Liability when biking

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some fukker tries that with me, I'll give him a fricking reason to need a hospital.
  • This thread makes me sad - this libelous culture is to the detriment of our society.

In my opinion if you decide to ride trail centers - you should accept the risks involved - most of which can be avoided with a little common sense.

Surely a lot of these claims do not stand up in court anyway? It comes down to your word against theirs no?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Totally agree, but thats the culture we live in now, you need to cover your rear end. I blame the yanks.
  • Anonymous
    I think it's depressing that you can't have a good old fashioned streetfight any more, without someone trying to sue you.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    Cooldad, you missed a vital part of your copy and paste in regards to section 23.

What does section 23 come under?

Standard Contents Cover at your home
    what is covered

http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HIPolicy.pdf

The section regarding cover away from home only mentions your items, no other cover is provided.

You are wrong. Contents are restricted to your home, but there is no restriction on Liabilities, providing the action is brought under UK jurisdiction. The cover is actually worldwide under that wording. Only exclusions are certain types of dog, motor vehicles and employers liability, basically.
    But this is far too boring a topic to debate at length here.

Don't believe me, ask a lawyer - there is one on the roadie side somewhere.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I think it's depressing that you can't have a good old fashioned streetfight any more, without someone trying to sue you.

You don't have a good old fashioned streetfight in you anyway. But I'd do Sue.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    But that would mean having to do two unspeakable things

1) talk to a roadie
    2) talk to a lawyer

And besides, as a lawyer, isn't he going to charge you a thousand pounds per word for reading your question, and five hundred grand per character for his reply?
  • cooldad
    Briggo wrote:
    Why the hell do we need any liability on a fricking pushbike?
    You get hurt, boohoo, sucks to be you.
    You get hurt a bit more seriously, go to hospital. There's no charges, unlike the states.

Till John Doe wants to sue the carp out of you for breaking his big toe as you rode over his foot on a bridleway, then you'll be like, awww shizzle I wish I had that insurance cover now.

Just make sure you do a good job, leave him in a ditch with his head on backwards, and blame Yeehaa. Problem solved.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:

You don't have a good old fashioned streetfight in you anyway. But I'd do Sue.
    I've had more good old fashioned streetfights with Sue, than you've had hot dinners.
  • cooldad
    But that would mean having to do two unspeakable things

1) talk to a roadie
    2) talk to a lawyer

And besides, as a lawyer, isn't he going to charge you a thousand pounds per word for reading your question, and five hundred grand per character for his reply?

No he likes expounding his wisdom as much as you do.
    True on the roadie bit though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Oh god, the only person who agrees with me is a moron :lol:

Must be that rarefied northern air - no oxygen.
    Or the flat caps.
    Trollfail, and geographyfail, I'm afraid. Caaaaaadiff, is hardly north now is it?

I seem to remember he moved there recently from some unspeakable northern hellhole.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    And you. Don't even try to pretend you're that different.
  • cooldad
    I was right - Blackpool.
    I don't even think us leafy Surrey types are allowed there without bodyguards.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    And you. Don't even try to pretend you're that different.

Curses my cover is blown.

Difference is I'm always right.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    Cooldad, you missed a vital part of your copy and paste in regards to section 23.

What does section 23 come under?

Standard Contents Cover at your home
    what is covered

http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HIPolicy.pdf

The section regarding cover away from home only mentions your items, no other cover is provided.

You are wrong. Contents are restricted to your home, but there is no restriction on Liabilities, providing the action is brought under UK jurisdiction. The cover is actually worldwide under that wording. Only exclusions are certain types of dog, motor vehicles and employers liability, basically.
    But this is far too boring a topic to debate at length here.

Don't believe me, ask a lawyer - there is one on the roadie side somewhere.

So this lawyer can make up a whole new contract that contradicts the original contract, that they will now provide liability cover worldwide.

Doesnt surprise me to be honest, he is a lawyer after all, they do talk carp.

Oh and you are wrong. Just thought I'd get that in there as you like to say it a lot, even though I dont know if you are or arnt.
  • cooldad
    Briggo wrote:
    So this lawyer can make up a whole new contract that contradicts the original contract, that they will now provide liability cover worldwide.

Doesnt surprise me to be honest, he is a lawyer after all, they do talk carp.

Oh and you are wrong. Just thought I'd get that in there as you like to say it a lot, even though I dont know if you are or arnt.

Nope just interpret the wording correctly. Although it's a really basic wording, just needs reading properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Ok, now that I've found out no one really knows I'll go on living in blissful ignorance!!

I just seriously hope everyone using trail centres goes there thinking anything that happens is their own fault and deals with it themself. The problem I can see happening is someone's sweet innocent little darling getting dropped off at a trail centre to get rid of them for the day, getting hurt and the parents blaming other riders/the trail centre/the Forestry Commission which could seriously spoil things for all of us (who like trail centres).

Unfortunately I think the American sue first think about it later attitude will be here sooner rather than later.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike