nutrition

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
Ok this gets very confusing as theres so many conflicitng ideas.

I have a hard time recovering with my quads and glutes almost always tight having just stepped training up.

I'm only doing 150miles per week cycling but its all high intensity and mixed in with other disciplines (eg running, swimming, weights, etc).

Anyway. Is there a decent resource for nutritional info?

So far my knowledge only stems as far as simple and complex carbs/sugars (i.e. when to use them and what to avoid). Plus the usual bumph about whey etc.

Things like fat types I have a basic understanding of, but it's getting to the point where a little bit of knowledge is quite probably dangerous so would rather have a decent reference I can refer to.

Any suggestions please?
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• I know its not nutritional but have you tried stretching after your ride/training? And also using a foam roller. Both excellent for relieving tight muscles.
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    Hi, Yes I use dynamic stretches before and static stretches after. Partly as it's physio (missing an ACL in my one leg, though its the leg that gives me the least grief).

It might just be sometihng silly as im not mixing it up enough so I'm not resting muscles enough between sessions, but I'd still love to find a nutritional guide as although my weight is about right the bodyfat level needs to drop a few percent IMO.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • bhickey
    bhickey Posts: 49
    I started using SIS Rego about a year ago and have found it makes a huge difference in terms of post ride muscle fatigue. That, plus a regular deep tissue sports massage are ideal. I'd also +1 the foam roller idea.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Simonb256 wrote:

Any suggestions please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide- ... 775&sr=8-1

Best tenner you will spend
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    It could be that you are not recovering enough, due to doing too much. How many rest days do you have, also weights are more likely to cause DOMS than just cycling.

Also the fact you have just stepped up training might be a reason, without a complete detailed breakdown of what you were doing before, and what you are doing now, and how long you have been doing it, it is difficult to even pinpoint if it is a nutritional issue.

Basic nutrition needs to be a wholesome, and as unprocessed as possible. You might need a higher amount of protein for adequate recovery of the muscles. Having a recovery drink with a mix of protein and carbs will help along way to getting decent recovery.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    JGSI wrote:
    Simonb256 wrote:

Any suggestions please?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide- ... 775&sr=8-1

Best tenner you will spend

+1
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale