I'm a PC and i'm shite

13»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    dhope wrote:
    I notice how itboffin has strategically lit the touch paper and retreated to watch us bicker.

Either that or his silly tarty mac can't get online today.

:lol:

this itboffin has spent over 20 years fettling with all manner of hardware and software and come to the conclusion that customer dependant systems run on NIX, I use Mac because the have the nice UI and NIX underneath, windows is only used by non technical staff....

and go!!!!

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    itboffin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    I notice how itboffin has strategically lit the touch paper and retreated to watch us bicker.

Either that or his silly tarty mac can't get online today.

:lol:

this itboffin has spent over 20 years fettling with all manner of hardware and software and come to the conclusion that customer dependant systems run on NIX, I use Mac because the have the nice UI and NIX underneath, windows is only used by non technical staff....

and go!!!!

:roll:

Nope, I tried babelfish, no luck

Say what now?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    See, that's the thing with Macs. On windows 'delete' = delete.

I believe that on windows the delete key sends the backspace key code so its not really delete.

Now don't get them started on whether delete should erase to the left or right when using a VT200 terminal.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There's a delete key?

Who the hell presses that! Delete is so final, much prefer backspace....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    ...you can't type a £ on a US PC keyboard.
    Alt+0163

:P

+1

Don't you youngsters learn your ASCII code tables any more ?

;-)

But I can't do that, my laptop doesn't have a numeric keyboard. :twisted:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    There's a delete key?

DDD doesn't have a delete key?

That explains a lot
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Ctl Alt Backspace just sounds wrong.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    There's a delete key?

you need the kill -9 command

I hate this thread
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    IT DOESN'T MATTER. THEY'RE JUST COMPUTERS.

i have 3 macs - one with a windows partition and one running ubuntu. i like them. i don't mind windows, i don't mind linux, i don't mind osx
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Full size Mac keyboards have all the commands, backspace, delete, £, the lot.
    If you want a smaller keyboard, compromises have to be made but the functionality is still there.

£ will not be available on the US keyboard as they don't use £s very often. It is always available in the symbols. Why would you have a US keyboard?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • will3
    Do macs still get supplied with single button mice?
  • Alphabet
    will3 wrote:

nope, they now have a fairly ludicrous 4, with a multi touch pad on the top.
  • will3
    Alphabet wrote:
    will3 wrote:

nope, they now have a fairly ludicrous 4, with a multi touch pad on the top.

as in you wait ages for a second one and then 4 come along all at once?

Typical.
  • dhope wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion I'm the most adept PC user on the planet. Mine just works. Sorry, I know that's a Mac mantra but it's quick, everything runs, can't remember the thing crashing.

And if any OS is tailormade for LFGSS then it's OSX :wink:
    /troll

Can I join your club? I've had windows running on two different laptops for nigh on 5 years. Not one problem so far.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • Alphabet
    dhope wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion I'm the most adept PC user on the planet. Mine just works. Sorry, I know that's a Mac mantra but it's quick, everything runs, can't remember the thing crashing.

And if any OS is tailormade for LFGSS then it's OSX :wink:
    /troll

Can I join your club? I've had windows running on two different laptops for nigh on 5 years. Not one problem so far.

I'll be in on that. never had a problem with XP on my mac. unfortunately that last sentence is a circular comment within the realms of ths argument. the world will now loop for all eternity. have a nice day.
  • daviesee
    will3 wrote:

The Trackpad has none! :shock:
  • daviesee wrote:
    £ will not be available on the US keyboard as they don't use £s very often. It is always available in the symbols. Why would you have a US keyboard?

1) I work for a US company, then send PCs over from the US. They come with US keyboards.
    2) I sometimes have to go to the US with work. When the pound was stronger I bought a Mac over there. Sold it on eBay 18 months later for a profit. Even with its US keyboard.
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    My work PC is from the US. I changed the localisation to UK keyboard. You just have to remember that the " and ' keys swap around and that # becomes £.

No need to learn ASCII
  • pintoo wrote:
    My work PC is from the US. I changed the localisation to UK keyboard. You just have to remember that the " and ' keys swap around and that # becomes £.

No need to learn ASCII

I actually bought a UK keyboard. I need both £ and #, it's a bugger any other way.
  • daviesee

[1) I work for a US company, then send PCs over from the US. They come with US keyboards.
    2) I sometimes have to go to the US with work. When the pound was stronger I bought a Mac over there. Sold it on eBay 18 months later for a profit. Even with its US keyboard.

That's the price you pay for doing it on the cheap.
    quote="pintoo"]My work PC is from the US. I changed the localisation to UK keyboard. You just have to remember that the " and ' keys swap around and that # becomes £.

No need to learn ASCII

I actually bought a UK keyboard. I need both £ and #, it's a bugger any other way.[/quote]

Using the profit from the sold one? That is how you get round it 8)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh! Oh!! please WTF is up with Windows, I've spent 1.5 days patching Windows 2003/2008 servers only to find even more vulnerabilities introduced by the patches.

arrrggggghhhhh

:evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I don't really get the problem some people have with Windows. OK, a Windows-based PC may occasionally be a bit more unstable than a Mac, but I think that's largely due to the huge variety of components that can be thrown together in a PC. I'm told Macs "just work", but it's a lot easier to "just work" if you control both the OS and the hardware it runs on. Besides, I know Mac users whose Macs sometime "don't work", and I have a friend who supports a university's Macs who hates them with a passion because of the problems they cause him.

This PC I'm using at the moment at work is running Vista. I haven't rebooted it for about 7 weeks, and it's still running just fine. \o/

Besides, I get a lot more for my money with Windows-based PCs, and until recently I couldn't have played TF2 on a Mac, let alone any other Steam games (or a load of other games I play).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)