Bike stolen FROM Evans Cycles...

13»

Comments

• And anyway, from my rusty A-level law - aren't those "no responsibility" signs not worth the cardboard they're printed on?

I believe that whilst those signs proclaiming any injury sustained on the premises is not the responsibility of the management are hokum, as anyone operating a publically accessable premises has a duty of care, those that decry any responsibilty for personal belongings are valid.

I'm sure Spen will leap in and correct me if I'm wrong.....
  • I've been in that shop a good few times and got to know the manager quite well. If its the same guy (Tim) then he is a really sound bloke and bent over backwarrds to help me when I had a warranty issue with Trek. The guys at that shop do have a good idea of who regularly comes in to nick things as I have witnessed them follow and eject somebody who they knew of this BUT you cant hold them responsible or blame the fact that they provide bike racks as enticement to shop thus attracting thieves. I also know that area well Shoreditch/Hoxton/Bethnal Green I'm sorry but it terms of bikes you have to presume there is always somebody within 10 metres of you looking to thieve the bike - even in a shop.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I personally think that the 10% discount blanket offer is a good offer. You sadly left a bike, unlocked, in a public place and it was stolen. Any bike left at any bike shop, even staff bikes, is NOT usually covered by insurance unless it is BOOKED in for repair work. Maybe try and turn this thread slightly less against Evans, then perhaps try negotiating a slightly better reduction on a new bike. Some brands are NOT 40% margin as a poster earlier seemed to think, especially when you start looking at the more exotic brands or old model ranges. Would you rather the shop took away this option of leaving your bike inside? As that would be the sensible thing to do on their part right now!
  • I have also left my bike up there and have been assured that it would be fine as there is always a staff member there,surely it would be better to say it "you can never be to safe" and have you lock it up. I won't be going in to that shop anymore. :(
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • SUPER-LONG POST ALERT.................

5 turnips wrote:
    your best hope is they give you a significant discount off a replacement bike or sell you one at cost (bear in mind they will be making 100% margin on most of what they sell)...

YOU ARE DILLUSIONAL MY FRIEND!!! Bike shops make approx 30 % on a bike, based on FULL RRPs and a VERY efficient ordering and stocking system. I have a friend who works in a LBS and I have seen the figures to back this up. Bare in mind that what you observe as "making 'x/y/z' percent " doesnt cover the fact that when some moron breaks something by falling off and smashing it into the ground, said moron claims its warranty and they then go about sending the product back to be looked at... normally at the shops cost. Shop takes the product off the bike, stores the bike, refits the replacement product when it comes back (having NOT been warranty cos he crashed the life out of it), which the shop normally suffers the cost of in the form of postage, workshop labour time, tool wear and tear, losing the will to live etc etc etc AND not charging any "profit" for their time, as a gesture of goodwill on their part. Take into account the free service that almost every shop gives you after 4-6 weeks and when theyve pished about with all this, day in, day out, they'll be lucky to see 20%. Anyone in business will know that 20% profit on something, having taken into account JUST THOSE factors above, let alone electric, taxes etc doesnt leave THAT MUCH for your SUPPOSED 100% profit.
    Life isnt as rose-tinted as 100% profits my friend. Try going to business school.
    Treas0n wrote:
    bone_idle - yes, this was the Spitalfields store - I will never be shopping in Evans again, regardless of any outcome i get out of this.

Then based on that one statement alone, why on earth would they feel obligated to give you a bike for free!? You are dreaming! You didnt lock your bike up. Its your own fault. Live with it.
    (pre-empting you asking me "how would I feel if it was me" ..... it wouldnt be me.. Id lock my bike up with the TWO locks I always carry. Good expensive bikes, Good expensive Locks.
    Treas0n wrote:
    While i completely appreciate that this is not a matter caused by Evans, Evans do have a duty of care towards their customers that i feel they have completely failed on, on this occasion.

While with hindsight it would definitely have been prudent for me to lock up the cycle - the same could be said about the lack of store security - what measures are now being taken to ensure that further customers do not have to suffer the same fate?

With all due respect, I received a 10% discount when i bought the bike - I hardly feel that that is a sufficient offer when the bike was stolen on your premises.

This is however a personal matter i have with yourselves, and not one i wish to discuss over a forum. My original post was made to gather feedback from other cyclists, who may have found themselves in a similar position such as myself. You clearly have seen the amount of interest this post has generated and how this currently does not look great for the Evans brand name.

