Run or ride?

2»

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Lancslad wrote:
    You shouldnt increase your milage more than 10% a week. When I first started I only ran every other day for about three months. Cant stress how important proper running shoe advice is.

I fell afoul of this last week as the previous sunday I went out and ran 9.7 miles (which was about 2.5 miles further than I'd ever ran before in a single session). I felt fine in and of myself and could have gone on running as I wasn't out of energy but my knee started to feel a bit dodgy so I was sensible and stopped there and went home.

but the rest of the week my knee didn't feel right. not injured but I could tell I shouldn't push it. so i skipped my training on tuesday and only did a 4.5mile run on thursday to see how my knee was and was able to run the 10k route of my race this saturday at a relaxed pace. but from now on I'll probably stick to adding a mile a week to my runs at the most and not try to overdo it.

Would like to do the brighton half marathon in feb so am looking to get to the point where I'm running 15 mi by then so I'm comfortable during the race.
    Hat + Beard
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    hatbeard wrote:
    Would like to do the brighton half marathon in feb so am looking to get to the point where I'm running 15 mi by then so I'm comfortable during the race.

Brighton half is a great event, but close your eyes when you get to the last 5 miles; you have to run back past the finish line (so close that you could reach out and touch it. Also the hill near the end came as a complete surprise to me....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hatbeard
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Brighton half is a great event, but close your eyes when you get to the last 5 miles; you have to run back past the finish line (so close that you could reach out and touch it. Also the hill near the end came as a complete surprise to me....

my mum lives down past hove lawns and I've ran from hove to the marina and back before when I was down visiting so I know the route pretty well which is part of the reason I like the idea of that particular race.

it's weird though, until I ran my first 10k last month I had zero inclination to run a half at all. then I decided to do a long run and see how far I could go (see last sundays run) and realised it's not as far off as I thought it was.

as for a hill near the finish I maintain all race route planners are sadistic evil b****rds as there's always a dodgy bit at the end of every race to try and crush your spirit. the 10k this saturday finishes on a long uphill stretch in greenwich park that steepens as you get further up it. *grumble*
    Hat + Beard
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    by the end of Jan I want to be running at least a half marathon every weekend.

:shock: Feck me! Even when I was training for longer running distances, I wasn't runing that far that often.

<And the penny finally drops as to why I wasn't very good...>

Well, I must admit that I've neglected my running a lot this year, but I went out to do a 10km a few weeks ago having not run during the previous 6 weeks and I ended up doing 15km instead. I've not run since then. :(

I want to get up to 21km (because it's a nice route from Hampton Court to Weybridge and back along the river). When I was running half marathons I used to do 18km on a Sunday, but (thanks to cycling) I'm fitter and lighter now than I was then, which is also good for the knees.

My knees can't handle longer stuff any more. One lap of Richmond Park is about as long as any run is ever going to get now. And then I have to battle the desire to go out and do three laps on the CX instead...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    hatbeard wrote:
    it's weird though, until I ran my first 10k last month I had zero inclination to run a half at all. then I decided to do a long run and see how far I could go (see last sundays run) and realised it's not as far off as I thought it was.

You think that's weird; I've run half marathins before, but I have no intention, wish or desire to run a marathon. An Ironman Triathlon on the other hand looks very appealing at the moment..... (given 18 months training or so)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hatbeard
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

You think that's weird; I've run half marathins before, but I have no intention, wish or desire to run a marathon. An Ironman Triathlon on the other hand looks very appealing at the moment..... (given 18 months training or so)

I have little to no inclination to run a marathon but like you I plan on going into triathlons (i'm starting with a sprint though as I can't swim/cycle for toffee :lol: )
    Hat + Beard
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Never again. The training was, at best, half-arsed and even that was too much. My knees fell apart on the run and it was agony.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Never again. The training was, at best, half-arsed and even that was too much. My knees fell apart on the run and it was agony.

I'll probably find the same, but I'll never know until I try.

Two sprints and an Oly booked for next year and I'm looking at a half iron distance for the end of next year. Looking at Challenge Barcelona in 2012 as an option for the full distance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hatbeard
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Two sprints and an Oly booked for next year and I'm looking at a half iron distance for the end of next year. Looking at Challenge Barcelona in 2012 as an option for the full distance.

why not just MTFU and do it in less than a year like this guy... http://mikedoeslife.tumblr.com/ :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Indeed.

