what type of mountain biking do you do

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    popstar wrote:
    Shockingly Scots are way cooler and friendlier than Welsh I have found.
    You're probably right, actually. There's a lot of angry Welsh folk.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup even i don't really like the Welsh much which is wierd :p

But the i figure i don't actually like many people much lol.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    popstar wrote:

8)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Yup even i don't really like the Welsh much which is wierd :p

But the i figure i don't actually like many people much lol.
    ^^ This.
    I think that's the general problem in Wales - nobody here likes people :lol:
    Maybe it's because we're all fed up of the "small town mentality" that's rife here, where everyone wants to know everyone else's business, even if they don't know the people involved or something :lol:
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    It's just an observation from a -Tourist point of view- really. Can't comment on family visit like, but think thats how Welsh live. Biting their own hands at recieving trade? But think thats how Welsh character is like.

Scots on the other hand are real different story, hence their XC is better. Could that be linked?
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    There seems to be this crazy resentment towards tourists in Wales, which is a serious problem, really, considering that it's really what our economy hinges on :?
    But I was referring to the general grumpiness :lol:
  • what type of mountain biking do you do?

the 'fast as fook everywhere' type
  • There seems to be this crazy resentment towards tourists in Wales, which is a serious problem, really, considering that it's really what our economy hinges on :?
    But I was referring to the general grumpiness :lol:

I'm English and work in Wales for maybe 2 or 3 days a week, in fact I'm there as I type this (and I mean deepest, darkest N. Wales where literally everyone speaks Welsh as their first language - none of this pretending for tourists nonsense you get in mid/south Wales - absolutely genuine!) Anyway, my point being, I have found it to be the friendliest place I've ever worked. Everyone is really happy to help out, say hello and generally just be nice all the time. Can't praise it enough. Naturally I've taken the time to learn few key words and phrases, and my colleagues here are keen to help out (tried holding a meeting in just Welsh once, my idea, and failed BIGTIME!) If you put a little in you'll get loads out around here.
  • Anonymous
    Forget the Welsh for "get out of my country" mentality, the Cornish are worse (and they do still believe they have their own country) :D

But they do make really nice pasties. None of your Ginsters rubbish, which although is Cornish, isn't the proper stuff.
  • popstar
    Some peeps got me wrong.

If I had to visit Wales, I'd preffer NWales over SWales. Like the character, not saying I had bad experience of people being grumpy ... as that considered them being in their own style. No problem with that. IMO NWales offers best driving experience, those -Welsh- motorways are for SurfMatt type of guys and I love it.

NWales sheep look better too, but you can't beat SWales convenience wise to Londoners or whereabouts.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Thewaylander
    If your from the West, or North wales, anyone from south Wales is English :p
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    deadkenny wrote:
    Forget the Welsh for "get out of my country" mentality, the Cornish are worse (and they do still believe they have their own country) :D

But they do make really nice pasties. None of your Ginsters rubbish, which although is Cornish, isn't the proper stuff.

Yep,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_Na ... ation_Army, pmsl go steady or they will vandalise your flower beds. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh and a North Devon company just won best the pasty of the year a few weeks ago :D

Love Cornwall though, some nice Points and Beach Breaks..................same goes for wales too 8)
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Cornwall is a Duchy and therefore is technically seperate from England. It has its own parliament and head of state.

It does do nice Pasties, and never found the people a problem. i particularly like the seal sanctury with the pool reserved for seals with SEN.

Only problem is that it is next to God's own county of Devon and thus pails into insignificance.

Still, better than the South East.
  • Anonymous
    Only problem is that it is next to God's own county of Devon and thus pails into insignificance.
    +1 with that.

And everyone outside of Devon is northern to me (well, I come from S. Devon) :D
  • which bit? I am a Torquay boy. Still miss the joys of the cider bar in Newton Abbott......

I always think that you hit the North as soon as you go out of Newton and pass the 'Idford Dip'
  • Anonymous
    Dawlish. Was born in Newton Abbot though.
  • Dawlish is cool. As is everywhere round there.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944

Nowhere is better than the south east :P
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Thewaylander

Anywhere is better than the south east :P

Sorted for you mate
  • Anonymous

Anywhere is better than the south east :P

Sorted for you mate
    Quoted for the truth :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    popstar wrote:

Yes we are. Welsh people are pretty good too but you've got to be realistic about these things.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • popstar
    But I like NWales accent, hence will pay a visit to CYB for few days. Then after that, it's a time to visit the land of Hagis'n'Whiskey and see what's the hype is all about Glentress-innerleithen.

Am I XC enough to ride there? Hope me bike carries the truth in those lands, and rewards me with epic awesomness.

• Anonymous
    Innerleithen is amazing. Make sure to check it out :D
    The only trail I prefer over it is Penmachno.
  • popstar
    Yeehaa from your words I hear that Penmachno and CYB's MBR is something we as a group ride should concetrate on? I don't mind walking some bits of trail but hope not to. Hope weather would hold up and make it fantastic experience.

As for GT-Inners* thats another story.

• Anonymous
    There's nothing remotely challenging on the Penmachno trail, it is just the kind of endless beautiful singletrack that MTBing dreams are made of.
    The MBR trail has a few things that require some attention, but nothing really tricky.

Both are great.
  • popstar
    Endless beautifull singletrack is the -New XC- then.

• Northwind
    Penmachno's ace, really glad I listened to Yeehaa on that one, my mates didn't want to go there :lol: I'm pretty sure the designers had ridden and loved Kirroughtree because it felt so familiar, though to be brutally honest not as interesting for most of it, the first half of the first loop is just a bit empty, still lovely though, oldschool. Loved those last 2 descents, they really are brilliant. Well impressed.

TBH we didn't ride a bad trail in Wales and you don't need to worry too much about finding good riding. Nant yr Arian (Syfydrin), Coed y Brenin twice (Beast and Tarw), Climachx and Penmachno, not a bad one among em and I will definately ride every one again. You have to get to CYB, though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    To be fair, Penmachno is very, very old, and hails from the very early days of MTBing.
    Modernising it would ruin it's appeal I reckon. It is so damned near perfect as is.
  • Northwind
    I didn't know it was so old, certainly doesn't show its age badly at all. When was loop 2 opened?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    I don't know specifics, but I think it was just after the Marin Trail, and very shortly after Coed y Brenin "opened"