edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Just got a tin of this stuff:

cohiba-coffee-250g-sm.jpg

Think my brain may explode!

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Nice :wink:

I got sick of the sh*t at work so now bring in a single cup cafetiere; never again will I drink Tesco Classic Rich Roast instant coffee...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • We have nespresso machines here, and an abundant supply of capsules, which I appropriate for my own nespresso machines at home.

Call me a heathen, but it's nice coffee of consistent quality.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    we have bullet coffee and a cafetiere here - decent machine in the kitchen, but unless I'm buying from a shop i tend to just go for spoon dissolving black stuff.

BTW if anyone wants decent coffee in London, head over here:

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

mate of mine runs it. He won the world barista championships (they have a competition for everything these days) and know pretty much everything about cwafee there is to know.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    For the last three weeks, I've not been drinking coffee at home. OJ only for me in the morning.

I didn't think I'd ever write those words.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    We have nespresso machines here, and an abundant supply of capsules, which I appropriate for my own nespresso machines at home.

there was one of those at my last employers offices and I really miss it now I'm back to catering size tins of nescafe gold blend. *shudder*

but as a programmer it's a proven fact I cannot function in my job without caffeine in my system so I make do. :(
    Hat + Beard
  • Stove-top espresso machine here, and a selection of fresh-roasted coffees from around the world. It's not so bad at times.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    We have nespresso machines here, and an abundant supply of capsules, which I appropriate for my own nespresso machines at home.

My wife wants one of those! Are they really that good? I have not tried one yet.

At home we have a plumbed in Gaggia machine that I bought from an auction (it is not a massive one!) - It is a very violent/overkill way of making 2 cups of coffee, but makes a nice feature in the kitchen and means we have boiling water on tap.

At work we have machine that take pre-ground coffee...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited November 2010
    I'm blessed with a fantastic local coffee roaster (http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/), and we get our office tea and coffee supplies from them. At the moment, it's the old standby Old Brown Java.

We use a standard drip filter machine at work, but I recently bought an AeroPress for home, which makes a nice brew. I also have a one-cup filter holder at work (widely used in France, I'm told) for when I CBA to make a full pot.

I do also drink freeze-dried instant, but I don't think of it as coffee, really. I tend to think of it as a different drink, as I would with tea or cocoa. As instants go, I'm a fan of Nescafe Alta Rica.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • We have Nescafe normal powered crap.

I hate you all. :evil:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso wrote:

My wife wants one of those! Are they really that good? I have not tried one yet.

At home we have a plumbed in Gaggia machine that I bought from an auction (it is not a massive one!) - It is a very violent/overkill way of making 2 cups of coffee, but makes a nice feature in the kitchen and means we have boiling water on tap.

I was really anti- them, I had a Krups machine, and my mum had a Gaggia 'Factory' which she still has, then my brother bought me a Nespresso for christmas a few years ago, and I haven't looked back! Waaaaay better than the Gaggia for consistently good coffee.

I do wish they would occasionally maybe get a special edition capsule that was filled with, for example, Illy coffee.
  • cjcp wrote:
    For the last three weeks, I've not been drinking coffee at home. OJ only for me in the morning.

I didn't think I'd ever write those words.

*gasp

Are you having a coffee as soon as you get to work, then?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Alphabet wrote:
    BTW if anyone wants decent coffee in London, head over here:

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

mate of mine runs it. He won the world barista championships (they have a competition for everything these days) and know pretty much everything about cwafee there is to know.

+1, Great place.
  • notsoblue
    Stove-top espresso machine here, and a selection of fresh-roasted coffees from around the world. It's not so bad at times.

If there was a fire in my flat, I'd run back in to get my stove-top espresso machine. Its stainless steel and makes delicious coffee. I tend to keep it as a treat for Weekend mornings though, its strong stuff. Theres something about the ritual of preparation that makes me prefer it to automatic machines I've used.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Stove-top espresso machine here, and a selection of fresh-roasted coffees from around the world. It's not so bad at times.

If there was a fire in my flat, I'd run back in to get my stove-top espresso machine. Its stainless steel and makes delicious coffee. I tend to keep it as a treat for Weekend mornings though, its strong stuff. Theres something about the ritual of preparation that makes me prefer it to automatic machines I've used.

At home we have one from the 70's which was designed by F. A. Porsche. It's a wonderful thing which will still make superb coffee in 100 years. We have lots of kids, so it's in use often.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gtvlusso wrote:

I was really anti- them, I had a Krups machine, and my mum had a Gaggia 'Factory' which she still has, then my brother bought me a Nespresso for christmas a few years ago, and I haven't looked back! Waaaaay better than the Gaggia for consistently good coffee.

I do wish they would occasionally maybe get a special edition capsule that was filled with, for example, Illy coffee.

I can see some unplumbing action in our kitchen and a new Xmas pressie for my wife! Thanks LiT!
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I can see some unplumbing action in our kitchen and a new Xmas pressie for my wife! Thanks LiT!

I'd heartily recommend the DeLonghi cube-shaped ones - I am not a dairy person myself, but it really froths milk well. Like, really well. It does it for you, so no faffing.