The Vitruvian?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Indeed.

The Vitruvian?

Looks a likely candidate and all reports on TriTalk are good, but there is also the New Forest Tri at the end of Sept, which has the added advantage of being near the in-laws for accommodation and being in the ammusingly monkiered Sandy Balls.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    hatbeard wrote:
    as for a hill near the finish I maintain all race route planners are sadistic evil b****rds as there's always a dodgy bit at the end of every race to try and crush your spirit

+1
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've come to the conclusion that running is just not for me. Every time I try to take it up I develop some problem with my knees, ankles, the last time I took it up was just before I tore my achilles, and I have no idea if the two are related or not but you never know.

I did try a run the other day, with some insoles that have been specially made for me to correct the fact that my right leg has a 'skeletal twist' of about 5 degrees, and my whole right-hand lower body was in serious pain for a few days. Apparently that's to be expected.

Oh joy.

I think I may give up on running.

Cycling, on the other hand..... :D

I think it really comes down to the individual and I know a few runners, some very good and into the endurance stuff such as 50 milers etc, but personally I hate it..always have. whenever i've tried it it always feels like a chore and nowhee near as much fun as riding.

Also, a close friend of mine who rides and runs has injuries after only a couple of years of running. Sod that for a laugh..;-)
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Km are better; they are shorter / quicker and you get more of a sense of acheivement because the number is higher. There are important things for running in December, January and February.

I also cycle in foreign, but that's because I use the same garmin for running and riding.

By that argument, km is not the best measure. Mind you, who am I to judge? I don't run much and, when I do, I only do about 27 furlongs.

_
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I did a 1040-chain run in September...

I now run ~7 miles twice a week, and try to get on the bike for a 10 miler and 20-30miler a week. As the year comes to an end I can't be dealing with long runs on a Sunday so cycling instead.
  • asprilla
    I would do it in leagues, but those pesky gps devices don't include it....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Running is bloody dangerous!

Ran last night, ankle went over and I went flying, slid about a foot along the wet ground and took a good few cm's of skin off my left leg. Ankle looked like an orange this morning so I went to A&E to get it checked out. Nothing broken, but I have a torn ligament. It's all strapped up now and I have been told not to run for 3 to 4 weeks. Not sure when I will be able to get back on the bike. Working from home for the rest of this week (wiv me leg up on the sofa), will just have to suck it and see.

What a bummer. :?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Cafewanda wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Wot Asprilla sed. Plus I can eat what I like. MKirby, please note 8)

Mind you, cross-country running ain't relaxing but it's fun even whilst covered in mud :)

but i want my knees to still work when im 50

:lol: Replacement knees :lol: I've had a chat with my GP about them and hips too :wink:

Seriously; have a chat with your GP first then find a good running shop (NOT a sports shop) and ask them to help you find a suitable pair of running shoes. Runners World do programmes for all types.

Theres a proper running shop on the way into work, got a running lane and all that. I have never run in my life, not something i really want to do.

Having just said that, and cntradicting myself, i do want to give CX a go next season and from my cusory googling 5km runs should be fitted into a training schedule.

If i can find someone to train with i might think about it.
  • cjcp
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Wot Asprilla sed. Plus I can eat what I like. MKirby, please note 8)

Mind you, cross-country running ain't relaxing but it's fun even whilst covered in mud :)

but i want my knees to still work when im 50

:lol: Replacement knees :lol: I've had a chat with my GP about them and hips too :wink:

Seriously; have a chat with your GP first then find a good running shop (NOT a sports shop) and ask them to help you find a suitable pair of running shoes. Runners World do programmes for all types.

Theres a proper running shop on the way into work, got a running lane and all that. I have never run in my life, not something i really want to do.

Having just said that, and cntradicting myself, i do want to give CX a go next season and from my cusory googling 5km runs should be fitted into a training schedule.

If i can find someone to train with i might think about it.

Don't worry about training with anyone. Just do your own thing.

CX is much more fun than running. But that's just me. But, for some reason, I love running when it's snowing, but not when there's snow on the ground; it's better to CX then. Must be the silence.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."