Will a turbo trainer really r@pe my tyres?

Suffolkwheels
Suffolkwheels Posts: 167
edited November 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Good evening you fine cycling folk,

I'm thinking about getting this in order to reduce my moob bulbosity: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Elite ... 360026397/

I see lots of people saying turbos can damage tyres and it's best to get a spare wheel specifically for the turbo. The trouble is, I'm a gypsy skank type, thus I'm wondering just how quickly a turbo r@pes one's tyre. Would it not be cheaper just to use it through winter then get a new tyre when the air is full of Spring?

Ta in advance for your thoughts.
Giant Rapid 3

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Turbos will always damage your tyre and wear it out. Some faster than others. Most people have a separate wheel for their turbo - because they don't just strap the bike onto the turbo for 6 months in a row.

Me - I ride both indoor and out in the winter, depending on the day and the weather. So want the ease of swapping a wheel quickly - and not having to change the tyre every time.

But if you're going to leave the bike on the turbo until the spring, no problem with using whatever tyre and running it until it wears out.

(You can buy a REALLY cheap rear wheel for the turbo and a good turbo tyre will last much longer than a regular road one)

Some people have managed to ride the same tyre on both the road and turbo with some success. Like I said - depends on the turbo.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    I think it depends on the tyre, I wore out a Michelin Pro 2 race pretty quickly (it was already near to the end of its life), but a really old (and very cheap!! I'm careful with my money too Suffolkwheels :) ) Vitorria that i chucked on seems to be lasting really well, I currently only have one wheel, so it's used both out on the road and on the turbo.

One other consideration seems to be how tight you have the roller against the tyre, I now squash the tyre quite a bit, whereas I didn't used to, I think the tyre lasts longer having it more squashed/tighter.
  • If you only have one bike/rear wheel it's worth just using your current tyre and replacing it when it wears out. It shouldn't wear out *that* quickly. But it gives you the ability, as above, of taking the bike outside without having to faff changing tyres.
    Personally I have a winter hack bike so I stick the decent bikes on the turbo and use a dedicated turbo wheel with a conti home trainer tyre on it...which is going strong after 3 years of regular abuse.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I just put my summer bike on the turbo for the winter and fitted a Vittoria red coloured turbo tyre. Its noticeably quieter and squeaks and slips loads less than my Pro Race tyre did and as its there until spring I dont mind the hassle of swapping it over. I used to find a sudden increase in effort would cause squeal and often some slip regardless of how tight the roller was on, but yesterdays session I never once even noticed anything for 60 mins - that makes it a better experience on the turbo IMHO. If it lasts longer as well then thats a bonus.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I have the same turbo and at present my winter bike is on the turbo, but as the roads are now getting salty I will stop using the summer bike, pack it away and use the winter bike for the turbo and road.

The tire has worn quite a bit, it a Continental Race jobby and its done well, a year of riding on the road and spring and summer this year on the turbo and its still got some life in it for the turbo but I wouldnt be happy using it on the road, but as others have said and what I plan to do is get a cheap spare wheel and swap it over.

Wear rate depends on what you do, lots of hard fast intervals and it will wear quicker than a easy slow riding, same as the road really...
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I've been using the same tyre on my Tacx Flow for around a year now and it's been fine.
  • jackp
    jackp Posts: 48
    Reminds me with my first turbo that completely shredded a tire when it was new, I think its how far you push the roller onto the tyre if its an adjustable turbo like my v150
    maybe worth getting a few cheap sets of winter tyres?
    last year my vittoria zaffiro tyres lasted all winter with surprisingly not many punctures
    cheap aswell-£15 a pair on ebay!
    hope this helps
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Yes.

I only used it three times a week last winter and it went through a tyre no problem rendering it useless in a short space of time.
    58585 Posts: 207
    If you want the flexibility to train inside or outside during the winter with the least fuss, a set of rollers might be better. You can use your normal tyres on those without any problem.

I found that going down to the trainer in the basement was hard enough, let alone having to change a wheel/tyre over before getting stuck in :evil:

I'll also add that the Tacx satori does a good job of shredding tyres, there was a neat pile of rubber behind the back wheel after the 1 time II used a road tyre. I've bought a trainer tyre now and think it's money well spent, depending on how much use you'll give it.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    My turbo does shred the tyre, but it's only really noticable if it's slipping on the tyre. The friction will cause it to heat up the tyre.

I always use an old tyre and just swap it when I need to use the turbo. I keep saying I'm going to buy another wheel but have never got around to it. Last time I went looking for a spare back wheel I ended up bying another bike.......(which didn't actually fix the problem as now I use thta bike as a winter bike and still need to swap the tyre.
  • Hi,

I use a turbo every winter - at least between 5 and 6 hours on bad weather weeks,

Special tyres can be quieter but do wear and the coloured rubber get's everywhere.

The best tyres for general winter and turbo if you don't want to change tyres or wheels are Conti Gatorskins. These last almost a full year on my trainer bike!

They do not wear on the Turbo and importantly they are very tough on the winter roads.So to use the Turbo you just need to wipe them down.

They come in folding and none folding style - both are good and the non folding are even cheaper and I feel excellent value for money.

Tom
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The Veloflex Record on our track bike went to pieces after one ride on the Cyclops so we got the Conti turbo model.
    M.Rushton
  • I blew a tire a long time ago on a turbo trainer. Scary...
    I have used a spare wheel with throw away tires from my LBS before. I'm like that. :roll:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • I'm ordering a turbo this week and was wondering out tyres.

If i buy a cheap rear wheel with and a turbo tyre to I have to change the cassette over each time I change the wheels over.

This may be a silly question as I've never removed the rear wheel of my rodie but on my MTB the cassette is attached.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Same on a road bike you need to buy a cassette for the spare wheel otherwise it would be a real pain swapping cassettes each time!
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Not that I use my turbo much (plan to this year tho) but I usually keep my road tyres that have splits in them for turbo. I have several with plenty of tread that just had flint holes which I wont risk using on road again so I have a few reserves :D
  • My TT bike its on the turbo all winter and during the summer when not racing on it. I've got the same fortezza tricomp that I had on it this time last year, and its wearing fine. I'm using it on a cycleops fluid 2 trainer, and there is little slpping between the roller and tyre. 120psi in the tyre and good hard fit and I don't seem to have any problems with tyre wear.
  • My TT bike its on the turbo all winter and during the summer when not racing on it. I've got the same fortezza tricomp that I had on it this time last year, and its wearing fine. I'm using it on a cycleops fluid 2 trainer, and there is little slpping between the roller and tyre. 120psi in the tyre and good hard fit and I don't seem to have any problems with tyre wear.
  • I have the conti turbo trainer tyre and no slipping, very little noise and no tyre wear, well pleased with it so far.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • I have the conti turbo trainer tyre and no slipping, very little noise and no tyre wear, well pleased with it so far.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme