Run or ride?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I know that there are a few cycling runners and runners who cycle so it's probably a good place to ask this question -

Why run? What are the benefits that you get that you can't get on a bike 'cos I'm mystified.

Seems to me that it's essentially the same muscle groups just with added impact? And slower, and without the ability to carry stuff.

Do enlighten me please folks.

(Then again I don't get lane swimming either)
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Running burns more calories and I find it more relaxing because I don't have to concentrate as much.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wot Asprilla sed. Plus I can eat what I like. MKirby, please note 8)

Mind you, cross-country running ain't relaxing but it's fun even whilst covered in mud :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Loving the new sig Asprilla (Wahahahahaaaaaaa)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    SimonAH wrote:
    I know that there are a few cycling runners and runners who cycle so it's probably a good place to ask this question -

Why run? What are the benefits that you get that you can't get on a bike 'cos I'm mystified.

Seems to me that it's essentially the same muscle groups just with added impact? And slower, and without the ability to carry stuff.

+2 for wot Asprilla said.

I've read somewhere that cyclists should do a bit of runnin precisely because of the impact because it strengthens your bones or something.

Some stuff here:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/01/ ... -training/

http://bicycling.about.com/od/traininga ... strain.htm
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Certainly for ladies a bit of running significantly reduced the impact of osteoporosis in later life.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I've just started running as I madly entered the London triathalon next year olympic distance completely randomly. Running gives you a really good CV work out and utilises your leg muscles in a different way to cycling. Im a 25 year old female and iv already been told my bones are looking abit on the thin side (x-ray in march after being hit by a car) so the running should help with strengthening my bones (along with a much bigger intake of dietry calcium and some weight training). Its easier to get a decent run in than a decent ride if you are time strapped.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Depends on your aim. Running is great for general functional fitness: it has a much higher bang for buck in terms of training time. However, the muscle contractions aren't exactly compatible with cycling efficiency. If you want to be the very best you can be at cycling then do more cycling instead of the runs.

In terms of bone density make sure you get out into the sun: vitamin d is very important for bone growth
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • How else do you enjoy off-road trails? A what? A mountain bike? No ta... Running's awesome.

As above, I find it more relaxing at times than cycling. It's (sorry that I'm about to say this) 'purer' that cycling.
  • I do both and enjoy both. I can achieve a much better workout when running if I have limited time, an 8 mile run in a hour feels like a 40 mile bike ride to me.

It's simplistic too, when I used to travel a lot on business I could pack shorts and trainers and still train while away from home, that wouldn't be as easy with cycling...although I did take my bike to Spain with me when I was working there for 3 weeks!

I thought kayaking would be the opposite, need hours and hours to achieve, well not a lot. I've just come back from 3 hours on the river...and I'm absolutely knackered...I ache everywhere from the waist up! Doing a 9 mile 'London parks' run tomorrow and then back on the bike Monday, God I get a kick out of my pastimes!
  • I've come to the conclusion that running is just not for me. Every time I try to take it up I develop some problem with my knees, ankles, the last time I took it up was just before I tore my achilles, and I have no idea if the two are related or not but you never know.

I did try a run the other day, with some insoles that have been specially made for me to correct the fact that my right leg has a 'skeletal twist' of about 5 degrees, and my whole right-hand lower body was in serious pain for a few days. Apparently that's to be expected.

Oh joy.

I think I may give up on running.

Cycling, on the other hand..... :D
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Running is what people used to do before they had bicycles.

It's an inefficient waste of energy.
    Asprilla wrote:
    Certainly for ladies a bit of running significantly reduced the impact of osteoporosis in later life.

I thought about this whilst pounding the streets this morning. Mind you, that came secondary to the realisation I need to reduce my intake of chocolate mini-rolls pdq as my fat level has risen a tad since I stopped the high mileage I needed to do for my marathon almost a month ago :(
  • Well, I've only recently got my bike (c2w) but I'm in the London Marathon in April (second time!) and the 'proper' training starts in December so the cycling will deffo play second fiddle to my running.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • It's great for cv fitness as there's a different muscle bias hence, as a cyclist, you're going to be rather inefficient at it! In theory it should be great for injury prevention however as some of you have mentioned/experienced it can have the opposite effect!

Personally I don't run because i'm really really really bad at it, but I know that this is what caused my big knee unjury a while back (too much training lead to muscle imbalance and knee injury) hence I make my athletes run fairly regularly.
  • Cafewanda
    How about 10 mins 2/3 per week ?

So you're making your athletes suffer instead? :twisted:
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Runing because is fun.
    Cycling because is fun.
    Plus, I've been addictied to both for decades.

Forget calories and miles.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I've come to the conclusion that running is just not for me. Every time I try to take it up I develop some problem with my knees, ankles, the last time I took it up was just before I tore my achilles, and I have no idea if the two are related or not but you never know.

I did try a run the other day, with some insoles that have been specially made for me to correct the fact that my right leg has a 'skeletal twist' of about 5 degrees, and my whole right-hand lower body was in serious pain for a few days. Apparently that's to be expected.

Oh joy.

Maybe you are doing to much to soon?
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Lancslad wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that running is just not for me. Every time I try to take it up I develop some problem with my knees, ankles, the last time I took it up was just before I tore my achilles, and I have no idea if the two are related or not but you never know.

Oh joy.

Maybe you are doing to much to soon?

It's possible - I have no idea what I'm doing.

What are you meant to do?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Cafewanda wrote:

Mind you, cross-country running ain't relaxing but it's fun even whilst covered in mud :)

but i want my knees to still work when im 50
  • asprilla
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Yeah because you never see runners over the age of 50 and the events I run in don't have a veterans group.

You'll have bad knees it you have bad form and don't buy the correct kit, just like cycling.

I'm currently building up my running again, by the end of Jan I want to be running at least a half marathon every weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

why bother? it's a scientific fact that nothing of any interest to the over 50's is kept above ground floor level. stairs are for young people and communists.
    Hat + Beard
  • Cafewanda
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

:lol: Replacement knees :lol: I've had a chat with my GP about them and hips too :wink:

Seriously; have a chat with your GP first then find a good running shop (NOT a sports shop) and ask them to help you find a suitable pair of running shoes. Runners World do programmes for all types.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Cafewanda wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

:lol: Replacement knees :lol: I've had a chat with my GP about them and hips too :wink:

I bet you already have some in storage in that spare bedroom of yours. i'm picturing it to be some macabre jumble of unridden bikes and body parts in jars. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    by the end of Jan I want to be running at least a half marathon every weekend.

:shock: Feck me! Even when I was training for longer running distances, I wasn't runing that far that often.

<And the penny finally drops as to why I wasn't very good...>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

:shock: Feck me! Even when I was training for longer running distances, I wasn't runing that far that often.

Well, I must admit that I've neglected my running a lot this year, but I went out to do a 10km a few weeks ago having not run during the previous 6 weeks and I ended up doing 15km instead. I've not run since then. :(

I want to get up to 21km (because it's a nice route from Hampton Court to Weybridge and back along the river). When I was running half marathons I used to do 18km on a Sunday, but (thanks to cycling) I'm fitter and lighter now than I was then, which is also good for the knees.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    You shouldnt increase your milage more than 10% a week. When I first started I only ran every other day for about three months. Cant stress how important proper running shoe advice is.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Well, I must admit that I've neglected my running a lot this year, but I went out to do a 10km a few weeks ago having not run during the previous 6 weeks and I ended up doing 15km instead. I've not run since then. :(

I want to get up to 21km (because it's a nice route from Hampton Court to Weybridge and back along the river). When I was running half marathons I used to do 18km on a Sunday, but (thanks to cycling) I'm fitter and lighter now than I was then, which is also good for the knees.

Please can you write in English. No foreign words. I don't remember the UK converting to kilometers. In the meantime it is MILES.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    dilemna wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Please can you write in English. No foreign words. I don't remember the UK converting to kilometers. In the meantime it is MILES.
    Sounds like someone's still bitter after having to endure decimalisation.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    _Brun_ wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Err ............ decimalisation was a completely different issue ............. :roll:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • asprilla
    _Brun_ wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Km are better; they are shorter / quicker and you get more of a sense of acheivement because the number is higher. There are important things for running in December, January and February.

I also cycle in foreign, but that's because I use the same garmin for running and riding.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3