I'm a PC and i'm shite

Comments

• I have to admit, I do get fed up of IT types constantly saying
    IT Types wrote:
    'Windows is rubbish! I run [obscure collection of letters and numbers] on an [obscure collection of letters and numbers] and it freakin' rocks! Who wants to touch me?'

They seem just about able to put up with certain iterations of windows and maybe some Mac stuff, but OTOH, the vast majority of other users of this planet manage to get by just fine with whichever windows is currently out, or an equivalent Mac for the hipsters.

I mean, really, move to shoreditch already and complain about how you liked linux before it was cool.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    itboffin wrote:
    Glad i'm a Mac user that is all!

[Geek]
    Don't know how many macs you own, and what kind. In the office/lab we have around 10 between macbookpros, macpros, and xserves.
    They are some of the most incredibly difficult machines to get to work as intended, need rebooting pretty frequently *if* you install an update, including security updates, and have several performance issues, on top of which, they are way overpriced.
    We have Itanium machines running Windows more stable than that.
    And I am not a Windows fan.
    [/Geek]
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I have to admit, I do get fed up of IT types constantly saying
    IT Types wrote:
    'Windows is rubbish! I run [obscure collection of letters and numbers] on an [obscure collection of letters and numbers] and it freakin' rocks! Who wants to touch me?'

They seem just about able to put up with certain iterations of windows and maybe some Mac stuff, but OTOH, the vast majority of other users of this planet manage to get by just fine with whichever windows is currently out, or an equivalent Mac for the hipsters.

I mean, really, move to shoreditch already and complain about how you liked linux before it was cool.

This is very similar to how some of us feel about fixie types................ :P
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Just installed Ubuntu 10.10 and the first set of updates was a chunky 100MB. The install was almost painless except for one screen - setting the account details - where it just stops without a clue as to why. Turns out that the user name can only be in lower-case but the relevant textbox will accept upper-case, resulting in no way to continue if you enter a capital letter, and no indication of why the thing won't continue... Not a good intro for non-Linux users, but at least it didn't involve vi <shudder>
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    I'm in the market for a new machine. I am seriously considering an iMac, but I suspect that the gushing praise it receives is overblown.

E.g. I have an iPhone. It is the worst phone I have ever owned. It is certainly the best mini computer I have ever owned, too. But as a phone, total garbage. It never seems to have a signal. The battery won't last a full day on low usage.

However, most people fawn over the iPhone. I don't trust them. And that's why I won't trust an iMac, either.

On the other hand, yes Vista was rubbish. But Win7 is perfectly fine. In fact - it's very good. I have no issues with it at all. And I have no issues with the updates. What? Would you prefer the vulnerabilities to be left open? As someone said before, you can choose to let the machine install all updates, or just to inform you and you choose when to install them. It's really not hard.

I also run Ubuntu on all my older machines. It's fantastic. But let's not kid ourselves and pretend there aren't massive, regular updates to Ubuntu.

I'm no fan of the way MS run their business. But compared to Apple, they are a beacon of openness. Even Google are starting to "do evil". MS is not the worst kid on the block anymore.

As for hardware, I can either buy an iMac with a modest spec for just under £1,000, or a cutting edge spec PC for the same price.

E.g.
    Apple Macbook Pro / Dell XPS Studio 15
    13.3" screen / 15.6" 1080p screen
    Intel Core 2 Duo / Core i7
    256MB video card / 2Gb video card

Not to mention the inability to self-replace anything on the Apple compared to the standard parts used in the Dell.

I'm not anti-Mac, but I don't think they're worth the money. They OS might be nice, but Win7 is perfectly fine.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    IT Types wrote:

That post... you must be blessed with a version of The Power Awesome too!

My Dad is in IT, he built a PC, partitioned this, Linnux that. Never worked.

I built a PC at less than half the price around the same time worked for 5 years. And I downloaded a lot at Uni...

I built a new PC run XP, works fine.

As a technology rule, I don't get the first example of a new piece of technology.

