assumed that C/F Dolan frames came from the same mould as others in a shed in Taiwan. He doesn't lay up C/F frames himself does he? Or were the peloton riding some steel masterpieces, a la Boardman in his hour record attempt, badged as other manufacturers C/F bikes?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Terry Dolan frames on the pro circuit my a***. As per the previous post he gets them from a shed in Shenzen like where most of the others come from.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Old news, but didn't Cav ride old Addicts repainted as the new Scott Hoojamaflip in the TDF. Is that what they mean?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Old news, but didn't Cav ride old Addicts repainted as the new Scott Hoojamaflip in the TDF. Is that what they mean?

They were quite open about him riding the old Addict, so it won't be that. We're looking for a whole team here. It'll be a team that changed from 2009 to 2010. My stab in the dark would be Quick Step/Eddy Merckx, back on repainted Specializeds.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    This was commonplace back in the days of steel when big names got involved and hadn't a high end frame. Gitane and Peugeot were Cyfac for a while I think
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Re Quickstep, a Belgian team, backed by, an apparently obsessive Belgian bike builder. Riding Specialized's? Surely not. There would be uproar.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • RichN95.
    Supergoose wrote:
    Re Quickstep, a Belgian team, backed by, an apparently obsessive Belgian bike builder. Riding Specialized's? Surely not. There would be uproar.

I said it was a stab in the dark - absolutely nothing to back it up.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    RichN95 wrote:
    Supergoose wrote:

I said it was a stab in the dark - absolutely nothing to back it up.

Fair doos. In that case I will plump for Footon Cerveto, formerly Fuji. They of the honking team kit.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The Merckxs bikes are quite distinctive though it would have been easy to spot. In fact I can't think of any carbon bikes off the top of my head that haven't got some distinguishing feature.

Maybe for the Vuelta Saxo Bank used repainted Astana bikes because the gears were set up properly :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RichN95.
    prawny wrote:
    Maybe for the Vuelta Saxo Bank used repainted Astana bikes because the gears were set up properly :P

You may be right. I think Spesch provided bikes suited to riders who have been out on the beers all night and really don't know where they are. (Personal experience says you need a Trek 3900 MTB for that).
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Could it have been Mercks/Quickstep? Didn't they have bikes painted yellow overnight for Chavanel at the Merckx factory? Could they have done that if they were blagging Specialized bikes?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    mroli wrote:
    Could it have been Mercks/Quickstep? Didn't they have bikes painted yellow overnight for Chavanel at the Merckx factory? Could they have done that if they were blagging Specialized bikes?

From what I hear the Merckx are designed/made by Pinarello for the Eddy Merckx company (that means they are actually manufactured in the Taiwanese or Shenzen shed)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden wrote:
    mroli wrote:

From what I hear the Merckx are designed/made by Pinarello for the Eddy Merckx company (that means they are actually manufactured in the Taiwanese or Shenzen shed)[/quote

The above statement is true. How many people actually think that their precious carbon frame was handmade in Italy or Belgium??]
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think mine was made in France - could be wrong.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

Depends what your bike is and what you mean by 'made'. Doubtful your frame was made in France (whether that is a good or bad thing is another story).
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Having owned both French and far-eastern manufactured cars, I think I'd prefer my bike frame to be made in tiawan :lol:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    inseine wrote:

Depends what your bike is and what you mean by 'made'. Doubtful your frame was made in France (whether that is a good or bad thing is another story).

I'm not saying I'm bothered either way - it was a top end Look frame now several years old and at the time googling suggested the frame was made in France - though a quick google a minute ago says maybe Tunisia.

By made I mean the tubes cut and assembled into a frame.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    The above statement is true. How many people actually think that their precious carbon frame was handmade in Italy or Belgium??

Well, seeing as I don't own a Merckx, I'm not one of them. I own a Condor which is made in the Far East (I believe, but it doesn't bother me). And that has nothing to do with the OP - which is the CW rumour.

My point was made to repeat something I heard the commentator say when talking about Chavanel's bike in the TDF, which was that he was able to get a half yellow, half green bike from the Merckx factory overnight. Now if these were Merckx bikes (manufactured in China/Taiwan/Belgium/Italy or Hawai), I understand that that would be a "simple" job - there would presumably be a frame in the factory (possibly unsprayed) that they could have sprayed right away and shipped out. If they were riding Specialized bikes, then would they have had unsprayed Spec frames in the factory on the off chance that Chavanel took yellow? Or would they have plonked Chavanel on a Merckx with the rest of his team on Spec? Or is it possibly a different bike than Merckx?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    mroli wrote:
    The above statement is true. How many people actually think that their precious carbon frame was handmade in Italy or Belgium??

Well, seeing as I don't own a Merckx, I'm not one of them. I own a Condor which is made in the Far East (I believe, but it doesn't bother me). And that has nothing to do with the OP - which is the CW rumour.

My point was made to repeat something I heard the commentator say when talking about Chavanel's bike in the TDF, which was that he was able to get a half yellow, half green bike from the Merckx factory overnight. Now if these were Merckx bikes (manufactured in China/Taiwan/Belgium/Italy or Hawai), I understand that that would be a "simple" job - there would presumably be a frame in the factory (possibly unsprayed) that they could have sprayed right away and shipped out. If they were riding Specialized bikes, then would they have had unsprayed Spec frames in the factory on the off chance that Chavanel took yellow? Or would they have plonked Chavanel on a Merckx with the rest of his team on Spec? Or is it possibly a different bike than Merckx?

Think the above makes a lot of sense add in the fact that the Merckx bike looks quite distinctive then I think it wasn't Quickstep
  • I have been informed by a 'source' in the know that Merckx frames are made in conjunction with Colnago and not Pinarello. There was a photo shoot of the Quick step frames getting a new paint job during the tour . They even had photos of before and after. Maybe some frames are built in Asia and shipped in a raw state to the companys . I know that Ridley do most of their colour schemes in house in Belgium.

I dont for one minute believe that a major manufacturer like Merckx would allow his sponsered teams to ride another companys frameset . It would cause untold damage to his reputation and business.
  • Guandong Province is where it's at.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I know Boardman did ride Dolans metal TT frames in the days before CF became all prevalent. Dunno whats going on in the peleton now though - with all the wiggly carbon frame shapes available its harder to disguise a bike. It was much easier when it was just metal tubes.

FdJ TT bikes used to be the same as the Planet X TT bikes. I forget what make they were meant to be ?