Putting the best bike to bed?

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I was reading BikeRadar user Chip'oyler's (I can't remember how to spell it) Viner blog, and he has posted about how he's put his Maxima to bed for the winter.

Who else has a summer bike and a winter bike? Have you put the summer bike to bed? Does this mean I should stop riding the Maxima to work?

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've not put the 'dale to bed just yet, but I'm not taking it out in this crap either.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm riding Red, and plan to until it starts to freeze. The wet weather just means she needs a clean more often.
  • Haven't really ridden the BeOne for a while, it's not that I won't ride it over the winter, more that I tend to ride the Orbea on wet days. There's been a fair few of those of late.

On the plus-side, Walkers crisps owe me a fortune. :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, the cervelo is out of service until march at the earliest. However, I've now started riding the planet-x to work instead of the pearson. Thinking about it I may be a bit inconsistent :?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    bikes need regular exercise or they will become tubby. the benotto will go through winter, only to be replaced by the kona if it snows.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I read that!

My Viner hasn't been out for a while. To be fair, barring the commute I haven't been out for a while. Mt most recent weekend ride was on the winter roadie though, needed the mudguards. So the Viner is more or less in hibernation, although it might come out over winter for any crisp clear days.

@ LiT, are you going to post the Maxima on the "Reader's Viners" section? I may well forward a picture of my Gladius at some point!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    The Magnifica's getting ridden any time I feel like it. It didn't get put to bed last year, it isn't going to happen this year. Getting it dirty is just a reason to clean it. That said, more likely to use one of the other three (all now with mudguards) when it's ickier.
    Thanks for the heads up on Chip's blog, first I heard of it. Looking good...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    only taking good bike out on nice weather days and only when not commuting as cant be bothered to keep changing lights over.

contemplated selling it due to circumstances have significantly reduced my space
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    my summer bike is propped against a bike bag against a raidiator in the spare room not sure what i should be doing with it really. I like to think i'm going to go out on it on my days off but well the weathers nasty atm in saying that I paid less for it than my commuter......
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Cervelo went into hibernation a couple of weeks ago, but that's mainly because the rear mech failed and I've not got round to fixing it yet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Good bike? Put to bed? Never really been an issue for me :(

Until they start putting salt down, it's just a case of cleaning and lubricating more often - I don't think the bike minds the cold.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I've switched to the winter bike a few weeks ago. I only now pull out the nice/summer bike when the weather's good; where "good" means dry. I got separate light clips, so I can switch the lights fairly quickly from one bike to the other. All I can say is that the good bike is such a treat; the winter hack is slow, heavy and, in my mind, is associated with dark, rainy and windy commutes.

The only trouble is dragging the bike from the cellar. I remember not to do that in my road shoes: two years ago, I slipped on the top step and quite unceremoniously slid down the stairs, ripped my then brand new Assos winter gear and had a fantastic bruise on my arse.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2010
    Edit: my post was in entirely the wrong topic. Internet's fault not mine, obviously.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Im on the winter bike, good bike is in the living room on the turbo.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited November 2010
    Summer bike was put into hibernation 3 weeks ago. it will see the light again about mid March 2011 weather depending.

Winter\commuter is now in use although I need to buy a dedicated decent winter training frame and fork.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    The Monkey Man and her ThoughtLostness read me like a book. Not a very good book, but probably one with nice pictures.

What's the world coming to when you get accused of seriousness in the silly thread? I am despairing.

Posting that in this thread is certainly very silly.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Damn you for quoting me before I corrected my mistake.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yep pretty much just been riding the pista for a while now. The squadra might come out if it's a cracking day or a nice weekend ride but the mills certainly isn't going anywhere for a while
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • The Addict went to bed for the winter on Sunday, the next time I'll ride it will be spring. Drive train components wear quicker in winter conditions, plus it's a great psycologicaly (sp?) in the spring to get on a higher performance machine compared to the winter bike.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You precious f*ckers :)
  • My mtb literally went to bed this am, had to hide it as I'd forgotten to put it away and the landlords were coming round...
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Damn you for quoting me before I corrected my mistake.

Mwahahahaha
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Cannondale Six is in my spare room. Caad 9 has taken over commuting duties. Considering getting a Cube MTB, which should handle any snow.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    You precious f*ckers :)

you put yours down recently

sorry
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The Fuji only comes out when its dry. Not because carbon disolves in the wet (does it?) but because it doesn't have any mudguards and I hate the brown stain of shame.

Unfortunately I've removed the front dérailleur from the Boardman meaning I'm now without a winter training bike. Doh! Time to buy a new cable and put it back on I think
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Nope. Bike 1 is on duty for the foreseeable. When (if) we get the cold clear dry days of winter, Bike 2 will come out to play for a cameo.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good bike has been cleaned like showroom new and is living very happily in the living room until at least 2 weeks of good dry weather (might never happen) the first and last trip it did was the Alps back in the beginning of Sept.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mkirby wrote:
    Im on the winter bike, good bike is in the living room on the turbo.

Not carbon I hope?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Karen is upside down, feet in the air, towel over the drivetrain....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Would like to put the best bike away for winter but unfortunately it's the only working bike I have after my previous fettling blunders. Plus i've gotten lazy and used to having gears, seems too much like hard work going back to the fixed gear bike.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010