How many Cantabrigans here?

andyb78
andyb78 Posts: 156
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Been seeing Cambridge coming up in quite a few posts recently. A call to see how many of us are on here and SCR'ing! I'm Histon to Cambridge, normally on a ratty Massif in the winter but the clear weather has seen the Bowery '72 out for a few days...
Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)

Comments

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Kings Hedges to Bottisham me.... route varies. On a polished langster with a big carradice saddlebag almost every day, and on a ratty old mtb in the snow
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Err, grew up in Girton...

The town-side.

(as such, I have a real, deep, dislike for Histon... My friends seem to fall on the right side of the Impington/Histon divide :wink: )
  • Bourn to Science Park, about 25 miles round trip daily.

Somehow that has added up to nearly 3000 miles since I started in May. Who'd have thought it.

So far so good but getting nervous about upcoming winter and ice. If I stop riding for winter can I still call myself a "cycling commuter"?

Trek 1.5 Triple that I like a lot.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hello :D
    Commute from deepest Suffolk to Newmarket roadish.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Craggers wrote:
    Kings Hedges to Bottisham me.... route varies. On a polished langster with a big carradice saddlebag almost every day, and on a ratty old mtb in the snow

Which way do you go into Bottisham?
  • andyb78

The town-side.

(as such, I have a real, deep, dislike for Histon... My friends seem to fall on the right side of the Impington/Histon divide :wink: )

Oooo... Cambridgeshire village tribal war :lol: I like Girton, but prefer Histon as it has the famous Red Lion... Always add a loop round Girton when I'm cycling in in the summer, or sometimes add Willingham in for good measure..
    Road bike FCN 6

• rick_chasey
    edited November 2010
    andyb78 wrote:

The town-side.

Oooo... Cambridgeshire village tribal war :lol: I like Girton, but prefer Histon as it has the famous Red Lion... Always add a loop round Girton when I'm cycling in in the summer, or sometimes add Willingham in for good measure..

Back when I was unemployed or back home in the summer as a student I used to do a couple laps from Girton, to Histon via Huntingdon Road & Hison road, down to Cottenham, through Rampton and Willingham, then back through Longstanton and Oakington, or out to Ely and back, Parallel to the A10. Sometime's i'd do the Willingham route but then carry on to Swavesey to add a few more KM.

I went into Cambridge if I wanted to go out for a drink.

Can't say I'm keen on the Histon locals....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    andyb78 wrote:

The town-side.

many years ago used to commute kings hedges to longstanton via oakington.

now i live in sheffield, really highlights how flat the fens are.......have a vague memory that it's a gentle slope up to girton, but i really thought it was a "hill"!! :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    PBo wrote:
    andyb78 wrote:

The town-side.

now i live in sheffield, really highlights how flat the fens are.......have a vague memory that it's a gentle slope up to girton, but i really thought it was a "hill"!! :lol:
    Hah - I studied in Sheffield so...yeah..
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Ahem, it's Cantabrigian ;)

I used to live there, and appropriately enough rowed for Cantabrigian Rowing Club.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • rick_chasey
    AidanR wrote:
    Ahem, it's Cantabrigian ;)

I used to live there, and appropriately enough rowed for Cantabrigian Rowing Club.

Oh dear this is getting very strange indeed.

I coxed for Cantabs for about 4-5 years.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

climber's build eh? wasted on the bike....
  • rick_chasey
    PBo wrote:

I had to be given ballast for all the races we did outside of Cambridge. CRA never seemed to bothered.

Edit: Me back in '05

I'm the bloke with the 28 on his back for those who don't know rowing :P

05CB008-27.jpg
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I'm Cambridge too, but I work in London so drive in from near Haverhill then bike to station and KX to work.

See a commuter on the A1307 every day, I think from around Linton in to at least Addenbrooke's. Hardcore, out in all weathers, I usually see him about 7.15am
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    andyb78 wrote:
    Been seeing Cambridge coming up in quite a few posts recently. A call to see how many of us are on here and SCR'ing! I'm Histon to Cambridge, normally on a ratty Massif in the winter but the clear weather has seen the Bowery '72 out for a few days...

Cott'nam lad here on a Dawes Galaxy. There's two of us on those, and I am of course the younger faster one :-)

I do about three days a week on the Galaxy, usually taking a long route in, the longest and my fave being: 45km Cottenham, Wilburton, Upware, Lode, Cambridge.

I usually go direct on the way home. If there is any hint of a tailwind I will have a go at beating 20mins John Lewis to Cottenham Curry Palace.

Don't ya love it when young students try to beat you up Castle Hill. :-)

Phil.
  • andyb78
    PBo wrote:
    andyb78 wrote:

The town-side.

Hah - I studied in Sheffield so...yeah..

