Hit the deck today

gaz545
gaz545 Posts: 493
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Down to a wet leaf on top of the wet drain cover.

oweeeeeeee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7YNNpvvYI

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Ouch, hope you don't feel too bruised in the morning.

Nicely put together video.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Ouch!

could it of been the guttering? looks like the road angles down to it?

I do find it odd that there is such a gulf of difference between the way bikes handle these things the big heavy hybrid is nonplussed about them in fact I hit some mid corner quite often yet the bike just moves at worse a tad off line, while the roadie you can feel hates even rolling slowly over it.

I don't think it's the tires as 38mm marathon pluses while they give a reasonable contact patch, the rubber is more for hard wearing than traction.

My hunch is it's weight balance. and geometry.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No 1 clip for SCv15?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • From the video it looks like you're on the way down just before you get to the drain cover - that one leaf on the white line did it.

You must have answered this loads of times before but - what camera are you using?
  • Can you give some more information on how you created the video, I very much like the merging of the GPS data with the video to create the "heads up" display effect.
    Thanks
    Nick
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    Yipes!

It's scary how such an innocent thing as a leaf can fell you. I came off this morning too (stupid clipless moment). The worst thing about it was the runner who sneered at me and just carried on without a word or a break in his step.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You've Been Framed...£250!

Hope you're ok.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    oof. at least it was bum first rather than face first. chin up. hope you're not too battered.
  • Oooof. It's the leaf thats whats done it guv'nor.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't think your wheel even went over the steel drain cover, you were going Doowwwnnnn before that....

Is the bright strip metal guttering? If so I think that was your cause.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    gaz545 wrote:
    Down to a wet leaf on top of the wet drain cover.

oweeeeeeee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7YNNpvvYI

Ouch! You weren't havin' dirty thoughts were you :wink: ?

Your bike has disc brakes ......... on a tourer :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Ooff!

Glad you're OK, Gaz.

You gotta watch out for the chutney ths time of year. Two years ago was when I broke my wrist cause of wet leaves.
    Riding on 531
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    redvee wrote:
    No 1 clip for SCv15?

exactly my thought

looks like Gaz was riding in the gutter.. ouch..live and learn
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gaz545
    This happened in Croydon high street. The whole thing is flat, so no gutters or curbs. the metal or white line that you can see which some people have mistaken as paint is actually a metal cover for a drain. The cover isn't that slippery when wet so going over it is perfectly fine, but add a wet leaf and that is what took me down.
  • attica
    Clever Pun wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    No 1 clip for SCv15?

exactly my thought

Glad you understood, personally I haven't a clue.

What does RV mean?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    Attica wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    No 1 clip for SCv15?

exactly my thought

Glad you understood, personally I haven't a clue.

What does RV mean?

Gaz does a youtube thing called silly cyclists where he highlights cyclists being numpties and comments on then.. episode 14 was 'released' the other I saw BJUK's link to it from fb.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Is that the pavement you are riding on?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Damn, wish I'd read the whole post first. I thought the topic was a command, just went out and crashed deliberately destroying my new bike. :D

Can't bring myself to watch the vid, not that I'm squeamish mind, I had the misfortune of living in Croydon for a few years...still trying to block it out! :(

You didn't get squished by a following HGV, that's the main thing!
    "Coming through..."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    ouch, that brings back less than happy memories. As well as a wet leaf (no metal but dodgy off camber and wet), I've done slippery grey clay (near Kings X CTRL construction site) and diesel/oil twice. First two were rear wheel (not too bad) but the latter two were front wheel and that just isnt any fun....
  • Clever Pun
    antfly wrote:

it's the pedestrianised shopping bit between west croydon and the high street proper

no idea if bikes are allowed on there but the italics would indicate otherwise
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • attica
    Clever Pun wrote:
    antfly wrote:

it's the pedestrianised shopping bit between west croydon and the high street proper

Hmmm
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Prob allowed access at certain times of the day. Note the vans are all parked up delivering etc.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • gaz545
    Attica wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Hmmm
    The first line under that says "except cyclists"
    I tried to get a picture tonight of that, but it didn't come out well. will do it tomorrow.
  • The first line under that says "except cyclists"
    I tried to get a picture tonight of that, but it didn't come out well. will do it tomorrow.

Accustomed as I've had to get used to looking at little blurry things, I'm going for ''Except cycles.'' Mind you, if they will make roads look like pavements and then put trams on them, it's not surprising that nobody knows what's going on.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    That's scary, not doing anything silly and still came off. As above, good job there wasn't a car passing close by at the time.

Looks like your feet came out of the pedals OK - which ones are you using?
  • gaz545
    Canny Jock wrote:
    That's scary, not doing anything silly and still came off. As above, good job there wasn't a car passing close by at the time.

Looks like your feet came out of the pedals OK - which ones are you using?

SPD-SL's
    Some people say they are hard to get out off. But in reality it's just technique, and when your thrown from the bike they come off straight away.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    NICE BIKE!!!!!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    gaz545 wrote:
    This happened in Croydon high street. The whole thing is flat, so no gutters or curbs. the metal or white line that you can see which some people have mistaken as paint is actually a metal cover for a drain. The cover isn't that slippery when wet so going over it is perfectly fine, but add a wet leaf and that is what took me down.

As I say you must have been thinking impure thoughts ........... :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.