Liability when biking

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I was just wondering just how liable we all are when biking?

If I crashed and someone came round the corner and hit me would I be liable for injuring them, them for injuring me, etc.

What is someone was walking up a designated mtb trail and a biker hit them, who takes the blame?

What about a beginner rider who had just pushed down a fast steep section and getting back on in the middle of the trail, who takes the blame if a fast rider commits to the section before seeing them and wipes them out at the bottom?

If we are all liable for a lot more than we think what should we be doing about it? Do some of the clubs/affiliations like British Cycling have cover when you join them?

To me it should all come down to common sense, if you're riding a trail and someone has stopped in it for any reason they are at fault (if someone has crashed and is visible ie not round a blind bend there should be no hitting them obviously!) but should we be riding trail centres able to emergency stop round every bend?

Not worried about the great outdoors as it's a bit clearer you have to expect walkers/horses/etc this is about trail centres.
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• the gang of us that ride, have all now just got ourselves Group Liability cover, think it costed us about £10 a person and well worth it imho
  • To me it should all come down to common sense.

I think this sums it up.
    Problem is not many people have it.
    I dont think people go out biking to hurt people on purpose.
    If I saw someone in trouble I would help and hope people would help if I was.
  • I do 90% of my riding in Swinley. My Permit covers me for Liability
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    That's interesting that certain centres have cover in place.

I'd certainly stop to help someone in trouble, question is what if I'm in someway responsible for that trouble.

What brought this question on was coming round a blind corner onto a drop/steep hill where a father was getting his son back on his bike in the middle of the trail (red route). I didn't stop before him but managed to get off the trail around him. This made me wonder just how much trouble I'd end up in if I'd committed to the drop before seeing him and basically landed on the young lads head. To me that's the fathers fault for bad trail awareness.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    LjStronge wrote:
    I do 90% of my riding in Swinley. My Permit covers me for Liability

same here

I was also looking at bike insurance and I think that might have included some liability in that as well
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • My bike insurance doesn'tcover me for liability unfortunately - I have it as part of my contents insurance.

Interesting to find out if bike insurance will cover you for liability too
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Never really thought about liablity off-road. A few years ago I skittled a group of school children out on a 'nature ramble' but there were no broken bones and after a few choice words with the teachers we went our separate ways.

Have also had a few collisions with dogs, again 50/50 situations never gave it a second thought :?

My short-tempered mate has had a few run-ins with families videoing their sprogs rolling down the Werewolf Drop though, I would've thought that was a stronger case for liability :wink:
  • t0pc4t
    LjStronge wrote:
    My bike insurance doesn'tcover me for liability unfortunately - I have it as part of my contents insurance.

I appear to have the only home insurance policy in Christendom where they will not cover my bikes as they are 'too expensive' apparently.

it's only an anthem x4 ffs, hardly a Jones
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    LjStronge wrote:
    My bike insurance doesn'tcover me for liability unfortunately - I have it as part of my contents insurance.

I appear to have the only home insurance policy in Christendom where they will not cover my bikes as they are 'too expensive' apparently.

it's only an anthem x4 ffs, hardly a Jones

Apparently M&S is the best place to get contents insurance which will include bikes, lots of people on here have theirs from there. Mine I just added as an extra Item up to £1000 - your bike is worth more than that so that wouldn't work.

Saying that they best increase it when I phone them up come to think of it won't be too long until my bike breaks that marker
  • t0pc4t
    that was their logic, they won't touch bikes over 1k

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Steve_F wrote:
    That's interesting that certain centres have cover in place.

I'd certainly stop to help someone in trouble, question is what if I'm in someway responsible for that trouble.

What brought this question on was coming round a blind corner onto a drop/steep hill where a father was getting his son back on his bike in the middle of the trail (red route). I didn't stop before him but managed to get off the trail around him. This made me wonder just how much trouble I'd end up in if I'd committed to the drop before seeing him and basically landed on the young lads head. To me that's the fathers fault for bad trail awareness.

I think you would be to blame in that scenario - its not wise to jump blind without checking your landing first.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wouldn't even worry your pretty little head about it.
    It's mountain biking, sh*t happens.
  • I joined the CTC (£35 a year) and as part of the membership you get Liability insurance (3rd party only)...worth it as there are some other benefits to being a member.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    BC membership gives 3rd party insurance. I've used it when I crashed into a car, the driver of which then tried to sue me, they were very good indeed. I'll probably stay a member the rest of my life!

Can vouch for M&S home insurance, all bikes covered up to £4000 each.
  • njee20 wrote:
    BC membership gives 3rd party insurance. I've used it when I crashed into a car, the driver of which then tried to sue me, they were very good indeed. I'll probably stay a member the rest of my life!

Can vouch for M&S home insurance, all bikes covered up to £4000 each.

I am with M&S home insurance and the policy covers all my bike up to a unlimited amount.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Standard house or contents cover includes Personal Liability cover, which would cover you if you caused injury or damage on a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I wouldn't even worry your pretty little head about it.
    Yay someone i can agree with lol.

The only reason you need the permit for swinley is because its in London.
    Anywhere else and no one would give a sh1t... Its just London is full of southerners that always have to blame someone other than themselves. (IMO).
  • cooldad

Anywhere else and no one would give a sh1t... Its just London is full of southerners that always have to blame someone other than themselves. (IMO).

Geography is obviously not your strong point, is it?

Anyway it's easy - we just blame northerners in cloth caps for everything. Lazy, scrounging bleeders.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

This
  • cooldad wrote:

Anyway it's easy - we just blame northerners in cloth caps for everything. Lazy, scrounging bleeders.
    ?
    When i unfortunately lived in London i rode at swinley. Therefore it is close enough to be classed as London. Wasnt worth the trip to swinley though tbh lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

?
    When i unfortunately lived in London i rode at swinley. Therefore it is close enough to be classed as London. Wasnt worth the trip to swinley though tbh lol.

So when I travel to ride in Wales, it's close enough to be classed as London?
    Good one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Standard house or contents cover includes Personal Liability cover, which would cover you if you caused injury or damage on a bike.

I questioned that with M&S and they certainly dont offer it.

Liability cover is only applicable within the grounds of your house, as confirmed by my insurer and I doubt any others would offer it.

You need third party liability insurance which is sometimes part of bike specific insurance or as mentioned part of CTC membership etc.
  • Anonymous
    Oh god, the only person who agrees with me is a moron :lol:
  • cooldad
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I questioned that with M&S and they certainly dont offer it.

Liability cover is only applicable within the grounds of your house, as confirmed by my insurer and I doubt any others would offer it.

You need third party liability insurance which is sometimes part of bike specific insurance or as mentioned part of CTC membership etc.

Wrong read your policy, it is clearly covered if you have contents insurance - see pt b. This is the M&S wording. Most, if not all policies give it automatically, just don't expect the dumbo on the phone to have actually read it.

23. Legal Liability Cover
    Personal liability
    We will pay up to £2,000,000
    (including costs and expenses
    agreed by us in writing) for any one
    claim or series of claims arising from
    any one event or one source or
    original cause that you or your
    family become legally liable to pay
    as compensation (including claimants
    costs and expenses) occurring
    during the period of insurance in
    respect of accidental:
    • death bodily injury or illness of
    any person
    • damage to material property not
    belonging to, or in the custody or
    control of you, your family or
    domestic staff
    arising from:
    a) the occupation of the home (but
    not its ownership)
    b) the private pursuits of you or
    your family
    c) the employment of you or your
    family or domestic staff
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad

Must be that rarefied northern air - no oxygen.
    Or the flat caps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Doesnt mention about cover away from the home although, part B suggests it would be but you can do private pursuits at home, like erm, swinger parties? The chap I spoke to was adamant that its only at the home after questioning it a couple of times.

Oh and it wasnt an offshore callcentre so initially I was inclined to believe ;)
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:

Must be that rarefied northern air - no oxygen.
    Or the flat caps.
    Trollfail, and geographyfail, I'm afraid. Caaaaaadiff, is hardly north now is it?
  • Briggo
    Cooldad, you missed a vital part of your copy and paste in regards to section 23.

What does section 23 come under?

Standard Contents Cover at your home
    what is covered

http://money.marksandspencer.com/pdf/HIPolicy.pdf

The section regarding cover away from home only mentions your items, no other cover is provided.
  • Anonymous
    Why the hell do we need any liability on a fricking pushbike?
    You get hurt, boohoo, sucks to be you.
    You get hurt a bit more seriously, go to hospital. There's no charges, unlike the states.
  • Briggo
    Why the hell do we need any liability on a fricking pushbike?
    You get hurt, boohoo, sucks to be you.
    You get hurt a bit more seriously, go to hospital. There's no charges, unlike the states.

Till John Doe wants to sue the carp out of you for breaking his big toe as you rode over his foot on a bridleway, then you'll be like, awww shizzle I wish I had that insurance cover now.