Cwm Carn

phildavis
phildavis Posts: 164
edited November 2010 in Routes
Heading down to Cwm Carn & Afan next weekend! Never been to Cwm before so werewondering what the general opinion as to the best trail to hit, then Afan on Sunday..

Comments

• wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    There's a downhill trail and a XC trail.
  • Yeah i know, will be doing XC.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I would do Whites Level on the Sunday - the only basis for that is because it's my favourite!

Also, if you can tackle the Cwmcarn climb then Whites will seem pleasant by contrast :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I'll be at cwmcarn tomorrow :)
  • Whats best at Cwm then!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    if it's xc you're doing there's only 1 marked trail - the twrch - so it'll be that one :lol:
  • What he said ^ lol.

Session the freeride/red circuit at the top for a bit, tis good fun!
  • I am back in love with Cwmcarn rode it yesterday with a mate of mine it was AWESOME. Went at a nice steady pace took nearly 2 hours but it was brill. :D:D:D

Northern Monkey

I think i saw you yesterday I started off about 10 o clock on a red lapierre with my mate, I rode the climb about the same time as you and thought i recognised the pics of your Commencal, however you're a big guy and didn't want to ask if you're the northern monkey :)
  • Cwm Carn - only one option.
    Afan - Whites level.

If you have time do the Skyline with the first short cut as a second option.

If you want some idea as to what to expect:
    http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/ride-report- ... july-2010/

http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/ride-report- ... -9th-2010/
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is the Twrch trail descent harder than anything on Whites Level?
    I really enjoyed Whites, even the climb was fun, no granny ring fire road sections like The Wall. Is the Cwmcarn cafe as bad as the one at Afan (Not the drop off, the other one)?
  • welshkev
    Is the Twrch trail descent harder than anything on Whites Level?
    I really enjoyed Whites, even the climb was fun, no granny ring fire road sections like The Wall. Is the Cwmcarn cafe as bad as the one at Afan (Not the drop off, the other one)?

no i wouldn't say it's harder at all. IMO it's more fun though :D
  • I am back in love with Cwmcarn rode it yesterday with a mate of mine it was AWESOME. Went at a nice steady pace took nearly 2 hours but it was brill. :D:D:D

Northern Monkey

I think i saw you yesterday I started off about 10 o clock on a red lapierre with my mate, I rode the climb about the same time as you and thought i recognised the pics of your Commencal, however you're a big guy and didn't want to ask if you're the northern monkey :)

Ahh I missed this... did i see you at the Gate?

Should have said hello, I'm not that scary am I?!
  • The Northern Monkey
    From the Toll gate up to the point where you cross back over the stream on the wooden bridge, I was waiting for my mate who had fallen off again :)
    I am going to be riding the Twrch hopefully this weekend with Welshkev if you fancy it, will be about 9:30 start probably Sunday will have to check with kev though.
  • Ahh yea I remember :)

Nice Lapierre! I hate the trail from the wooden bridge to the start of the fire road... well, i love to hate it lol. its tough but rewarding!

I might be out on saturday, not sure yet as i'm back in the Northwest till thursday then in bham all day thursday on business so I have a feeling that a lazy day will be in order!

Not sure though as I can't do without a riding filled saturday!
  • The Cwm Carn cafe is as bad as the one at Afan (not the Drop Off).
    The Drop Off is the only decent one around.
  • it does cake and cuppa brew... what more do you want?!
  • What more do I want?
    Compare the Drop Off with those two and you'll appreciate the difference.
    Not stinking of cheap fat.
    Not closing as early as possible.
    Not having 50 signs telling you not to do things.
    The Cwm Carn trail centre was a wasted opportunity.
  • welshkev
    What more do I want?
    Compare the Drop Off with those two and you'll appreciate the difference.
    Not stinking of cheap fat.
    Not closing as early as possible.
    Not having 50 signs telling you not to do things.
    The Cwm Carn trail centre was a wasted opportunity.

Thhats because it's council run rather than privately run like the drop off. I agree it's a wasted opportunity
  • welshkev
    The Northern Monkey
    From the Toll gate up to the point where you cross back over the stream on the wooden bridge, I was waiting for my mate who had fallen off again :)
    I am going to be riding the Twrch hopefully this weekend with Welshkev if you fancy it, will be about 9:30 start probably Sunday will have to check with kev though.

Earlier the better for me Sladey boy so 9.30 is fine
  • Kev,

Any chance you can make it for 8:30 :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know it is early i need to be back in the bran for 11 o clock sorry to be a pain mate
  • welshkev
    Kev,

Any chance you can make it for 8:30 :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know it is early i need to be back in the bran for 11 o clock sorry to be a pain mate

no that's fine mate, the baby will have woken me up by then anyway :lol:
  • Must be mad I rode Twrch yesterday morning at about ten and there was still ice on the floor car was showing -1 but it was absolutely brilliant :):)
  • welshkev
    fook me!!! you didn't tell me it'll be cold. i'm not coming now :wink::lol:
  • Don't worry mate the climb will soon warm you up :lol:
  • welshkev
    damn climb...mumble, hate it, mumble............
  • Its lovely and warm when ya moving :P

BUt i have decided your both crazy 8.30 :0 i'm still stinking then lol.
  • Its lovely and warm when ya moving :P

Maybe next time mate, unfortunately the only time i could make it. Weekends are normally reserved for the family
  • welshkev
    Its lovely and warm when ya moving :P

you've got it all to come mate, when you've got kids like me and sladey your whole life changes :lol::lol:
  • lol 8:30?! norrachance :P

I thought was doing well getting up at 8:30 haha!

Might see you in the carpark just as you finish though!
  • LOL children though not happening.

No patience and have a generally child hating disposition, that at 30 is unlikely to change i'd imagine.

So i still say your crazy 8.30!! lol