OT: Best johnny foreigner's to work with?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I never feel more of an ethnic minority than when at work. All my jobs have seen me work in head-office, with the Chief Executive, Directors and other senior managers, and I have literally been the only black person (which is a wonder as there are so many ethnic minorities working in the NHS).

So I spend less time defining what nationalities I enjoy and spend more of my time making sure that they (the majority) don't typecast/stereotype me.

It's not like the stereotypes applied to my ethnicity are particularly favorable... except the ones about our third leg...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I think it is the language barrier that can cause problems. By this I don't mean the fact that people speak different languages, but the provision that any one language has for "niceties".

I deal with Germans on a regular basis, and they are some of the kindest and most hospitable people I know, but they simply do not have our self-effacing linguistic ways.

You will never hear a German say "excuse me, I don't suppose I could trouble you to blah blah blah". They ask a direct question and are not offended by a direct answer. They are also then puzzled by our perception of them as "rude". The are just being "German". I like it that way. No "guess what I really mean" games.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Doubt it is racism as such, but it is its less nasty but equally frustrating bed fellow - the sweeping generalisation. An absolute must on a Friday!
  • linsen wrote:
    I think it is the language barrier that can cause problems. By this I don't mean the fact that people speak different languages, but the provision that any one language has for "niceties".

I deal with Germans on a regular basis, and they are some of the kindest and most hospitable people I know, but they simply do not have our self-effacing linguistic ways.

You will never hear a German say "excuse me, I don't suppose I could trouble you to blah blah blah". They ask a direct question and are not offended by a direct answer. They are also then puzzled by our perception of them as "rude". The are just being "German". I like it that way. No "guess what I really mean" games.

Absolutely spot on.

Also, when existing in a second language, people don't often learn the niceties, and miss out on some of the intricacies and idioms.

For example - an Italian lady I used to work with always used to sign emails off 'thanks a lot', which to me has always been a deeply sarcastic phrase meaning 'you've done nothing worth a thank-you and frankly I ought to wee on your shoes'. She meant 'thanks very much', of course. It still makes me chuckle.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Doubt it is racism as such, but it is its less nasty but equally frustrating bed fellow - the sweeping generalisation. An absolute must on a Friday!

Does it get tiring being so politically correct all the time? :P
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    New Zealanders - more fun and more laid back tha Aussies

Until you ask what part of Australia they come from. Never understood why Kiwis get so annoyed when you think they're Ozzy.

I asked one kiwi I worked with once, he likened it to me being mistaken for French. The difference is French and English speak different languages. Ozzys and Kiwis sound exactly the same, how are we supposed to tell the difference?

That's a poor comparison. Try asking a Scot which part of England he's from or a Canadian which part of the USA.

If you're from England/USA/Australia it's really hard to understand the problem... because you don't really see that there is one; after all, why would anyone be offended to be thought of as one of you?

This is, of course, part of the problem....

Cheers,
    W.

I'd say kiwis and ozzies sound (far) more similar than someone from glasgow compared to leeds. [tongueincheek] That and you often meet them in a bar so hearing is affected plus you've no doubt imbibed so brain is alread fuzzy. [/tongue]

Given I have no accent or it sounds english its always good when someone can actually tell I'm from scotland but I'm not the sort to take offence if they say otherwise. I've known some ozzies who weren't able to tell a kiwi wasn't from oz. Oz to kiwi I'd say (here we go) is comparable to some northern american accents and some canadians.

Anyway, game on. You might be interested to know its bizarrely (hiring wise) legally acceptible to be discrimatory based on country of origin/citizenship etc. So you can say no to a un naturalised person from pakistan but if they had a brother who had a uk passport you can't. Go figure.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:

Does it get tiring being so politically correct all the time? :P

Yes, so I change rapidly after a few ales - Mogwai to Gremlin.
  • DonDaddyD
    can actually tell I'm from scotland

:shock:

<Essex voice> Shudup <Essex voice>
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Anyway, game on. You might be interested to know its bizarrely (hiring wise) legally acceptible to be discrimatory based on country of origin/citizenship etc. So you can say no to a un naturalised person from pakistan but if they had a brother who had a uk passport you can't. Go figure.

You can't do that if they are an EU citizen. Though it still happens.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

Come on.... someone from Essex wouldn't say 'shudup'.... it'd be SHA' -ARP!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    RichardSwt wrote:
    New Zealanders - more fun and more laid back tha Aussies

Until you ask what part of Australia they come from. Never understood why Kiwis get so annoyed when you think they're Ozzy.

I asked one kiwi I worked with once, he likened it to me being mistaken for French. The difference is French and English speak different languages. Ozzys and Kiwis sound exactly the same, how are we supposed to tell the difference?

When I worked with French partners, they'd sometimes greet me in the morning with "ah, here's the English".
    When I pointed out that I was actually Irish, they apologised :-)

(those that persisted with the "English" greeting got treated to "Salut, les Belges" next day...and suddenly got the point!)
    Misguided Idealist
  • DonDaddyD
    edited October 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Come on.... someone from Essex wouldn't say 'shudup'.... it'd be SHA' -ARP!

:lol::lol::lol:

I love the Only way is Essex! Ms DDD can't stand it, cringes when I watch it. I been saying 'sha'-arp' for the past two weeks much to her fun filled annoyance.

She'll swear blind that she doesn't but she has friends (well, knows people) who are exactly like that... orange tan, boobs, heels and all.

Now she sees my point.

One thing I never understood, why would you tan your skin orange...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    linsen wrote:

If you think we're self effacing with our indirect questions, try the Japanese! One example is the Japanese will never say "no", the word "no" is inherently rude. I used to teach English there and you soon learn that you never, ever ask a class if they have understood an exercise or lesson point etc as they will always say "yes" even if they have no idea whatsoever what you are blithering about.

In Japan, to answer no reflects badly on the person asking the question making them lose face. For example as a teacher if I explain something to the class and ask if they have understood, it reflects badly on my ability to teach if they have to answer no and would make me feel bad, whereas as westerners our view is more along the lines of if you don't understand the teacher you must be a bit thick or something...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    When I worked with French partners, they'd sometimes greet me in the morning with "ah, here's the English".
    When I pointed out that I was actually Irish, they apologised :-)

As well they should.

I once asked a German fella which part of Germany he was from. Turns out he was from the region of Bavaria. Seems that he thought it was an important distinction.

Thought he was going to lamp me (or invade Poland or something)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter
    In my job I headhunt people of all colours, creeds and nationalities. Generally the French, Spanish, Italians and perhaps the Benelux-ers and Scandis are fantastic. Always helpful, love having a good old gossip about their careers, their colleagues, their peers at other banks etc. The Germans, Brits and Americans are generally less helpful and can be quite snotty on the phone....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:

One thing I never understood, why would you tan your skin orange...

I want to see you try this... really I do. :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you think we're self effacing with our indirect questions, try the Japanese! One example is the Japanese will never say "no", the word "no" is inherently rude. I used to teach English there and you soon learn that you never, ever ask a class if they have understood an exercise or lesson point etc as they will always say "yes" even if they have no idea whatsoever what you are blithering about.

JET?
  • Headhuunter
    notsoblue wrote:

JET?

NOVA then ECC! You?
  • gtvlusso wrote:

Very - true - got the monica ...

For a second, I thought you were making some reference to Monica from "Friends" (like there was perhaps a saying "taking the Monica") until I realised what you really meant was "moniker"! :wink:

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • I don't realy care, I'm paid to get on with people at work, doesn't always work but thats always personality than nationality.

Agree on the German directness, A mate that was always on the cadge would come up and say have you got two pounds for me' as if it was an expectation. fair play to him though, he could get by comfortably in 5 languages, I struggle with text speak.

Glasgow vs Leeds even Dubkin v Belfast ok, but Shrewsbury vs Wrexham or Edinburgh v Newcastle and can Aussies and Kiwis etc distinguish their regions and clearly between their countries better than brits? I bet a New Zealander cannot distinguish Gasgow and Leeds as clearly as a brit/eng/scot could?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Not liking people from a given country isn't racism.

It's Xenophobia.

Hatred of certain races is racism.

Nope, Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners, and foreign or strange things.

Racism is discrimination on grounds of race.

Yeah, fair enuff LIT, but you get my point. Someone was trying to say that not liking certain nationalities was racism.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Not liking people from a given country isn't racism.

It's Xenophobia.

Hatred of certain races is racism.

Nope, Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners, and foreign or strange things.

Racism is discrimination on grounds of race.

Yeah, fair enuff LIT, but you get my point. Someone was trying to say that not liking certain nationalities was racism.....

Umm. It is, kinda. Assuming that the country in question is mostly populated by an ethnic generality.

............but anyone on here denying some level of predjudice (in any direction) is in real denial.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Hmmmm, I don't think it's really racism - working with different cultures is an important part of international business.

trying not to open a can of worms here but...

If I were to say: women can be tricky to work with as they talk about riding the cotton pony or have nice long holidays with babies. Not all of them, some are amazing to work with etc.

That wouldn't be sexist?

Not in my book, but that's my book. Others may disagree.

Maybe it's that I'm not a girly girl, but I generally find women more difficult to work with than men. My current boss is an exception, but she and I have decided we are in fact the same person.

Although, I should add, I have no idea what 'riding the cotton pony' means.

I've worked with almost all male places and all women places and I'd say I prefer working with woman.

yes to quote dinner ladies

" I quite like women in a sad, baffled sort of way! But can we get a grip? Out of a workforce of five, at any given moment one will have pre-menstrual tension, one's panicking because she's not, someone's having a hot flush and someone else is having a nervous breakdown because her HRT patch has fallen in the minestrone!"

I work in care so don't tend to be coy, after all there is nothing we don't wipe up! no cotton pony etc. should see the space in the pub we get on works night!

don't have to deal with many different nationalities but as I do work in folks homes as well, people are just different what matters to them can be radically different.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    It is all to do with cultural mores, so racism doesn't count. I always found the Welsh a bit tricky, I'm Welsh myself, but if you are looking for a 24carat ar*ehole the English will oblige every time.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I never feel more of an ethnic minority than when at work. All my jobs have seen me work in head-office, with the Chief Executive, Directors and other senior managers, and I have literally been the only black person (which is a wonder as there are so many ethnic minorities working in the NHS).

So I spend less time defining what nationalities I enjoy and spend more of my time making sure that they (the majority) don't typecast/stereotype me.

It's not like the stereotypes applied to my ethnicity are particularly favorable... except the ones about our third leg...

So that's why you are all such fast runners!!!!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    NEVER work with Indians, there target achievement culture is, 'not quite good enough' is 'good enough' (witness the Delhi games), they NEVER have timing plans, never kjnow where they are to any plan, and make up ways of achieving goals that no-one else would accept.

As a People they are great, friendly, warm, accomodating, to work with (I work for an Indian owned UK subsiduary) they are a nightmare!

Norwegians - you can't work with them, as (based on our Norwegain partners on a project) they don't actully work! Roll in 1 hour after start time, have a coffee, sit at desk for 45 minutes, have another, desk for 20 minutes, 2 hour lunch, 45 minutes at desk then coffee and discuss what they are doing after work, then go home about 30mins before nominal finish time, this despite being seriously behind on their delivery dates such that we would be doing 18 hour days!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I rather like Norwegians (and Scans in general). The Swedes can be a little uptight at times, but compared to the German Swiss I work for unbelievably laid back.

Q How to you make a German Swiss?
    A Take a northern German and poke a second broomstick up their ar$e

:D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    I rather like Norwegians (and Scans in general). The Swedes can be a little uptight at times, but compared to the German Swiss I work for unbelievably laid back.

Q How to you make a German Swiss?
    A Take a northern German and poke a second broomstick up their ar$e

:D

Awwww I don't know why the Schweizerdeutsch (pron. Shweetzerdootsch) get such a bad rap - I know loads of lovely ones! Maybe that's because I was always just snowboarding there rather than doing business...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Ozzys and Kiwis sound exactly the same, how are we supposed to tell the difference?

They sound their vowels differently. For example, "trip": an Aussie might sound like he's saying "treep", whereas a Kiwi might sound like he's saying "trup". "Six" sounds like "seex" and "sux" respectively.

@Fireblade - as a Welshman, :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    See also various Flight of the Conchords sketches.

"Maybe he's dead!"

"Maybe he did, what?"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition