2. Inbetweeners - surpirsed not more mentions, class
    3. Family guy
  • Ripping Yarns
    Father Ted
    Black Books
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Steptoe and Son - comedy or tragedy - discuss

(me browsing BR on Sat night - same question... :) )

Tragedy.
    Well, I never got the humour.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    andy83 wrote:
    No particular order

1. Game on - loved this when i was younger
    3. Family guy

Greatest comedies of all time ............ You are havin' a larf aren't you?

1 and 3 were/are crap especially number 3. Number 2, I have never heard of.

There seem to be a few posters who haven't really seen or watched many comedies to appreciate where their offerings fall in the grand gallery of comedy :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Blackadder
    Red Dwarf
    The Young Ones

Mainly because they're the ones I watch over and over again without getting bored.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Its easy for the more recent comedies to be higher up the list. Will The Inbetweeners, for example, stand the test of time? It is bloody funny though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • 1 Family Guy, I can watch it over and Over

2. Allo Allo, For all the Family, nolstalgie

3. the 2 Ronnies, The only oldie i still lol at.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Porridge
    Blackadder (except series 1)
    Red Dwarf (early ones)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    1 Family Guy, I can watch it over and Over

2. Allo Allo, For all the Family, nolstalgie

3. the 2 Ronnies, The only oldie i still lol at.

I was pissing by your door when I heard two shits....

A friend of mine spent much the 90s driving a Warrior Armoured Vehicle for the Army in Bosnia. IF you don't know, the Warrior is a little tank and my friend is now, and shall forever be know as Gruber.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    dilemna wrote:
    andy83 wrote:
    No particular order

1. Game on - loved this when i was younger
    3. Family guy

Greatest comedies of all time ............ You are havin' a larf aren't you?

1 and 3 were/are crap especially number 3. Number 2, I have never heard of.

There seem to be a few posters who haven't really seen or watched many comedies to appreciate where their offerings fall in the grand gallery of comedy :roll: .

To be fair its all opinion

I didnt watch only fools, too young for fawlty towers etc so why should I be having a larf as you put it.

Looking through the thread all you have commented on is laurel and Hardy, I have never seen these but I dont go saying they are crap.

I dont watch much TV so excuse me if I havent watched what im supposed to have. You may aswell go through and slate everyone else choices as they obviously arent funny to you :)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    andy83 wrote:
    I didnt watch only fools, too young for fawlty towers etc so why should I be having a larf as you put it.

You may be too young for Fawlty Towers but if you have time you do want to spend in front of the goggle box track down an episode at least. Should be available from all kinds of sources. It only lasted 12 1/2 hour episodes (out of choice) so buying the whole lot wouldn't be a huge punt either.

Edit:- Episodes are available on youtube and the DVD box set comes in at approx £12 -£15. Have a laugh now.... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • downwardslide
    downwardslide Posts: 73
    edited November 2010
    Asprilla wrote:

A friend of mine spent much the 90s driving a Warrior Armoured Vehicle for the Army in Bosnia. IF you don't know, the Warrior is a little tank and my friend is now, and shall forever be know as Gruber.

This has really brought a smile to my face, used to love watching this as a kid. Can't believe we get endless repeats of Dads Army and The Good Life (good as they are) but this hasn't been shown for years. Apparently it was also very popular in germany and france, which given that so much of the comedy was based on the stereotypical accents of the characters I find amazing.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    edited November 2010
    Some real "stormers" in there - and no doubt so many that we've missed.

How can we have got so far without someone mentioning:

Open All Hours
    Yes Minister/Prime minister
    One foot in the grave
    The Royal Family
    Boys from the black stuff
    Morcambe and Wise (particularly the BBC years)
    Ab Fab
    Wallace and Grommit - The wrong trousers (I laughed so much I made myself sick!)
    (Whatever happened to) The Likely Lads
    Drop the dead donkey.

See also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27 ... om#Top_100
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'll go with:

Alan Partridge (either KMKYWAP or "I'm...")
    Phoenix Nights
    Peep Show

Seeing as they are the only ones I have bothered to get on DVD.

Honorable mentions for:

Fawlty Towers
    Blackadder
    Father Ted
    The Inbetweeners
    Family Guy
    The Day Today
    The Mary Whitehouse Experience (at the time, when it started, it was the funniest thing ever!)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Haven't seen The Goodies mentioned. There was a semi-tribute to them on R4 the other day, Ross Noble talking to all three of them + various others; catch it on the iMissedThatPlayer.

Have to say that the two things that get my kids helpless with laughter - proper laughing not just a bit of a smile - is The Holy Grail film, and The Goodies DVDs that they watch in the car on long trips. And I loved The Goodies too when arr wurr a lad.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Asprilla wrote:

This has really brought a smile to my face, used to love watching this as a kid. Can't believe we get endless repeats of Dads Army and The Good Life (good as they are) but this hasn't been shown for years. Apparently it was also very popular in germany and france, which given that so much of the comedy was based on the stereotypical accents of the characters I find amazing.

It's been repeated quite recently around Sunday lunchtimes, after The Politics Show, I think. They also repeated Keeping Up Appearances.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ah, must have missed that.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned, which as a parent of young children I find hilarious is Outnumbered.