Team Sky the right team for Cav?

littleking02
littleking02 Posts: 132
edited November 2010 in Pro race
His comments during the Commonwealth Games, about how he feel 'abused' by the team. And as he only have one year left in his contract, (if he ever leaves HTC) do you think team Sky is the right choice for him? I mean, in my opinion they don't have enough quality lead out men who can help Cav rich his main target, which is probably TDF green jersey.

Is the grass greener some where else for Cav?
ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No. He should stick to HTC.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    NapoleonD wrote:
    No. He should stick to HTC.

+1

HTC give him more support than he would get at any other team, particularly any team with serious GC ambitions. Judging by the jokes made at the Chasing Legends Q&A I'd be 99% sure that his recent comments are simply part of the usual contractual wranglings.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I think it depends on if he is allowed to take anyone with him. He has a close working relationship with Renshaw and I'm sure he would want to know he has a trusted lead out man with him.

However, the real sticking point is Sky's commitment to securing the GC. I don't see how they could reconcile that with having Cav on board who would insist upon a green jersey focus.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • His comments during the Commonwealth Games, about how he feel 'abused' by the team. And as he only have one year left in his contract, (if he ever leaves HTC) do you think team Sky is the right choice for him? I mean, in my opinion they don't have enough quality lead out men who can help Cav rich his main target, which is probably TDF green jersey.

Is the grass greener some where else for Cav?

Cav still has Renshaw (2011 and 2012) and Goss (i think). Alex Rasmussen will be there next year and he may well be pressed into the lead-out train. They still have the guys to do the hard work on the flat stages. I assume he still has Zabel to give him tips on the finish on the day - sounds easy but Zabel probably knows exactly what Cav should do better than someone else. If it aint broke, why fix it? Team Sky do have some good guys towards the end and it will be interesting to see how they do next year but at the moment, resultswise, he's probably best off staying where he is at the moment IMO.
  • I think it depends on if he is allowed to take anyone with him. He has a close working relationship with Renshaw and I'm sure he would want to know he has a trusted lead out man with him.

However, the real sticking point is Sky's commitment to securing the GC. I don't see how they could reconcile that with having Cav on board who would insist upon a green jersey focus.

Only Sky will know the answer but if they dont think they can win the GC then maybe they wouldnt mind having a British rider win the green while someone else finishes high on GC.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    As Holm said, for all Cavendish's outbursts, he ain't going anywhere.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Cav has said he'll go to whichever team is best for him at the time. And right now, that team is HTC- the entire team is more or less built around him.
    His Commonwealth outburst was less outburst and more carefully crafted contractual posturing (and he is not as well paid as he could be at HTC).

What puzzles me is why Stapleton cannot find another sponsor.

That said, I suspect that a huge name (Google) will be announced on the eve of the TDU.
  • Tusher
    And Cuddly Bob has been wise enough to sign Renshaw for two years.

I don't think HTC will let him take Renshaw with him. But team Sky they have a great sprinter in Boasson Hagen who can do the job as well even better than Renshaw in my opinion.
  • iainf72
    I don't think HTC will let him take Renshaw with him. But team Sky they have a great sprinter in Boasson Hagen who can do the job as well even better than Renshaw in my opinion.

EBH wouldn't hang around to be a lead out man. Nor would a few of the other guys IMO.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think cav should stick to htc as well

sky trying to have superstar climbers, GT contenders, big name sprinter, TTers, classics riders and do everything at the same race reminds me of T-Mobile, they struggled to manage the variety of resources they had...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • edhornby wrote:

sky trying to have superstar climbers, GT contenders, big name sprinter, TTers, classics riders and do everything at the same race reminds me of T-Mobile, they struggled to manage the variety of resources they had...

They are the one with the big money (i think), but just getting riders from here and there isn't going to help them greatly. They are just Man city, in terms that they think they can win everything by just getting the best in the business.

No team will work for Cav (and Cav only), more than HTC.
  • edhornby wrote:

They are the one with the big money (i think), but just getting riders from here and there isn't going to help them greatly. They are just Man city, in terms that they think they can win everything by just getting the best in the business.

No team will work for Cav (and Cav only), more than HTC.
  • He's down to attend the Isle of Man Cycling Association dinner on Saturday night. There is usually a Q & A session along with the Islands other pros. Perhaps he'll divulge any digibox desires!
    @JaunePeril

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    iainf72 wrote:

EBH wouldn't hang around to be a lead out man. Nor would a few of the other guys IMO.

...spot on.
    The likes of Kirchen, Lovqvist, EBH have all left HTC in recent years to break free of the 'train' - Cav's success is built on having exclusive/loyal/unwavering support - would he get that at Sky, given the team dynamic/politics?

I don't think so - he's better of where he is.
  • Notwithstanding the fact that he more or less has a team built around him now can forumites foresee a time when he can do a schlecks or Armstrong and attract the sponsors himself to create the ultimate sprint jersey team?
    @JaunePeril

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    One reason for Wiggins to go to Garmin was that he needed to get away from Cav.

• I don't think HTC will let him take Renshaw with him. But team Sky they have a great sprinter in Boasson Hagen who can do the job as well even better than Renshaw in my opinion.

EBH doesn't have the tactical nouse, though he's probably faster than Renshaw
  • Tusher
    Yellow Peril- are you going to the dinner?
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    I felt that the Sky train looked pretty good in this year's TDF, it was just that in the last km they had nobody who could really compete for the line and so Garmin, HTC, Lampre took control. It would be great for Sky to have him as he brings wins and exposure which is just what they desire; Sky emblazoned over the world's media.

Also wouldn't they be able to use EBH to compete in the hills to take intermediate points away from the likes of Husvold.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The sky train is rubbish, since it never wins.

Any team can whack all its riders on the front with 3km to go after a pan flat day.

Very few can convert it to victory.
  • Tusher wrote:
    I certainly am Tusher.
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Any team can whack all its riders on the front with 3km to go after a pan flat day.

They won more races (12) from bunch sprints than any team bar HTC
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The sky train is rubbish, since it never wins.

surely the one who makes the win is the last rider not normally considered the train. But i can't see any other team working as well for him at htc, stick with them i say
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:

Sometimes it does pay to have a look at the team season long statistics before passing comment.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Tusher
    Tusher wrote:
    I certainly am Tusher.

Enjoy! And take a notebook so you can come back here and tell us all about it.
    If Jonny Bellis is there, please send him very best wishes.
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

Are you suggesting they have a good train though? It looked like it in the TdU but later in the season less so.

I will admit not not watching the chippers they got sprint wins in.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Paris-Nice is a chipper? :shock: :wink:
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    Paris-Nice is a chipper? :shock: :wink:

No train, was there?

Henderson was away in a small group and won from that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    As I recall it the field split from behind, not by anyone going off the front.