That miserable first hour

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
Up this morning. Dark, gray, drizzle and about 3oc.

Had to really convince myself to get out on the bike and spent the first 30mins miserable and trying to keep going.

By the time i reached the top the first big climb of the day the sun came out, the wind dropped and the 30 mile circuit I'd mentally set myself turned out to be a 60 mile ride at pace with some good challenging climbs in the campsie hills and a smile on my face at the end of it,

Should have packed more than a banana though as I was on the edge by the time I got home

Comments

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    That feeling when the sun comes out and you realise you were right make the effort to go out is so good isn't it? :)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Up this morning. Dark, gray, drizzle and about 3oc.

Had to really convince myself to get out on the bike and spent the first 30mins miserable and trying to keep going.

By the time i reached the top the first big climb of the day the sun came out, the wind dropped and the 30 mile circuit I'd mentally set myself turned out to be a 60 mile ride at pace with some good challenging climbs in the campsie hills and a smile on my face at the end of it,

Should have packed more than a banana though as I was on the edge by the time I got home
    Nice one, its great when you hang in there and don't bail out on a training session and make it through on will power. You,re a better man than me though, I definititly couldn't do 60 miles with just a banana unless I was riding at a sight seeing pace.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    'That miserable first hour' that's a great thread title, made me think.

When I was at full fitness during the summer, the first hour would be miserable, I never felt good until about a hour into rides. Now I've lost a bit of fitness and the first hour of the ride was pure joy, it was the other two hours today that were miserable. It's made me determined to get back to full fitness and get back that first hour misery feeling.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Up this morning after a late lie, nice cooked breakfast and took the dog a walk. Will run a few errands and be out on the bike by one or thereabouts for a couple of hours. Nice sunny day herewith light wind so not anticipating a miserable first hour.

However like you Chris my body seems to take 30-mins to 1 hour into a ride to get settled
  • yeah, i know what you mean. I was up at 6 this morning to get a 4hr ride in before work, dark when i set out but then rode through the most striking sun rise and it turned it to a gorgeous day.
    Didnt care for the cold either as it ment i could try out my new Assos winter jacket, which i mut say was amazing :D
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    This more than makes up for the times I have set off with the sun in between a cloud or two, only to darken and get a dirty headwind with a free shower to rub the salt in! :)