p4pb5814333.jpg
p4pb5814332.jpg

AlongHill?
p4pb5814342.jpg
p4pb5814336.jpg

Comments

• andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    You’ve done a lovely job there sir!! Looking fantastic but then the Edison is (IMO) one of the best platforms to build an all round MTB on. Enjoy it – you back mobile again yet then?

:D
  • Glad to see you have finally gotten her up and running. She's a gorgeus girl :)

How's it ride?
  • Nice.

What year is the frame?

Bouncy bouncy.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its an 09 i think.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    very,very nice that
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    very cool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the rear end is more extended in the "uphill" setting?
    Why would you need more travel for going up?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Looks really nice Sheeps, I imagine it rides rather nicely!!

Just out of interest, what kind of weight does that build come to?

Any other planned changes, or are you happy how it is now?
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    very cool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the rear end is more extended in the "uphill" setting?
    Why would you need more travel for going up?

I thought it was just so that you were sitting in a more upright position, above the pedals and got a steeper head angle. ?
  • Anonymous
    still, more travel at the rear for going up? odd.
  • Anonymous
    allow me to explain:

shock extended
    5126164125_ce12e955fe_b.jpg

shock retracted
    5126167357_586fd42469_b.jpg

the travel actually remains constant, the line you can see on the shock shaft isnt part of the available travel, it is purely for changing the frame geo.

so when climbing the rear stays at 140mm but the seat angle is steeper meaning you are closer to the verticle line running through the bb and it feels easier to cycle up hill

clever thing about the travel change is that although the front drops from 150 to 70mm, the bottom bracket doesnt get any lower, it moves backwards instead and remains at the same height meaning you can carry on pedalling normally.

it is dead easy to do and can be done on the fly, weight the front, press the button and the front drops, unweight the front and pres the button and the fork extends. the trvel adjust takes about a second from min to max and is infinitely adjustable, no steps and best of all, no stopping to do it.
  • Anonymous
    Stav83 wrote:
    Looks really nice Sheeps, I imagine it rides rather nicely!!

Just out of interest, what kind of weight does that build come to?

Any other planned changes, or are you happy how it is now?

weight is 30lbs which i am pretty happy with. im leaving it as is for now, no immediate plans to make any changes.
  • I really want one of those.

They are such a great design. It amazes me how they are so relatively unknown.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, that makes sense. cool.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    It's amazingly clever. I'd love to have a go on one to see what it's like.

Anyway, that looks properly sweet. Loving the subtle green bits.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Very nice, though is the rear suspension a single pivot design?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    Whytepeak wrote:

yup.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Whytepeak wrote:

yup.

Nice.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • ropey
    ropey Posts: 96
    sheepsteeth,whats it like for XC?
    I've been looking at single pivot rigs but really wouldn't want any more than 120mm up front for my regular trails,really like the idea of adjustable geometry 8)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    ropey wrote:
    sheepsteeth,whats it like for XC?
    I've been looking at single pivot rigs but really wouldn't want any more than 120mm up front for my regular trails,really like the idea of adjustable geometry 8)
    they do other frames.... including a 120mm one. Called the willow or something I think.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Very nice bike that, looks diferent but very nice. I bet it rides lovely. :D
  • Anonymous
    How's your arm anyway, can you ride again, yet?
  • Anonymous
    not yet really, ive got most of my movement back and can physically get on the bike and some weight on my arm but if i ride off road its too sore to take any impacts. im back n the gym this week to buid some strength back up so i should be out and about properly in a couple of weeks i reckon.

ive got a torch on order for a visit up north in a few weeks time if you are about.
  • Anonymous
    Definitely up for some winter riding, I reckon I NEED it!
    Don't expect much in the way of fitness though, I've been lagging a lot due to work.
  • Anonymous
    aah, well having seen me ride you know we might be in a simialr condition :lol:
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    So many cables! This bike needs internal cable routing.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    put my old gnarly saddle on the old girl so thought it would be a nice excuse to show a new picture.

fixed the GD too, no more wobbling or shaking and although the fitting of new shims was not a particularly scientific affair, it is done and successfully so.

p4pb6544405.jpg

i fancy somenew and green for it so might get a new clamp for the seat post but apart from that, im still very happy with it indeed, i cant believe these arent more popular!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    nice picture!

it's looking good. a green seatclamp and green top cap or spacers would look great
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Looks lovely. I'm massively jealous :evil:

Nearly in a financial position to buy a decent full suss, seriously considering one of these, or a Marin, or maybe even an Orange (only because I could make it look cosmetically identical to the hardtail though).

How massively would you recommend them? How does it compare to other bikes you've ridden?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    thanks Jay, it doesnt have spacers around the headset and i think the top cap is speciic to the way the fork preloads but i am pretty much decided on a superstar green clamp.

angry bird: i love this bike, it is as good as any i have ridden and i like it so much that i sold my stumpjumper and enduro as they were completely un necessary once i had decided to buy this.

i would recommend giving them a test to be honest as the reviews say it isnt as good as its competition and my opinion may well be very different from yours.

the travel and geo adjust is such a good feature and is so usefull and makes such a difference to a ride that i dont think i could be without it. i always regretted se;;ing my bionicon golden willow and was never completely satisfied with its replacements,

being without that orange button is a real disadvantage to me personally and the only thing i dont like about this bike is the fact i dont need anything else anymore (i like to own and buy bikes you see)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Looking good.

What do you mean about the shim btw?

For my GD I just bought a 27.2-30.0 shim from Superstar. You'd never know it was there.

Also, are you running fully sealed cables on that? That is an addition I absolutely MUST make when I get around to it. Never had a bike with cable routed under the downtube like this, and if I'm honest it's a bit of a webbo place to put them.