Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

So, my dad bought me a Cofidis cap...

neil_sheehan2000neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
...because I borrowed a cap of his recently when we went for a ride. My question is: not knowing anything at all about the team, would it be particularly bad form to wear it? I mean, I know that some people have strong views on team kit, yellow jerseys, etc, but would I be harshly judged for wearing a hat emblazoned with the colours of a not particularly good team? I mean, it's hardly the equivalent of pootling to the shops in a KoM jersey, is it?

(p.s. he nearly bought me an Euskatil Euskadee cap (apologies for spelling), so I suppose I had a lucky escape- especially in Glasgow...)

(p.p.s. please don't say "you shouldn't wear the cap, you should wear a helmet instead"...)
«1

Posts

  • ScrumpleScrumple Posts: 2,665
    Do you like it?

    yes = wear it

    No = don't

    Don't be a baby and ask permission.
  • Bob.FBob.F Posts: 1,261
    If it is ever sunny enough to warrant the use of a cap in the frozen wastelands of the far most flung regions.............
    "I like life, it gives me something to do". Ronnie Shakes
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited November 2010
    Always perfectly acceptable to wear Pro Team kit. That's why they sell it to the public! (And our great Mr. Wiggins used to ride for Cofidis!)


    (I never wear a helmet unless racing.)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Always perfect acceptable to wear Pro Team kit.

    Except a national or world championship jersey unless, of course, you had actually won the title. :wink:
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Always perfect acceptable to wear Pro Team kit.

    Except a national or world championship jersey unless, of course, you had actually won the title. :wink:


    I disagree - the teams sell it to the public because they A. want to make money and B. want them to wear it. Free advertising. If they didn't - they wouldn't sell it!

    This debate has been had many a time - and the only thing I personally disagree with is people wearing national team kit when they haven't 'earned' it. But I ride for a national team so maybe I'm a little more sensitive to the matter. :oops:
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can't wear a Cofidis cap!!

    They are an awful team, the way they treated Lance when he was ill. And one of them doped in the 07 tour and got the team thrown out.

    I wear my Discovery Channel cap with pride though.
  • Pokerface wrote:

    This debate has been had many a time - and the only thing I personally disagree with is people wearing national team kit when they haven't 'earned' it.

    That's the point I'm making. Unless you've earnt national selection, won the national or world championship then it's bad form in my book to wear these type of jersey.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I loved my world champ jersey when I was a schoolie.

    Wear what you want - don't seek approval from others.
  • edhornbyedhornby Posts: 1,780
    NapD - nice :-)

    I don't see an issue with team or sponsored kit, I'm thinking of building up a collection of jerseys from teams with the worst reputations for dopage

    however I think a yellow or polka or a world championship band jersey would be wrong because they are given to be worn by the person who won or is winning a specific race

    a bit like wearing a jersey of your favourite football team is ok, but you wouldn't wear a champions league winner replica medal would you
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Lillywhite wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Always perfect acceptable to wear Pro Team kit.

    Except a national or world championship jersey unless, of course, you had actually won the title. :wink:

    The tradition is you can't wear it unless you've earnt it or slept with it...
  • Mr DogMr Dog Posts: 643
    Wear it if you like it.. that goes national team jerseys too. Isn't it somewhat pompous to have to earn the right to wear a piece of sports kit. If you excel so, then it should be obvious to all that you are a real national squad member etc. :?
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For all those 'stick in the muds' I guess you go down the park on Saturday mornings and tell the kids having a kick-about that they can't wear their Man U or Chelsea kits, or the guys down the pub during the World Cup they have no right to wear their Ingerland shirts either :roll:

    They should also contact the bike companies to tell them to stop producing limited-edition team bikes in yellow, pink or WC stripes because Joe Public has no right to ride one too!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Can't see the distinction between allowing people to ride in a pro team jersey and not allowing them race leaders jerseys ?

    If you haven't led the tour - you also haven't ridden well enough to be signed for a pro tour team ?

    Its only a jersey at the end of the day. And chances are - you're a lot cleaner a rider than most winners of big tours ?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    On a serious note, wear what you freaking want!

    Except for this -

    http://www.musicbands.com/Tuxedo-Cyclin ... ce=froogle
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 61,001 Lives Here
    Monty Dog wrote:
    For all those 'stick in the muds' I guess you go down the park on Saturday mornings and tell the kids having a kick-about that they can't wear their Man U or Chelsea kits, or the guys down the pub during the World Cup they have no right to wear their Ingerland shirts either :roll:

    They should also contact the bike companies to tell them to stop producing limited-edition team bikes in yellow, pink or WC stripes because Joe Public has no right to ride one too!

    While this is all very true (and indeed, I LOVE my team kits and wear them a lot on the bike), the analogy is a little different because in cycling a jersey has genuine significance.

    When you win the champions league, or if you are leading the premiership - your team doesn't wear a different jersey.

    When a rider wins the worlds, s/he doesn't just become world champion - they wear the jersey!

    Because pros need to stand out in the peleton, it matters more.

    But go nuts.
  • Tom BBTom BB Posts: 1,001
    Wear what ya like is my feeling.......dont really see that it devalues the jerseys etc.....I saw a guy wearing a World Champs jersey watching one of the Tour Series races-I didn't think it was Cadel Evans though!

    Never wear one myself like, but dont see a problem with those who do.
  • greasedscotsmangreasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited November 2010
    So what about one of these?

    mavic-espoir-short-sleeve-jersey.jpg

    Looks a bit like the TdF Young Rider jersey, I ride a Spesh and have one of these jerseys, what if people think I'm (a fat) Andy Schleck!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    On a serious note, wear what you freaking want!

    Except for this -

    http://www.musicbands.com/Tuxedo-Cyclin ... ce=froogle

    Very true, you should save that one for the wedding day!
  • brettjmccbrettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    edhornby wrote:
    however I think a yellow or polka or a world championship band jersey would be wrong because they are given to be worn by the person who won or is winning a specific race

    a bit like wearing a jersey of your favourite football team is ok, but you wouldn't wear a champions league winner replica medal would you

    Many people do where the Champions league tops though... Here's another thought. Is it wrong to wear something like the Liquigas jersey in the Pink Giro colours, or the Red Vuelta? A bit like supporting your football team with a T-Shirt or replica top that says as much. The only difference I generally see is that at least we (cyclists, I mean) have the decency to generally only wear them whilst undertaking the sport; not on holiday, going down the pub, taking someone on a date etc etc.... Of course rugby tops is another disussion entirely 8)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 7,960
    They way I look at it is - if it's for sale publicly - then wear it. SOME national team kit is not for sale publicly and therefore they don't want you to wear it. But you can find pretty much everything on eBay these days.


    When I worked at British Cycling I couldn't get my hands on any GB kit through official channels but stuff would always pop up on eBay - riders selling off stuff they had been given. So I guess it just shows that even some of the riders don't care! But in general it wasn't available to the public.

    My National Team (Ireland) kit is hard to find - but you CAN buy it. But it's not sanctioned by the governing body for sale.
  • At Christmas, when your Nan buys/knits you a terrible jumper, out of respect for the gift, you give it enough "wear" time until an unfortunate red wine and sulphuric acid incident makes it unfit for public viewing!

    Do the same if you dont like the hat...

    If however its a case of "People might point and laugh because im wearing a team hat", then you are exactly like the MILLIONS of people that wear footie shirts every week, and get stick from supporters of the rival teams.
    exercise.png
  • hopper1hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    My personal take on this depends on the 'fit'!...
    Different hats either fit nicely, or look censored !
    If the hat fits, wear it. If not, go find one that does fit...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    You can't wear a Cofidis cap!!

    They are an awful team, the way they treated Lance when he was ill. And one of them doped in the 07 tour and got the team thrown out.

    I wear my Discovery Channel cap with pride though.

    Interesting, I saw a Cofidis top in a bike shop and thought to mayself, there's no way I would buy that considering the disgusting way they treated Lance Armstrong when he was under treatment for cancer. No morals at all, at least Oakley showed some support someone who was in need of it at the time.
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 5,060
    I wear a Tour series leaders jersey that I purchased at the Southport race. I don't think I am in any danger of being offered an elite riders contract anytime soon but who cares.
    My rationale for buying was simple. I needed a new jersey, I wanted something a little different that was a bright colour and I thought it was a good opportunity to support the race that was otherwise free to watch.
    I have attended about 6 pro races this year and apart from paying to park at the nat champs it hasn't cost me a penny beyond petrol money. I feel happy knowing that my purchase goes a tiny way towards making pro racing a viable concept.

    Just on the Cofidis LA angle. Do we have both sides of the story?
  • I have actually been thinking about buying a King of the mountain style jersey as an ironic twist on cycling Haute couture...

    im 16 stone and find myself struggling for breath on most hills =P

    Would be kinda funny to burn myself out overtaking someone on a hill, to then pass out 20 feet ahead wearing the polka dots of a champion!

    Really though, people need to chill out about cycling fashion and what other cyclists think..

    Look at our heroes... There is no athlete in this UNIVERSE that looks at Wiggins and thinks "Wow.. thats the physique I want!".. His fitness is another story, and thats what I love about cycling....

    Im overweight but working my way down, but im a lot fitter than some of my friends that are sports mental on things like football.. The difference being that a 35 stone Man Utd fan feels comfortable wearing the kit despite not having the lower body strength to stand up, let alone score goals for their club of choice, but a cycling enthusiast that rides and I'm sure mentally, emulates some of the greats is demonised for having the bare faced cheek of donning colours that pros wear..

    Get off your Penny Farthings ( our version of a high horse... see what I did thar? eh eh? yeah im funny =P ) and ride without prejudice!!
    exercise.png
  • I'd love one of these, but I don't ride a Bianchi, so I wouldn't wear it...

    small_1005_633829225703138750_Bianchi_Milano_polka_dots_jersey_fr.jpg

    I'm a censored climber too, but it would at least match my favourite socks :D
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • basically in all sports there are 2 types of people,
    those that get paid to do it and,
    those that pay to do it (me)!
    Where does a percentage of the money come from to pay for the pro's kit? whether you like it or not they have to sell X amount of replica kits to the public to pay for the investment!
    this is life, in motorbiking they sell replica leathers and helmets of the pros, obvious the football industry would collapse without the sales!
    If you are good enough to earn your kit then great, but if like the rest of us you have to pay for your kit then wear whatever you want!

    Bobby
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • VelonutterVelonutter Posts: 2,437 Lives Here
    I will quite happily buy team kit as I like some of the designs, but draw a line at World Champ of National tops, those to me can only be earned and you are devaluing the achievement of others by wearing it, you wouldn't wear a World Gold Medal out to the pub if you hadn't earned it?

    As for KOM or Leaders jerseys, just hope you are up to the challenge as every man and his dog will be challenging you over every rise or sign post :shock:

    Nah my point is if you haven't earned it then you can't wear it, but team kit is fine.
  • Will.CWill.C Posts: 245
    I can't believe this is even up for debate, I've never given it a second though buying team kit, or national champs kit for that matter, if it's for sale and I think it looks good, i'll buy it and wear it, and when I win the national jersey, for worlds or my country, I won't have a problem with anyone else wearing it who hasn't "earned" it. I really doubt Mr Hushovd is going to get the hump if he sees some randomer wearing a world champ jersey because he won it not them, it's a bit pathetic isn't it?

    Just my 2 cents
  • garrycgarryc Posts: 203
    Don't see the problem at all, I like the design of a lot of cycling jerseys so I'll wear those if I want, and they do tend to be very bright and eye catching which certainly helps regarding visibility.

    The only rule I have for myself is not to mix and match, so no Garmin shorts mixed with Cervelo tops etc.

    I don't think that when I'm puffing up a slight incline in Sussex at 10mph that I'm going to get confused with Thor Hushvod, even if I decide to wear a world champion jersey.
Sign In or Register to comment.