If you wish to discuss this further then please message me privately or use my telephone number that I gave to a member of Evans Customer Service over the the phone.

So you got a discount when you bought the bike? Ungrateful S.O.B! That discount isnt your "right" as you seem to feel it is. That was pretty nice of them. Its also pretty nice of them to offer you a 10% for your stupidity. Evans put those signs up for a reason. So stupid people like you dont go all American on them and try and sue them for your own carelessness.

If its such a personal matter (you Hypocrit), then why post up in the first place? You should have sorted it out with Evans first and THEN posted up your experience. What you are doing is sh1t-stirring and trying to tarnish a companies reputation by trying to make others feel that they are unreasonable, unhelpful and dont care about their customers. Im pretty sure that Balint DOES appriciate Evans customers, because in the long run, they pay his wages. Balin has a job because cycling is a growth market. Congratulations to Balint, as he obviously wouldnt have got to where he is, without being pretty good at his job. If this were not the case, he'd be one of the countrys unemployed, so you should thank Balint for not being on the dole and costing you even more money.

You'd be nieve to think that the "amount of interest" was the thing that caght his attention! I'm sure 3 or 4 dozen people from Evans saw it before you even recieved a post responce from a single person! Evans are in the bike trade! Bike people use bike forums. You're a biker, Im a biker, the staff at evans are all probably bikers too (well, the majority of them probably are anyway), so you'd have your head shoved somewhere if you think that Evans wouldnt have seen this anyway!
    Well done you!!! How noble of you to quite obviously state that it would have been prudent to personally establish that your bicycle was secure. Give yourself a pat on the back for having such little ownership of your own ill fate!!! Evans supply a facility that is used at your own risk. They put signs up to remind you of this! You are responsible for your own actions. If you want to be taken care of and have your bottom wiped like some sort of vegetable, go and live in USA! You'll fit right in with their "it wasnt my fault" culture.
    Paracite!
    Mate i feel sorry for you.
    plus the audacity of balint @ evans to offer you 10% discount, 10%!!!!!!!!!!
    i live in close to spitalfields so i think it would help if you listed the make and model plus colours of the bike and I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.
    regards
    Tell you what, take 10% of your wages..... now go and give it to someone who doesnt deserve it. How does that feel? Not very fair is it? Thats how it must feel for Evans to feel that they are "obliged" (that seems to be the word that everyone is throwing about) to give away 10% of their "wages" from that bike.
    Wappygixer wrote:
    I think its a generous offer personally.
    As a retail manager I think they have offered far and above what is really required.
    How would you feel if they had a security guard that would look after your bike at a charge of £10 to cover his wages?
    As I said in my earlier post they do more by at least offering you indoor racks.If you were to nieve to leave your bike unlocked then I think you just need to put it down to a learning experience which one would hope you will not repeat.
    If Evans have a duty of care in the store does that mean the complex owners have a duty of care for outside storage?Would you have tried to get a new bike out of them also?
    I do too! They didnt have to do ANYTHING for him. I 'cyber-shake' your hand in agreement on all points made!
    rooster84 wrote:
    @Wappygixer
    I think the point here which you have missed since you are a "retail manager" is that if it had been outside then the bike would have been locked up therefore it would have been dealt with the insurance company. You would assume the safety of your bike in a bicycle shop of all places is a given. Your post is actually quite flippant.

10% is insulting as you get that by default when you buy a bike - I've bought my fair share of bikes and always had a 10% "manager discount".

You should stick to retail therapy mate.

WOULD IT THOUGH? I mean, come on! If the victim of this oppertunist crime has been so careless to have NOT locked his bicycle up when he left it, this suggests a complacency in his attitude to security. Thus suggesting that he MAY NOT have locked it SECURELY (There is a difference between locking it up and locking it up securely)
    Your post is narrow-minded.
    You dont get 10% off automatically, otherwise shops would just advertise at 10% cheaper and attract more people through the door.
    You should also stick to American Cultures.
    Treas0n wrote:
    As a retail manager you seem to be missing the point. What's the point in offering bike storage without bike safety? Even had I chose to chose to lock the bike - there is nothing to lock it to.
    I almost wish the bike was stolen outside of the Evans store - they seem to have better security out there...
    As a retail manager, he's hit the point right on the head.
    If there is nothing to lock the bike to, then take it upon yourself to lock it somewhere where there IS somewhere to lock it TO. Back again to the point about taking responsibility for your own actions.
    I also wish that the bike had been stolen outside of the Evans store. That way you could catch the thieving b*****d. I am genuinely sorry for you that your bike has been lifted but if you stand back for a while and look at WHY it was stolen, you shouldnt be suprised or upset and IF you were, it should only be at your own lack of responsibility for your property.
    Disapointing response from Evans and dreadful PR. With the amount of people who read these forums who will now think twice about spending money in an Evans store because they can't feel secure about leaving their bike in the store, Evans will wind up losers.
    Ah well....
    Misguided fool.
    Most of them will lock their bike outside, and take in the Sunday sights of London, whilst having a coffee/panini/pretentious snack at some trendy cafe and watch the world go by with their other latte drinking, scarf and tight jeans wearing chums! They will see others come and go on their own bikes and will, most likely, have their bicycle within eye-shot as they consider lifes frivolities. Their bike will, most likely, be locked to something secure. Hopefully with a good quality Gold Secure approved lock.
    What I find dissapointing is that Evans have decided to communicate with you through this forum in an attempt to placate themselves and in turn further fuel your anger. This is VERY unprofessional behaviour.

oh for god sake, grow up! what it shows (the public) is that he's not been given the cold shoulder, as posters can often (DO OFTEN) ONLY GIVE ONE SIDE OF THE STORY - The side that they want you to hear (no offence intended to Thread Author, im not calling you a liar and I DO sympathise that you're without a bike, let me just re-itterate that)
    theblender wrote:
    You would assume the safety of your bike in a bicycle shop of all places is a given.
    I'm a retail manager too, and on occaisions, our DISPLAY bikes have been stolen during busy periods by opportunist theives, staff do not have the time, and are not paid, to babysit peoples bikes - your bike is your responsibility - the shops bikes are the shops responsibility.
    It is in no way Evans fault that his bike was stolen - shoplifters operate in shops - the poor chap didn't lock his bike up, and some scumbag took the oportunity to steal it - it's a real shame, but the OP is naive to think the bike was safe.
    I think Evans should check the CCTV etc, and probably do a stock check, as it's likely other items were stolen too, and offering a discount on a new bike is an adequate gesture of goodwill
    If the bike was in for repairs, and was under the specific care of Evans, then Evans would be liable.
    He left it unlocked in a place where shoplifters operate - bet he would've locked it up if Evans did charge £10 for a security guard to look after it.
    If you had "secure" car-parking at work, would you leave your car unlocked?

AMEN! A man with sense! Thank you!
    @wappygixer
    You have completely missed the point. All your thinking about is how you can squeeze a bit more money out of someone 10% is sod all 30% upwards is reasonable.
    Plus you seem an obnoxious tw@t being a 'retail manager' suits you perfectly.
    Won't be giving evans any future business.

No, he hasnt missed the point. If the store wanted to qsqueeze 10% more revenue out of customers, they wouldnt give 10% discount to people on full bikes and that area that they provide as good-will for bike storage would be utilised for high-mark-up accessories, NOT free of charge bike storage that they state that you use at your own risk.

I'd also be interested to know what your job title is. Would be interested to know if we could accuse you of being an "obnoxious tw@t" as you put it, based solely off your job title.
    Thudpucker wrote:
    10% discount is an absolute insult. I was in my local Evans 2 weeks ago and after some umming and arring about buying a bike was offered a 15% discount. I’m sure had i kept going i could have gotten more as these bikes carry a huge margin. I've never bought a bike from Evans before, and certainly never had a bike stolen from inside an Evans shop. So for Evans to offer a 10% discount to this guy who purchased his bike from Evans, and had his bike stolen from inside an Evans shop is a complete joke.

I think Evans have handled this situation very badly, and as mentioned before it's not good PR. I've actually decided to buy my bike, £1800 I might add, from the local bike shop rather than Evans. Not really because of this post (although it did raise eyebrows) but mainly because the guy in the LBS knew a damn site more, offered me a better deal, and was far easier to deal with.

I'm just wondering whether Evans have put up a new notice telling owners to ensure that when customers park their bike in store to ensure that they are locked up? Has anyone been in there in the last couple of days that could confirm. It's really the least they should do, if at least to avoid having to deal with another disgruntled customer in the future.
    as previously mentioned, the bikes DONT carry a huge margin.
    What IS complete joke is the slating everyone is giving Evans (I have no affiliation to them by the way)
    Congratulations on your new bike. £1800 for a bicycle isnt an insignificant amount of money by any means, but to be honest, with attitudes like I have seen on here today, theyre probably grateful that you DIDNT shop with them.
    Andy! wrote:
    Evans should have had a clear sign warning people that bikes are left at their own risk and should be locked up.
    They should also provide suitable means for people to lock their bikes - ie decent anchor points/posts.

Legally yes, Evans have no responsibility to pay for the bike. But morally, 10% is a slap in the face. I would be mortified if I offered to let someone leave something at my store and it was stolen (I am not a store owner, speaking hypothetically). Would it cost Evans ANYTHING to offer the bike at cost? NO. Would they have got some good publicity? YES.

Personally I'll stick to online retailers I like - Wiggle, CRC, Merlin etc. or my local independent bike shop.

They do have signs saying its left at your own risk.
    You also state that they should provide suitable means to lock the bikes.... surely this implies that as well as anchor points, they should supply locks. Take responsibility for your own actions. Lock your own bike up. Simple.
    Evans have no responsibility to the Post Author. End Of.
    And with reference to sticking to 'online retaillers' ..... www.evanscycles.com
    ON...LINE.... RETAILLER.

feltkuota wrote:
    Having read the above how does this result in bad PR for Evan's? A shop btw that I'm not a fan of. They've done nothing wrong and if the thought is don't use them because somebody once had their bike stolen because they didn't read the sign and didn't lock their bike up then I'd be of the opinion that somebody is looking for something for nothing...

Jeez, you'll be telling me next that coffee cups should have caution contents hot stamped on them

I too, am not a massive fan of Evans but I find myself also defending them.
    Its all about people accepting responsibility for their own actions.
    Treas0n wrote:
    All the big supermarkets and shopping centres have massive car parks to encourage more trade, and most are riddled with cctv and security guards, but you wouldn't leave your car unlocked in one would you?

The point here is that Evans have provided NO security in their store. There are no immovable objects to lock your bike to and there is no CCTV. Was this made aware to me before I visited the store - I wouldnt have gone there in the first place.
    Let's face it, while locking up my bike possibly would have prevented the opportunist thief walking in riding off with the bike...it still won't prevent them from walking into the store and carrying the bike off.

I wonder how many customers would choose to visit the store knowing that there is no CCTV in place? Shouldn't Evans at least have CCTV to protect themselves...if not their loyal customers.
    So why whinge about it? Lock your bike outside then! Ive been to the Spitalfields store in the square (and also the Cycle Surgery store across the square and the original Surg store down the road) and there is plenty of places to lock your bike. Are you saying that you wouldnt cycle in the countryside because you couldnt lock your bike if you stopped for a drink at a pub? Go away! The amount of bikes leant up against walls at country pubs is scary! IF some scumbag wanted to walk off with a bunch of bikes, they could. The unlucky thing is that it happened to the OP because HE didnt lock the bike somewhere that HE felt was secure.
    I dont think Evans numbers 'through the door' will be affected at all - plenty of people go because of convenience. lenty go because of the range of stuff they stock. Those who just want to have a look around will probably arrive and lock their bike responsibly or have not arrived on a bike at all.
    Treas0n wrote:
    I have never stated that I am looking for "something for nothing"...I made the topic to find if anyone had found themselves in a similar situation to me.

I admitted responsibility for not locking the bike - what's done is done, but figured some people would appreciate to know where Evans stands when it comes to store security...or lack of it.

Items left at owners risk. You knew where you stood before you even walked away from your bike.
    PBo wrote:
    disclaimer: I'm not in retail.
    Although i have sympathy with anyone who loses their bike, I've got to say:
    WTF ARE SOME OF YOU F*KING WHINGERS ON??....

And then to moan because he didn't get a discounted bike!!! You are jokers. But the guy who basically insults wappygixer, just because he offers an opinion from the other side - you really take the biscuit.

Seriously, it's not that bad PR for Evans - do you know why? Because they won't go bankrupt because the 10 people on here (who probably already hate them - hence the irrational stance on this) won't shop there. I guarantee that MOST people reading this think "feel for the guy - but a bit silly really" but were too polite to post that

Whereas I now know that I can lock my bike instore - a benefit!! Mmmmm might go there...

lol!!!!!! i agree on all fronts.
    i feel for him too..... but im less polite than the others you mention and I just tell it like it is.
    A simple rack with a locking system (possibly coin operated) would not be that expensive for Evans to fit. Not hard - not expensive..
    it is, however easier and cheaper for them to say "not a problem, we'll erradicate this 'issue' by removing the bike racks" Then people will have to do as they do at all other bike shops - lock the bugger outside.
    langster wrote:
    I won't be going in to that shop anymore. :(

Sorry, but thats a blinkered attitude.
    rooster84 wrote:
    I think the idea is that Evans albeit have no legal obligation here, they are however Morally obliged to provided at least a replacement bike at cost value - now that is a gesture of goodwill.
    no they are not. You'd LIKE TO THINK that they are but why should Evans be accountable for someoen elses actions.
    If Evans did the same thing for every stolen bike in the country, they'd go out of business in 24 hours.
    rooster84 wrote:

I'm sure many of us here are curious to see what they're position is on this. Over 4000 views on this topic so far overtaking the stickies. Impressive.

The only thing I would like to see is the thieving scummer have his fingers cut off. and "Thief" tattoo'd across his forehead. Now that would be a useful step to improving security everywhere he/she went.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited November 2010
    You`re absolutely correct, that was a long post!
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Indeed, a VERY long post!

However, you hit so many nails on the head in your post that you should be a professional nail hammer-er in-er! :lol:
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I just feel sorry for the OP, who left his bike unlocked where many others on this thread have claimed they theft theirs in the supervision of staff, and where many others would feel it safe to leave their bike unlocked; it could have happened to any one of you or anyone else that has used or uses that rack, and you know that you'd be clutching at straws for any come-back on Evans in exactly the same way as the OP if your £1000+ pride and joy got nicked that way...

10% would feel like a slap in the face to me, but the truth is that it's more than they need to offer. Poor form to post it in a forum thread though.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • i know its not what you want to hear, but evans maybe should take away the bike storage area if they cannot provide security as it gives people the idea that their bike is safe, but at the end of the day its your bike to look after, i.e. lock it up.

10% is crap, the profit these companies make, they should at least offer 20-30% off a sale bike therefore making it worthwhile, im sure this would not dent profits too much.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    An interesting thread. Whilst I feel a lot of sympathy and would be totally gutted if that happened to my bike I really don't see that the store are to blame. (and I don't work for them!). At our local Evans all the bikes are fastened, which might make you be cautious of using a storage system.
    I suppose my analogy would be if I went to Evans (or anywhere ) to try clothes on and left my child unattended and someone takes them. I can't blame Evans saying that they provided a changing room and didn't look after my child.
    However the part that could be more interesting or frightening for all of us is, what happens if you take a bike in for a service. I know the bikes are all left towards the back of the store unsecured. I assume they accept liability as they are 'guardians' of your bike, or is there some small print on your service slip saying we don't accept responsibility?
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I know some companies have policies which insure bikes from theft as long as they are BOOKED IN for a repair.
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    To SCOTT325SE,
    Biggest post I've ever seen but very well said sir!
    Have a +1 for your efforts.
  • Seems to me if Evans (or any other bike shop for that matter) got too generous with goodwill gestures they'd be plagued with people turning up with old knackered lumps of rust, complaining they were stolen and then expecting heavy discounts on a nice new £2000 bike to replace the stolen one.

I'm not a big fan of Evans but they can only be expected to do so much. I've taken my bike into Evans once to look at accessories but because I couldn't carry my bike to where the accessories were I collared a member of staff to ask about what I wanted.

Leaving a bike unattended anywhere, especially in London, is daft. Why does accepting that a stranger will keep an eye on it make it any less daft?
  • you should have put a sign on your bike in evans saying hey look im not locked up, you messed up get on with it you have only yourself to blame,my new carbon bike doesnt even get in the shed or garage its the spare room for my baby, and its still locked, see im careful, just like you should have benn, sorry but thats the way it is
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    If the Evans guy is still reading this thread, or anyone else who works in a retail bike shop where "at your own risk bike storage" is provided, have a look at the new Sigma Sport's system (4th from last pic). One worth replicating I think.

Can't see very well from the pic, but they provide thick d-locks with keys hanging on the racks -- you rack your bike, lock it with the lock, carry the key around with you in the store til you're ready to leave. Yes, it's near the door, yes it's at your own risk. Obviously not 100% theft-proof but a sight better than unmanned, unwatched, insecure bike parking areas. At least any thief wanting to make off with a bike there would need to cut through the lock and bring attention to himself.

Fwiw, I'm on Evans side here, and the OP should know better than to leave a bike unattended anywhere, shop or no shop. Though I do think a 10% discount was a bit of a cheeky offer to replace the bike. Then again, how are they to know that there's not a ring of fake thieves complaining that bikes have been stolen just to be able to buy and resell new ones at cost or whatever the OP wanted.
  • startern
    startern Posts: 175
    Several things.

Evans do have a responsibility towards whatever happens on their premises, thefts included. A sign that says otherwise, ie "No" makes no sense. The shop floor is not the public outdoors. The sign itself is illegitimate. Otherwise they should not allow people to bring bikes into the store.

They do have security cameras indoors. It is more to keep an eye on staff than anything else.

Lastly, I can tell you their staff are a bunch of lightweights through and through. Well what can you expect for a bicycle retailer with corresponding pay to boot. Not particularly their fault, I'm sure it's all they can managed given their environment and circumstances. The thing is, sooner or later you will get into a fix and for those expecting reasonable or rational dealings will always have their work cut out for them.
  • Hate to say it but Evans are right here, it's not their responsibility. The bike should have been locked.
  • I haven't been able to read the entire thread so I apologise if this has been said before - disclaimer notices have no basis in English law and this is backed up by case law (although I don't have references handy).
    In my opinion becasue Evans provide bike parking facilities then they have a duty of care. How far that duty of care extends would be a matter for the courts to decide. You haven't helped matters by not locking your bike but i think my next step would be taking legal advice.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Rockhopper wrote:
    I haven't been able to read the entire thread so I apologise if this has been said before - disclaimer notices have no basis in English law and this is backed up by case law (although I don't have references handy).

That is partially incorrect. Disclaimer notices as to personal injury have no basis in law and cannot be relied upon by the owner of the premises; those pertaining to damage or loss of property are perfectly legitimate and will be upheld.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Rockhopper wrote:
    I haven't been able to read the entire thread so I apologise if this has been said before - disclaimer notices have no basis in English law and this is backed up by case law (although I don't have references handy).

That is partially incorrect. Disclaimer notices as to personal injury have no basis in law and cannot be relied upon by the owner of the premises; those pertaining to damage or loss of property are perfectly legitimate and will be upheld.

Actually, I think the poster was saying that because a sign is written and displayed, law it doth not automatically make, which is of course 100% correct (works with contracts too, including employment ones). Now obviously if the sign is 100% accurately reflecting the law, then of course the sign is correct.
    "Coming through..."
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    I think anyone would assume that a bike is safe instore, especially if the 'service' is offered as an incentive to go down stairs and spend your cash.

Evans are tighter than a rat's sphincter, I'm surprised they offered you 10% tbh.
    Guinness for strength
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Treas0n wrote:
    There was a small sign yes...does this completely dissolve them of all responsibility?

Yes it does. Just as getting your car stolen from an NCP car park is not the responsibility of the NCP ltd...Sorry.
  • OBs
    OBs Posts: 18
    Christ; my eyes hurt... I managed to read most of it. :shock:

With never visiting the store it is hard for me and others to truly comment here...
    Coat hanger? - If there is nothing to chain it to, then Evans should revaluate the 'enticing offer of good will'
    There is so many ways to make life more difficult for a thief, but most are great actors and a lot smarter than the average security staff / expert.

Although it wouldn't be very good to place a sign saying ''Low life scum operating in this area''
    The fact the Tube is plastered in signs saying 'Beware pickpockets' won't stop you using it, not that you are really spoilt for choice.. So a bit of a crap example - Other places in London have them.
    If Evans knew there was a team of ‘’’Pros’’’ targeting easy pickings, surely something should have been done a lot sooner?

Unfortunately this is the society we live in, shop lifters will pinch anything, Plasma TV's and even Washing machines (as seen repeated recently on a episode of Shops and robbers).

Even though they are easy to get a round, those silly tags that they staple to clothes would work well, do they have them on the clothing downstairs?

I suggest you get a large group together, all on bikes and pop down to the store and browse around, all keep your bikes with you of course.

Hope something good comes of this, Good luck.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Is this thread still rumbling on? Maybe the mods should consider locking?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
This discussion has been closed.