what type of mountain biking do you do

Comments

• ben306
    ben306 Posts: 64
    I like to ride whatever I can.

Ive got a Norco hardtail with 150mm front end that I build up for about £350 quid that I take on the natural XC stuff, the trail centres, even on some of the downhill stuff (to limited to what I can hit) and I'll even have a mess on the dirt jumps with it.

If I find a nice wall, I'll try hop over it.

I have limited budget and am a fat lad, but I just enjoy getting out on the bike, riding whatever I can, be it the cracking views of the natural stuff near me, or a trip in the car to the trail centres. Tho Im usually happier with gravity on my side haha.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    The muddy type at the moment. Hoping for plenty of the snowy type this winter.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    what i have seen on the trails London, bearkshire and essex areas, of people.

I bet folk from Berkshire can spell. I'm intrigued to know how you can tell where people are from based on 'what you've seen on the trails'?

Today I couldn't be arsed to get wet, so I did the 'turbo trainer type' it was very boring, then the same came out, just to spite me.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    njee20 wrote:

I'm intrigued to know how you can tell where people are from based on 'what you've seen on the trails'?

this
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    I bet folk from Berkshire can spell. I'm intrigued to know how you can tell where people are from based on 'what you've seen on the trails'?
    Hmm. I'm guessing it's accents, or by talking to them.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Yep, Haldon especially was what I was thinking of. Terrible what they've done to the place!

Haldon was never much cop in the first place!

Going back to the OP's question: I ride whatever is laid out in front of me. I will not be categorised by the cycling industry, by people who think it's 'rad' to ride the latest made up fad (aggressive XC?? FFS) or the monthly MTB mags.

As plenty have said before me...just f*cking ride.
  • njee20

He can't spell Berkshire, but can differentiate the accent against any other home county!? Fair play! If talking to them it's a little odd to then complain they're getting in the way and that they're general tossers!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    njee20 wrote:

Thanks Yee,

Indeed i talk to people on the trail ask them move and so on, People will answer and ask where your from. South Wales gets most of the M4 corridor coming too so use a mite of common sense aswell.

And as for spelling I am on the Danish systems at work which are trying to spell check me into Danish, So i have a few issues today. But could be I have spelling dificulties too :s bit poor picking on a bit a average spelling when the meaning is fairly clear.
    Almost like me saying, I think people from Berkshire can spell correctly because it's better english. Not my place to as i do not know you back ground in English.
  • njee20
    Almost like me saying, I think people from Berkshire can spell correctly because it's better english. Not my place to as i do not know you back ground in English.

Sorry, I don't even know what that means.

I must say (not that I've ever really asked anyone to 'move' when riding), that no-ones ever said to me "where are you from", but we really are nitpicking on that.

I don't particularly disagree with you either I should add, there's plenty of city types who arrive in their Q7/X5/ML320 and stand around stroking each other c0cks at most riding places!
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:

He can't spell Berkshire, but can differentiate the accent against any other home county!?
    I can't spell worcescesecestershire sauce, but I can eat it, and use it in my cooking.
  • 'I reckon all you "I only ride natural terrain" snobs should bear something in mind.
    There are trail centres which started out as somewhere where people went to ride. Much like how climbers tend to gravitate towards certain rock faces.
    Over time, funding was gained to build some sort of facility there, and to harden the trails to the ever-increasing number of riders. '

indeed. this is why I don't ride Wharncliffe or Hamsterley any more like what I used to before they got all comedy berms and bits of Ikea furniture nailed randomly all over them..
  • I reckon all you "I only ride natural terrain" snobs should bear something in mind.
    There are trail centres which started out as somewhere where people went to ride. Much like how climbers tend to gravitate towards certain rock faces.
    Over time, funding was gained to build some sort of facility there, and to harden the trails to the ever-increasing number of riders.

The difference between natural and trail-centre can be much blurrier than some narrow minded folk seem to convince themselves.

i second that
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    njee20 wrote:
    what i have seen on the trails London, bearkshire and essex areas, of people.

I bet folk from Berkshire can spell.... then the same came out, just to spite me.

Heh.
  • Thewaylander
    I used to live in the royal shat whole so recognise the accent, (went to Uni there)
  • Thewaylander
    njee20 wrote:

He can't spell Berkshire, but can differentiate the accent against any other home county!?
    I can't spell worcescesecestershire sauce, but I can eat it, and use it in my cooking.

I can hardly spell but i can do really clever maths :p and i speak too ooo and I read.

It really is a useless point.

and Njee the conversations normal go as i try to get by on some fire road or summat

me:excuse me
    foreigner : alright
    me:hey
    Foreigner: ya local?

And you can see how it goes from there.

But London and the south east it's not to hard to place the buggers :p
  • Anonymous
    me:excuse me
    foreigner : alright
    me:hey
    Foreigner: ya local?

And you can see how it goes from there.
    That's a good point. Isn't it weird how we always get asked if we're "locals"?
    The thought has never crossed my mind to ask that to someone if I'm on my travels.
  • Anonymous
    i like to do xc riding at trail centres and i like to keep my wheels on the ground for most of it.

im not particularly adventurous or brave but i much prefer going downwards than upwards and have no compunction about getting off for a good old fashioned push up slopes.

as a side note, i think all of the terms used in general such as trail, all mountain, agreesive xc are all the same thing. they are all xc.

terms like all mountain and trail are good ways of describing types of bike but dont really mean anything when used to describe riding.

i dont know why people, especially the youth, like to call their xc riding "agresive xc" i dont know what that is :?
  • Anonymous
    i dont know why people, especially the youth, like to call their xc riding "agresive xc" i dont know what that is :?
    It's basically what I do. It's riding around, as normal, but calling people cnuts and clumpets, and picking fights along the way.
  • Thewaylander
    It's basically what I do. It's riding around, as normal, but calling people cnuts and clumpets, and picking fights along the way.

Hell yeh, no idea why the young thing it's them who figured it, it's all us grumpy people pushing the limits see! :p
  • i dont know why people, especially the youth, like to call their xc riding "agresive xc" i dont know what that is :?

Phew thought i was the only one like that
    once whilst getting to a xc/ trail route on the main road had a young youth in a car wind his window down, and he shouted at me i was taking to much of the road up, i politely replied that if would like to stop and pull in i would be quite happy to drop the little *ucker
    there and then he declined my offer and sped off very quickly, i would of been happy to drop him because of my few years of kick boxing and ju jit su training :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    I ride fairly gentle singletrack and XC, mainly due to location rather than choice although given a tonking downhill course I would probably be looking for the chairlift down !!!
  • njee20
    But London and the south east it's not to hard to place the buggers

Totally agree, and had you said that I wouldn't have commented, but I felt like nitpicking as you specifically said Berkshire! I've lived in Surrey the vast majority of my life, but can't tell Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire/Sussex/Kent accents apart, clearly not talented enough!

Don't you live near Winchester Simon? You've got the South Downs on your doorstep!
  • Anonymous

this is what i assumed it to be.

i would probably describe my riding as mildcore xc or cheerful xc perhaps.
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    njee20 wrote:
    Don't you live near Winchester Simon? You've got the South Downs on your doorstep!

I live in Pompey mate, South Downs is my playground, aiming to do the entire South Downs Way in stages before doing it all in one day next June for British Heart Foundation.

I was making excuses as to why my biking is mainly gentle XC, not got the nuts for huge drops and mental downhill. My point is I like bombing gentle stuff, love single track, nice and tight between the trees and elbows clipping hedges.

South Downs is great though. Great scenery and testing stuff.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    I've lived in Surrey the vast majority of my life, but can't tell Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire/Sussex/Kent accents apart, clearly not talented enough!
    That's the funny thing about accents, they're noticed much more by people from other areas.
    Round here, people tell me they don't really "get" any Welsh accent on me, and assume I'm from somewhere in England. But some folk from other places immediately clock me as being from Bangor (provided they know of the place, obviously!)
  • I think my reply is which types DONT I do! MTB 4EVER
  • Anonymous
    I'm picking on Londoners, mostly as they are all we see on weekends in Wales, lots of rude Londoners going very slow on very expensive toys.
    Yep, that's us :D
    Haldon was never much cop in the first place!

Don't know really. I never got a chance to try it but the old black sounded good and the freeride with the helter skelter...

http://www.bikemagic.com/trail-news/hal ... /4750.html

Unfortunately damaged in a storm, so they pulled it all down, but then they started on the fairly reasonable red run and turned it into a pathetic family trail. Now they've built a pump track and skills area and apparently they're complete crap also.
    Isn't that like riding in Scotland?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Shockingly Scots are way cooler and friendlier than Welsh I have found.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    deadkenny wrote:
    Unfortunately damaged in a storm, so they pulled it all down, but then they started on the fairly reasonable red run and turned it into a pathetic family trail. Now they've built a pump track and skills area and apparently they're complete crap also.

Yep was up there last night, did the red run for the 3rd time in the last few months, TBH I don't like it, it seems to lack flow, just as you get going there is a awkward section to bring your speed right down, it seems they have done this on purpose to make it "safer", might just be me but other centres allow flow and speed with out interrupting it.

and the pump track us utter pish, the skills area is ok for a mess around for a little while but that’s it.

bit of a shame really as its ideal for me after work.

I know there is more up there but haven't had the chance to go searching for it.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    popstar wrote:
    Shockingly Scots are way cooler and friendlier than Welsh I have found.

it's cos they're drunk most of the time :wink::lol: