OT: Best johnny foreigner's to work with?

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Ugh - busy week:

So far this week, I have had to deal with critical issues from:

Americans
Philippinos
Germans
Austrians
Canadians
Indians

But who are the easiest to work with? Your thoughts?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ugh - busy week:

Americans
    Philippinos
    Germans
    Austrians
    Canadians
    Indians

Best: The Dutch.
    Worst: South Africans.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    ahh, a spot of casual racism for a Friday morning...
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    notsoblue wrote:

interesting statement given the demographics

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oi, I am a Johnny Foreigner, ye who styleth yourself after an Italian car.....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    CXXC wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

interesting statement given the demographics

Yeah, kinda tongue in cheek there.
  • gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:

Very - true - got the monica trying to sell said gtv lusso (used the name as an e-mail address for the sales pitch of said car - it stuck!) -

I am Johnny Foreigner myself - being Irish, @drays, don't really see the racism? Just asking a question about who is easiest to work with....IYHO?

Of course, I will always say The Irish are easiest to work with!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    drays wrote:

^
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    gtvlusso wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Very - true - got the monica trying to sell said gtv lusso (used the name as an e-mail address for the sales pitch of said car - it stuck!) -

I am Johnny Foreigner myself - being Irish, @drays, don't really see the racism? Just asking a question about who is easiest to work with....IYHO?

Of course, I will always say The Irish are easiest to work with!

Ha, I'm a half Estonian, half English, US resident alien living in Wales. Technically I think that makes me a minority of one. I could play the racist card over buying a cup of coffee (is it cos I is black?)

As it happens I'm working with an Irishman right now, loud fecker he is too.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited October 2010
    Hmmmm, I don't think it's really racism - working with different cultures is an important part of international business.

Stereotypes do exist, and you shouldn't tar everyone from Italy with the 'workshy' brush, for example, but they don't come from nowhere, and avoiding them for fear of being racist is just a bit silly. I'm sure you've all heard about 'This is Essex'? Well, not everyone from Essex is like that, but there's certainly a higher-than-average concentration.

I personally like working with Americans, they go at the same frantic pace as I'm used to, whereas I find the more relaxed approach taken by Italians very frustrating. The dutch are very chilled and quite unflappable, but this, while pleasant, can also be frustrating. The French are good too, although they occasionally annoy me... mostly by saying 'bien de faire votre connaissance' or similar to my male colleagues, and 'enchanté' to me!

I should be flattered, I'm sure, but I'm generally in charge!

Oh and the Finns! I LOVE them - they're brilliant! They're always so chipper, and once you understand their funny little ways they're absolutely fantastic to work with!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ugh - busy week:

Americans
    Philippinos
    Germans
    Austrians
    Canadians
    Indians

The most difficult to deal with are those chaps from Bristol

The thick accent, the dope smoking, the liking of obscure musical styles. A big problem
  • drays
    gtvlusso wrote:

Fair play! Probably the Aussies.
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited October 2010
    My chum over in the Project Office over the other end of the building. Indian [say it in the style of the Goodnes Gracious Me team], and quite divine she is too.

:D
  • drays
    CiB wrote:
    My chum over in the Project Office over the other end of the building. Indian say it [in the style of the Goodnes Gracious Me team], and quite divine she is too.

2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ...and nobody mentions the Japanese? Every single fax/email "TOP URGENT!!! TOP URGENT!! you must sell us (insert product here)." "But we don't sell that product." "TOP TOP URGENT!! you must sell us (insert same product here)." "But we don't sell that product", at which point it get repeated until my head explodes.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Clever Pun
    BiggerBoat wrote:
    ...and nobody mentions the Japanese? Every single fax/email "TOP URGENT!!! TOP URGENT!! you must sell us (insert product here)." "But we don't sell that product." "TOP TOP URGENT!! you must sell us (insert same product here)." "But we don't sell that product", at which point it get repeated until my head explodes.

Goldman Sachs are far worse.. I think they've invented new levels of super double urgent
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm sure you've all heard about 'This is Essex'? Well, not everyone from Essex is like that, but there's certainly a higher-than-average concentration.

Yes you are!

I've seen the Facebook weekend photo's. Fake bewbs, lippy, high heels, glitter on the chest, fake 'summer orange' tan. Going to Faces Night Club and hanging out in Loughton.

Anyway back to the thread....

I don't like Indians, South Africans, South Americans and Australians. Is Gay a race? Americans think it is, don't like them either. I can stomach English people but only because I've lived with you for so long. I love the Irish though. Polish so so, the woman are fit. Female southern Irish accent = bom chika wah wah.

Edit... OH you mean who you don't like dealing with at work... I like everyone, I'm paid to work with everyone. :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Hmmmm, I don't think it's really racism - working with different cultures is an important part of international business.

trying not to open a can of worms here but...

If I were to say: women can be tricky to work with as they talk about riding the cotton pony or have nice long holidays with babies. Not all of them, some are amazing to work with etc.

That wouldn't be sexist?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm sure you've all heard about 'This is Essex'? Well, not everyone from Essex is like that, but there's certainly a higher-than-average concentration.

Yes you are!

I've seen the Facebook weekend photo's. Fake bewbs, lippy, high heels, glitter on the chest, fake 'summer orange' tan. Going to Faces Night Club and hanging out in Loughton.

Anyway back to the thread....

I don't like Indians, South Africans, South Americans and Australians. Is Gay a race? Americans think it is, don't like them either. I can stomach English people but only because I've lived with you for so long. I love the Irish though. Polish so so, the woman are fit. Female southern Irish accent = bom chika wah wah.

Edit... OH you mean who you don't like dealing with at work... I like everyone, I'm paid to work with everyone. :lol::lol::lol:

LMAO :-) :-)

@LiT - yes, I love the Finns, work for a Finnish company - they have such a dark sense of humour!
  • drays wrote:

It's not racism as it's not based on race. Those are nationalities that could be of various races. Unless, of course, you assume all English and Irish are white, all Philipinos and Indians are asian etc. I'm not sure what it is....nationalism doesn't sound right.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • drays
    drays wrote:

It's not racism as it's not based on race. Those are nationalities that could be of various races. Unless, of course, you assume all English and Irish are white, all Philipinos and Indians are asian etc. I'm not sure what it is....nationalism doesn't sound right.

Meh :)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    ...once you understand their funny little ways they're absolutely fantastic to work with!

I find this is usually true... it's the understanding their funny little ways that is the hard part.

Americans usually tell you that a project can be done - even if it cannot. They often feel a bit left out as they don't come down the pub at lunchtime.
    The French pretend they don't really care whether a project gets done- but then get on and do it. They always come down the pub at lunchtime.
    The Germans let you know that the project is important, that they are fully in control of the situation, and provide regular status. They too come down the pub at lunchtime.
    The Italians tell you they have already finished the project, which is why they are free to come down the pub at lunchtime.
    The Indians usually tell you they can do the project... but won't tell you how it is going, and they won't ask for help.
    The Japanese usually say 'yes' to mean 'yes' as well as 'maybe'... while 'maybe' means a definite 'no'. I suspect that the Japanese have no word for 'no' to avoid giving offence. This can make it diffiult to find out what is going on.
    The English and Australians are usually fine, unless there is a cricket match on - then whoever is winning spends all day highlighting the latest score.

I'm not sure I have any broad brush stereotypes for the Dutch and Scandinavians, but I have always found them great fun to work with.

Life would be very dull indeed if we were all the same.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Not liking people from a given country isn't racism.

It's Xenophobia.

Hatred of certain races is racism.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    New Zealanders - more fun and more laid back tha Aussies

Canadians - steak and egg breakfasts but beware of the folk music :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Until you ask what part of Australia they come from. Never understood why Kiwis get so annoyed when you think they're Ozzy.

I asked one kiwi I worked with once, he likened it to me being mistaken for French. The difference is French and English speak different languages. Ozzys and Kiwis sound exactly the same, how are we supposed to tell the difference?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Oh and the Finns! I LOVE them - they're brilliant! They're always so chipper, and once you understand their funny little ways they're absolutely fantastic to work with!

Is that a nationality you are referring to or a new type of small furry pet?

Some of the Polish contractors I work with have a work ethic bordering on insanity. One in particular works crazy hours (7am start 6pm finish or later if working to a deadline, 7 days a week) and seems to survive entirely on coffee, Red Bull and cigarettes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun wrote:

trying not to open a can of worms here but...

If I were to say: women can be tricky to work with as they talk about riding the cotton pony or have nice long holidays with babies. Not all of them, some are amazing to work with etc.

That wouldn't be sexist?

Not in my book, but that's my book. Others may disagree.

Maybe it's that I'm not a girly girl, but I generally find women more difficult to work with than men. My current boss is an exception, but she and I have decided we are in fact the same person.

Although, I should add, I have no idea what 'riding the cotton pony' means.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    RichardSwt wrote:

Until you ask what part of Australia they come from. Never understood why Kiwis get so annoyed when you think they're Ozzy.

I asked one kiwi I worked with once, he likened it to me being mistaken for French. The difference is French and English speak different languages. Ozzys and Kiwis sound exactly the same, how are we supposed to tell the difference?

That's a poor comparison. Try asking a Scot which part of England he's from or a Canadian which part of the USA.

If you're from England/USA/Australia it's really hard to understand the problem... because you don't really see that there is one; after all, why would anyone be offended to be thought of as one of you?

This is, of course, part of the problem....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273

Really?

How about:

Got the painter's in
    Rag Week
    On the blob
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01 wrote:

Really?

How about:

Got the painter's in
    Rag Week
    On the blob

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • BigJimmyB wrote:
    Not liking people from a given country isn't racism.

It's Xenophobia.

Hatred of certain races is racism.

Nope, Xenophobia is a fear of foreigners, and foreign or strange things.

Racism is discrimination on grounds of race.