EDIT: It's the EN660
  • +1 stove top

I was enlightened into the ways of the stove top espresso devise a few years back, and have become more appreciative of the bean as a result …………I would be mortified to loose my slowly seasoning stove top.
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    At home I use an Aeropress (google it!) with whatever I can get my hands on - currently Union Sumatra. At day job one, they have a site-wide deal with Costa - costa machine, costa beans, costa cups, half costa price, or thereabouts. Day job two and evening job it's generally grit in a cup. Eurgh.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Beehouse-ceramic-filter-cone_419610BD.jpg

Voila.

Filter in.

two tablespoons of your freshly ground (if you can be arsed) coffee

Wet the coffee grinds - let them soak for ten seconds

Then top up with water.....

Here's the art - the more water you put in - in one go - the weaker your coffee will be.

I go for a three top up plan post "soaking" - fewer if your are less manly than me (probably) and more if you are manning up.

It also takes up the space of one mug in your cupboard.

You can get rid of the grinds easily by just throwing the filter away or composting it - if you knit your own pubic hair jumpers.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Highly recommended for Nespresso machines...

http://www.thecoffeepod.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d26.html...

that take 44mm ese capsules.

But the best coffee in London is surely a toss up between the Scooter cafe in lower marsh waterloo and the Lido cafe in Brockwell park.
  • bobinski wrote:

But the best coffee in London is surely a toss up between the Scooter cafe in lower marsh waterloo and the Lido cafe in Brockwell park.

But their site doesn't mention Nespresso at all - only other brands. Surely if their pods worked in Nespresso machines they'd make a big deal of it?
  • Agent57
    Greg T wrote:
    Beehouse-ceramic-filter-cone_419610BD.jpg

That's pretty much what I was describing with my "one-cup filter holder at work (widely used in France, I'm told)", above; only mine's brown and plastic. The AeroPress is faster though, overall, I think.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    The Aeropress is faster, uses tiny and v. cheap (but good!) filters, and looks like a school chemistry set. I prefer the taste - as it's faster, the grounds are in contact with the water for less time so don't burn, and one ends up with less acidic coffee. That's the theory, anyway... Nowt wrong with filter coffee though!
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Stove top pot and whizzed up beans for me.
  • Agent57
    The trixiest part is getting my water at the right temperature. Boiling is too hot, and I've no idea how long to leave it post-boil so it has cooled to around 80 degrees.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    bobinski wrote:

But their site doesn't mention Nespresso at all - only other brands. Surely if their pods worked in Nespresso machines they'd make a big deal of it?

perhaps they cannot?
    i use them in my krups Nespresso and my Delonghi ese machine at work. BUT my krups is several years old and i suspect that while the ese pods just fit in the holder, Nespresso's attempts to circumvent other coffee pods being used mean they wont fit in newer machines. sorry to have raised hopes or mislead.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    at home I've got an espresso machine and grinder.. Also have a cafatiere depending on my mood.

I get my coffee from Monmouth. tastes nice out of these
    raphacapha.jpg

At work I use a gold filter to have nice coffee rather than the stewed filth they serve.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    notsoblue wrote:

No, no, no, no, no! You want one of the proper hexagonal aluminium Bialetti ones - aluminium conducts heat far better than stainless steel.

We did have a Gaggia at work: the boss bought it because he wanted proper coffee, but then nobody looked after it and it stopped working. So he gave it away to the boyfriend of one of the staff, who spent a couple of hours cleaning the limescale out of it and now has a free Gaggia. We now have a clever double-skinned stainless steel cafetiere that keeps the coffee hot very well..
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    rjsterry wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

No, no, no, no, no! You want one of the proper hexagonal aluminium Bialetti ones - aluminium conducts heat far better than stainless steel.

We did have a Gaggia at work: the boss bought it because he wanted proper coffee, but then nobody looked after it and it stopped working. So he gave it away to the boyfriend of one of the staff, who spent a couple of hours cleaning the limescale out of it and now has a free Gaggia. We now have a clever double-skinned stainless steel cafetiere that keeps the coffee hot very well..

Its a Bialetti. But after the cleaner put my old aluminium Bialetti (god rest its poor soul) in the dishwasher, I thought it best to replace it with a stainless steel one. Not noticed an effective difference between steel and aluminium, though in this case the steel brewed coffee tastes alot less "Aluminium Oxide-y" :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    notsoblue wrote:
    Its a Bialetti. But after the cleaner put my old aluminium Bialetti (god rest its poor soul) in the dishwasher, I thought it best to replace it with a stainless steel one. Not noticed an effective difference between steel and aluminium, though in this case the steel brewed coffee tastes alot less "Aluminium Oxide-y" :)

Aaaaaargh! :shock: Mind you, you could always load your own dishwasher :P My mother-in-law is a bit gung-ho with the dishwasher, so I know how this happens. (BTW, this is why washing soda is supposed to be good for seized seatposts) Conductivity probably isn't an issue on a hob, but if you are heating it up on a little camping stove, then every little helps.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition