You know when you're hooked on cycling to work when.........

slog
slog Posts: 67
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
You see the road maintenance boys putting up the temporary traffic lights along a dodgy bit of your route and get so excited at the prospect of being "pothole free" for winter that you stop to personally thank them for a job well done!! I never thought it would get to this........

Comments

• seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    You know that finishing at 3am or later is certain.

You drive to work with the bike on a rack 2hrs before you are due to start, then cycle home, have a cup of coffee, cycle back to work and put the bike back on the rack.

That way I have dealt with the guilt of driving to work and back but also get to travel home in the car at 3am and have commuted both ways :D

My wife thinks this is insane, she is right because her mind is normal, colleagues also think it is insane, they are wrong however because I am the boss at work and can make their life hell and can steer them into blood, bone and faeces.

I may need to be assessed.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    seataltea wrote:

You drive to work with the bike on a rack 2hrs before you are due to start, then cycle home, have a cup of coffee, cycle back to work and put the bike back on the rack.

That way I have dealt with the guilt of driving to work and back but also get to travel home in the car at 3am and have commuted both ways :D

My wife thinks this is insane, she is right because her mind is normal, colleagues also think it is insane, they are wrong however because I am the boss at work and can make their life hell and can steer them into blood, bone and shoot.

Genius. Completely wrong in the head, but still genius!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Yes, genius! Deserves a medal and a damn fine psychiatrist.

(Weird how the excremental bit only got edited when it was copied as a quote)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    seataltea wrote:

couldn't you just cycle to work and back then drive in and leave the bike at home? you could even shower at home then.
    Hat + Beard
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    hatbeard.....just....gah!! you know? :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    When you wake up at 5 am and know you're the only one at work stupid enough to be riding a bike in below zero temperatures. Makes you feel good when your colleagues refer to you as "the mad one that rides his bike to work when its snowing".
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    You cycle in and find the showers have no hot water, and still cycle the next day even when you've been told it won't be fixed. In December.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm certainly not hooked on cycling to work, I prefer a nice heated van, Radio 4/XFM(as I see fit), and a Bacon & Egg McMuffin.

I will however, admire your dedication and give you a wide berth as I cruise on past. I'll aslo stay out of your cycle lanes and stop well short of the ASLs.

I also reserve the right to take advantage of the C2W scheme even though I won't be.

I'll be saving my energy for after work, when I pop down to Surrey where the grass is greener, the drivers politer and the gradients more testing.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Your girlfriend suggests moving to Whitstable, and you start seriously considering how many times a week you could do the 60 mile each way journey.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Your girlfriend suggests moving to Whitstable, and you start seriously considering how many times a week you could do the 60 mile each way journey.

Ooh, Whitstable's nice!
  • bigmat
    RichardSwt wrote:
    I'm certainly not hooked on cycling to work, I prefer a nice heated van, Radio 4/XFM(as I see fit), and a Bacon & Egg McMuffin.

I will however, admire your dedication and give you a wide berth as I cruise on past. I'll aslo stay out of your cycle lanes and stop well short of the ASLs.

I also reserve the right to take advantage of the C2W scheme even though I won't be.

I'll be saving my energy for after work, when I pop down to Surrey where the grass is greener, the drivers politer and the gradients more testing.

If only all van drivers were like you... :(
  • bigmat
    seataltea wrote:

My wife thinks this is insane, she is right because her mind is normal, colleagues also think it is insane, they are wrong however because I am the boss at work and can make their life hell and can steer them into blood, bone and faeces.

I don'r get it - why not just cycle home at 3am? Wuss!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Tonymufc wrote:
    When you wake up at 5 am and know you're the only one at work stupid enough to be riding a bike in below zero temperatures. Makes you feel good when your colleagues refer to you as "the mad one that rides his bike to work when its snowing".

Your glad when it turns cold as the summer cyclists will be gone from the bike racks and there will be less chance of someone knocking your bike over :roll:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    seataltea wrote:

I agree! :lol:
  • ...when you do a reconnaissance ride to a place where you know there's a vacancy before you actually apply for the job. Anyhow, smooth enough route, just under 8 miles there, that'll suit me fine! (Mostly downhill on the way back, too.)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Stop the press we have a new king of the nutters!
    Chapeau to youre weird dedication to the cause however I really hope you don't work in one of the vital services, like healthcare or the castelli design team ;-)

Nutteeeeeeeer
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • "Every morning, he jogs the forty-seven miles from his two-bedroomed, eight-bathroom, six-up-two-down, three-to-go-house in Ryegate, to the Government's Pesticide Research Centre at Shoreham. Nobody knows why.

Every morning at his little three-room semi near Reading Ken gets up at three o'dock (light goes on) and goes back to bed again because it's far too early."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TloAaokveM
    Souped-Up Trek Hybrid ( Clipless & Skinnies - FCN 6 )

Regularly humbled by the RP3LC, and the FG temptation is getting too much.
  • Your girlfriend suggests moving to Whitstable, and you start seriously considering how many times a week you could do the 60 mile each way journey.

There's a National Cycle Route that goes the whole way, mostly pretty much flat, follows the rivers for some decent stretches and there's some really lovely scenery along the way. On the down side - evil headwinds sometimes, the NCR route adds at least another 10 miles on top of the 60, and requires towpath-friendly tyres. Fortunately South Eastern trains are relatively bike-friendly off peak.
  • Tonymufc wrote:

This.

also that I have ridden my bike in a temperature range of 43 degrees C this year IN MANCHESTER -15 to +28.

and that I've got me some fleecy bib longs & studdy tyres now and am excited for the snow to start.
  • slog
    slog Posts: 67
    They've only got about 100 metres left to do now. I tested the route today, a 30 mile round trip of silky virgin tarmac. My wife couldn't understand why it couldn't wait till Monday, and why didn't I go somewhere different on my day off.....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    ....when you get ratty and irritable if you can't cycle in for a few days in a row. Cold turkey?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • You get up at 5am instead of 6am to cycle to the first stop your train makes which is 30 miles away through jet black country lanes and force yourself to ride faster by imaging what beasts must be lurking in the dark hedgerows and woods....
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm cycling to work today, and straight back! The Daughters Boyfriend wants to see if its viable for him, so we are cycling to his work today!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ...you get a new bike & your first ride is into work on a saturday 8)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    seataltea wrote:

You, sir, are not wired up correctly. I like that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    seataltea wrote:

You, sir, are not wired up correctly. I like that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    ....when you get ratty and irritable if you can't cycle in for a few days in a row. Cold turkey?

Sums me too.
    :D
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Sums me too.
    :D

Love the user name dude.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    you turn down free work dinner/drinks cos you want to ride home, and ride in again in the morning

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    seataltea wrote:

why not just get up, go for a long loop bike ride, have a shower and then jump in the car to work?