Interesting! I moved down here from Sheff (Walkley based) about 4 years ago and don't miss the hills! There is indeed a *slight* incline up into Girton, but nothing phases you when you've cycled up Blake Street :shock:

@RC - some of the locals in Histon can indeed be, ahem, how shall we say, idiosyncratic?
    Road bike FCN 6

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Cambridge Alumni - (thrown out....don't ask!).

I also worked and rowed there for about 5 years - my usual trip was Warkworth Street area to Science park....

And home via the Old Spring pub - which has now become a gastropub.....
  • rick_chasey
    andyb78 wrote:
    Interesting! I moved down here from Sheff (Walkley based) about 4 years ago and don't miss the hills! There is indeed a *slight* incline up into Girton, but nothing phases you when you've cycled up Blake Street :shock:

@RC - some of the locals in Histon can indeed be, ahem, how shall we say, idiosyncratic?

I presume you mean the incline that goes past the green king and post office at the back end of Girton?

Let's just say at school, the vast of the kids who were expelled or went to prison, (and there were a few), came from Histon, and the rapist who attacked 10yr old girls in the council estate surrounded woods was not met with as much surprised as you'd expect.

It's not for nothing it has its own police station!
  • andyb78
    andyb78 wrote:

I presume you mean the incline that goes past the green king and post office at the back end of Girton?

Let's just say at school, the vast of the kids who were expelled or went to prison, (and there were a few), came from Histon, and the rapist who attacked 10yr old girls in the council estate surrounded woods was not met with as much surprised as you'd expect.

It's not for nothing it has its own police station!

Yeah, that's the little incline...

Blimey... things have changed a bit then - I view Impington as a bit rough, and had Histon on roughly a par with Girton.. never seen any trouble here at all! Also given that the cheapest I've seen a 1 bed house here is £189K :shock:

I know Histon Police Station well....
    Road bike FCN 6

• rick_chasey
    andyb78 wrote:
    Yeah, that's the little incline...

Blimey... things have changed a bit then - I view Impington as a bit rough, and had Histon on roughly a par with Girton.. never seen any trouble here at all! Also given that the cheapest I've seen a 1 bed house here is £189K :shock:

I know Histon Police Station well....

I only left a year ago - as far as I'm concerned, and indeed, everyone I know around there, Impington is the better side of Histon!

Cambridge is phenomenally expensive for what it actually is.
  • AidanR
    PBo wrote:

I had to be given ballast for all the races we did outside of Cambridge. CRA never seemed to bothered.

Edit: Me back in '05

I'm the bloke with the 28 on his back for those who don't know rowing :P

05CB008-27.jpg

Ha! I was in the Bumps 2nd 8 in '06, having spent most of the year alternating between the 1st 8 and a lightweight 4+.

Good times.
  • Present ( although I actually live near Bedford now) but went to hills road, rowed for cantabs and 9s, still ride a lot round there- Cambs, Ely Newmarket
  • gtvlusso
    05CB008-27.jpg

bow stroke / 7 is a little deep
    5's arm is bent
    6 has moved his head
    3 is a bit early on the catch
    Bow has long hair.....
  • rick_chasey
    gtvlusso wrote:

bow stroke / 7 is a little deep
    5's arm is bent
    6 has moved his head
    3 is a bit early on the catch
    Bow has long hair.....

Crew has willow in hair :wink:
  • AidanR
    Given that they've bumped before Grassy corner, I think they can be forgiven! Plus they're probably the 4th VIII...

BTW, 6 has moved his head? Eh?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2010
    AidanR wrote:
    Given that they've bumped before Grassy corner, I think they can be forgiven! Plus they're probably the 4th VIII...

Pfft. Division two - almost got our blades (row-over on 3rd night - got 'em the next).

We were the best under 18 team on the river that year!

Went from 6th in division to to 3rd If I remember correctly.

Edit: Make that 8th to 5th.

Hence the 28...
  • gtvlusso
    AidanR wrote:

Should be looking directly at the back of 7s head.....and nowhere else.....my pet hate, used to make me an angry coach!
  • AidanR
    Bit harsh! It's not like he's looking around. I'm not sure I'd have like you as my coach ;)
  • AidanR
    AidanR wrote:

Pfft. Division two - almost got our blades (row-over on 3rd night - got 'em the next).

We were the best under 18 team on the river that year!

Went from 6th in division to to 3rd If I remember correctly.

Edit: Make that 8th to 5th.

Hence the 28...

I said 4th boat rather than 4th division. Does town bumps even have 4 divisions? They do look very good for a second division crew actually, though of course it's difficult to tell from one photo!
  • rick_chasey
    AidanR wrote:

I said 4th boat rather than 4th division. Does town bumps even have 4 divisions? They do look very good for a second division crew actually, though of course it's difficult to tell from one photo!

Town bumps is probably of a higher standard anyway ;)

And yes, it does have 4 divisions.