Example: Windows 95 I'd wait until the third iteration - Windows NT or ME. So when Windows Vista came out I laughed at those who rushed to buy its bug filled madness. I probably won't get Windows 7, I'll wait until the third version of 64bit OS.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    IT Types wrote:

I do love it when linux or mac users make any complaint of any kind about their computers. And it happens surprisingly often, especially linux, which seems to be the meccano of the computer world - 90% of the fun is in making it work in the first place.
  • biondino wrote:
    IT Types wrote:

I do love it when linux or mac users make any complaint of any kind about their computers. And it happens surprisingly often, especially linux, which seems to be the meccano of the computer world - 90% of the fun is in making it work in the first place.

Agreed.

I have a linux computer - an eeePC to be precise - bought for its cheap price and teeny tiny size. It's fine, until you want to change the tiniest thing. Then you need to replicate pages and pages and pages of what I can only assume is 'code'. If it were windows, all I'd have to do is download something that did that for me.

Funny enough, the eeePC now has windows. Who'd'a thunk it?
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    NGale uses Ubuntu (in fact I am using her laptop at the moment using Ubuntu) what she likes about it is the frequent updates because they admit things are always changing and bugs need ironing out. Her gripe with windows is that it takes Microsoft years to sort out the small things, Ubuntu do it within months. She also finds it runs more smoothly but does get frustrated that she has to use windows in order to use CAD and some other software specific to her studies.

I have always been used to macs, as I say my father was an early adopter to Apple as a computer brand so I have known them around the home since at least the mid 80s and as such I like Macs.

Macs are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them but you don't know until you try.
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    IT Types wrote:

I built a PC at less than half the price around the same time worked for 5 years. And I downloaded a lot at Uni...

As a technology rule, I don't get the first example of a new piece of technology.

Example: Windows 95 I'd wait until the third iteration - Windows NT or ME. So when Windows Vista came out I laughed at those who rushed to buy its bug filled madness. I probably won't get Windows 7, I'll wait until the third version of 64bit OS.

Yep, you're right DDD. I am awesome. Oh no, hang on, what I meant to say was you're right about waiting for latter iterations of new tech. I bucked my usual trend with my current W7 laptop, though, and it's just fine and dandy.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    We run a mixture at work.
    All the servers in the DCs are running linux and are really stable: years of uptime

The desktops are a mixture of windows, linux and mac, depending on the tasks required. I run a dev environment on windows 7 and it's fine. The guys developing iphone apps are on the macs and those are fine, too. We did have one developer who'd be on the bleeding edge repositories for linux. He'd break his machine with monotonous regularity. Much swearing would ensue...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I thought you were in architecture....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CdrJake wrote:
    Macs are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them but you don't know until you try.

Ah I disagree! I have a Mac - an older iMac - the one with the hemispherical base. I don't mind it. It's fine. When I first got it I thought it was the Best Thing Ever, then I realised just how much I couldn't do on it. It was fun trying to work out ways around it, but I ended up buying a windows laptop to go with it, and the iMac quickly lapsed into being a very pretty data archive.
  • Macs only have a backspace key, right? No delete key.

That sucks.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I thought you were in architecture....
    Who, sir? Me, sir?

In a manner of (IT) speaking, yes
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Macs only have a backspace key, right? No delete key.

That sucks.

Depends on the keyboard. For some bizarre reason the wireless keyboards these days don't have a numberpad, or various other bits and pieces that normally come to the right of the enter key. The wired ones are all present and correct however.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I notice how itboffin has strategically lit the touch paper and retreated to watch us bicker.

Either that or his silly tarty mac can't get online today.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Greg66 wrote:

That sucks.

"fn <-" = Delete
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

That sucks.

"fn <-" = Delete

See, that's the thing with Macs. On windows 'delete' = delete.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    CdrJake wrote:

Ah I disagree! I have a Mac - an older iMac - the one with the hemispherical base. I don't mind it. It's fine. When I first got it I thought it was the Best Thing Ever, then I realised just how much I couldn't do on it. It was fun trying to work out ways around it, but I ended up buying a windows laptop to go with it, and the iMac quickly lapsed into being a very pretty data archive.

Same here, to some extent. Have a MacBookPro at home, use it as an appliance in the kitchen: lovely screen, shame about the keyboard, even more shame about the OS.

It is very quick to come back from a hibernate state, except when it doesn't and needs a 4-second-power-button-press to reboot and I lose everything...

Discovered how useless the aluminium case was when holding the thing by its front to move it once, I pinched it too hard and that aluminium case bent to the point where it would not eject anymore.

Used a screwdriver to bend it back, now I dread if it were to happen again, since aluminium can't deal with it being bent too many times, and will eventually crack. And cost a fortune to replace.

I wonder if the bin men will ever notice the macbookpro in the plastic and cans recycling box on Tuesday morning...
  • daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

That sucks.

"fn <-" = Delete

Quiet. daviesee has, wittingly or otherwise, underlined the fact that Macs have no delete key.

I remember using WordPerfect with its little fold out strip that sat above the F keys. That was a PITA too.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • But, but, but...

http://yfrog.com/0su6cnj

(Should probably clean my keyboard).
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

That sucks.

"fn <-" = Delete

serious comment: I find deleting counterintuitive. backspace - to me - seems the
    'right" direction to do it. Is there some genuine advantage to deleting that means - other than personal preference - it really does suck not having it?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    IT Types wrote:

Yep, you're right DDD. I am awesome. Oh no, hang on, what I meant to say was you're right about waiting for latter iterations of new tech. I bucked my usual trend with my current W7 laptop, though, and it's just fine and dandy.

I guess it come down to what you need;; Most of my work is based on Linux and various "X" operating systems - therefore I need a workstation where I can replicate client environments, it is also easier for me to use a Linux environment for my day to day stuff as it saves me booting into Windows constantly. For everyday, 99% of people run of the mill stuff, Windows is widely accepted - as it is the most popularo/s - It does not make the O/S good though! It is tripe and has allot of flaws - hence the OP on this thread!

I'd rather be flying helicopters......
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    IME, computers are generally great right up untill you plug them into the corporate network and/or start running antivirus/spyware programmes. Then they spend the first 5/10/15 minuites after you switch on updating this and that and preventing you from doing anything usefull.

Hence blame the feckers that write the spyware/viruses for your woes, they must be costing gazzillions in wasted time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Greg66 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

That sucks.

"fn <-" = Delete

Quiet. daviesee has, wittingly or otherwise, underlined the fact that Macs have no delete key.

I remember using WordPerfect with its little fold out strip that sat above the F keys. That was a PITA too.

Dunno what Mac he's looking at, but mine very clearly has a backspace and a delete key. I think the laptops double up a few keys to make the keypad smaller, which might be what he means, but all the desktops have the full complement. Anyone know why the @ and " keys are different on Macs and PCs?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone know why the @ and " keys are different on Macs and PCs?

The UK Mac follows the same positioning as the US version for the " and @, UK PC keyboards do not. On the plus side, if you need to type a £ on a US Mac, you just use the cmd + 3 keys, you can't type a £ on a US PC keyboard.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    will3 wrote:
    IME, computers are generally great right up untill you plug them into the corporate network and/or start running antivirus/spyware programmes. Then they spend the first 5/10/15 minuites after you switch on updating this and that and preventing you from doing anything usefull.

Hence blame the feckers that write the spyware/viruses for your woes, they must be costing gazzillions in wasted time.

it's steve jobs that writes those, just to grind down the competition.

I run Win 7 and it runs fine, to the OP, as said if you have auto updates on, leave it off for weeks and come back. It's just doing what you told it, don't fault the OS for that.
    FCN 12
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    ...you can't type a £ on a US PC keyboard.
    Alt+0163

:P
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    _Brun_ wrote:
    ...you can't type a £ on a US PC keyboard.
    Alt+0163

:P

+1

Don't you youngsters learn your ASCII code tables any more ?

;-)
    Misguided Idealist