Training program for newbie

Lara Bara
Lara Bara Posts: 3
I hope to do a long distance ( for me) bike ride early next summer to raise funds for a charity. Its approx 400 miles and I'd like to do it in as little time as possible, hoping for 100 miles a day. I had a hybrid for my birthday in the summer and regularly do 30-40 miles a week in west wales, so its quite hilly. My intension is to get a road bike in the spring but need to know if I should start a training program. I'm in my mid 40's and my other interests are hillwalking and rockclimbing so I'm fairly fit but no athlete by a long shot. Any help would be gratefully recived
Thank you

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    more regular and progressively longer rides - simple. Don't let the terrain round here put you off. Whereabouts in west wales..?? There are a couple of clubs which you could probably ride with, depending on your location....
  • Based in the Ammanford area and cycle up to Brynaman,the black mountain and Llangadog and home, up to Llyn Brianne etc have cycled up to Aberaeron as well but that nearly killed me, especially from Hebron up to Lampeter and also the local sustrans trails