The Dun Run

2»

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2010
    Cafewanda wrote:
    You've got the timescale. Work one or other option into your budget somehow.

If only it was simply a case of budget :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I've done the route three weeks back with some fellow FNRttC regulars- set off at midnight on Saturday morning (OK, nearer one, my train was late), which worked out really well. A great time was had by all. Part of me wishes I hadn't done it (I had a pimple on my thigh, constant pain the result), but I told that part to shut up! TBH the idea of doing the 'real thing' is not that appealing in some respects- the congestion etc partly, though more the bother of getting back home afterwards- but I could be tempted....
    If anyone fancies joining another midnight run, there's likely to be another one beforehand, plenty of people on YACF & CC expressed an interest and then bailed because the weather forecast looked awful. In the end, only four of us did it & the weather was perfect for it.

Edit: For those who'd like a gentle introduction to night group rides, try this
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cheers for the info Stuaff.

Must do one of those next year.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    StuAff wrote:
    I've done the route three weeks back with some fellow FNRttC regulars- set off at midnight on Saturday morning (OK, nearer one, my train was late), which worked out really well. A great time was had by all. Part of me wishes I hadn't done it (I had a pimple on my thigh, constant pain the result), but I told that part to shut up! TBH the idea of doing the 'real thing' is not that appealing in some respects- the congestion etc partly, though more the bother of getting back home afterwards- but I could be tempted....
    If anyone fancies joining another midnight run, there's likely to be another one beforehand, plenty of people on YACF & CC expressed an interest and then bailed because the weather forecast looked awful. In the end, only four of us did it & the weather was perfect for it.

Edit: For those who'd like a gentle introduction to night group rides, try this

I really am keen to do a few of these rides actually - although i might wait til it's a bit less brass monkeys out. Personally though, the sheer number of people doing the DD is part of the reason it was so great. It never gets congested to the point of slowing you down (takes a while to get a beer in some of the pubs, but i can cope with that) and being in the @rse end of nowhere and being able to see bikes stretching out in front of and behind you is magical :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    To answer your original question
    I'd like to do this one year, but I live in Devon
    The logical thing to do* is to ride up and visit my mates in Dorking on the way
    However, whatever way I do it, it's finding the time. I have to get to London and back as well as doing the ride

* logical if you are a member of AUK and a PBP Ancien
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    It's very frustrating riding fixed when everyone around you is geared

Them (coasting) "ahhhh these downhills are so nice"
    Me (legs going at 140rpm) "AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Just go all SciFi and pretend that it is 1895 instead of 1890 and fit a freewheel.

You might enjoy it
  • StuAff wrote:
    TBH the idea of doing the 'real thing' is not that appealing in some respects- the congestion etc partly, though more the bother of getting back home afterwards- but I could be tempted....

You may be surprised to learn that there is very little congestion. The ride spreads out pretty well - helped by the hour long starting time. Once you're past Epping forest it's possible to have long stretches where you don;t see a single other cyclist - or maybe just flickering red lights far off in the distance.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:
    TBH the idea of doing the 'real thing' is not that appealing in some respects- the congestion etc partly, though more the bother of getting back home afterwards- but I could be tempted....

You may be surprised to learn that there is very little congestion. The ride spreads out pretty well - helped by the hour long starting time. Once you're past Epping forest it's possible to have long stretches where you don;t see a single other cyclist - or maybe just flickering red lights far off in the distance.

Thanks EB (& Alphabet), good to know.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • I'm keen to do the Dun Run this year but somewhat put off by the thought of waiting hours and hours for a coach home - fine if it's a nice day, but not if it's rained all night. The LFGSS lot certainly have it sorted.

Anyone else found any good non-coach routes home? The extra 30 miles to Ipswich doesn't seem too appealing...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm sure there are enough people on here to get together and hire a minibus and van.
    Minibus for the bikers, van for the bikes.

You'd also need to hire two drivers and pay for fuel, but it probably wouldn't work out to be too expensive (~£30 each off the top of my head).

Either do that, or ride slower so that the wait on the beach for the coach is shorter.

If I remember correctly, the LFGSS coach left about one hour before the other coaches, not that much longer to wait really (unless its cold and wet).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • You shouldn't be put off by the wait on the beach - it's the best part IMO. Especially if the sun's out - which it usually is. Only once in last 6 years did it rain solid at the beach - I spent the time drinking coffee and sitting in the cafe - then the pub opens at 11.00.

And just cos its raining it doesn;t stop you from having a dip in the sea.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Turn around, cycle home, that's my thinking for next year.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You shouldn't go swimming when its raining, you might get wet!

On a more scary note, the nuclear power station down the coast is a little off putting (I still swam though)!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You shouldn't go swimming when its raining, you might get wet!

On a more scary note, the nuclear power station down the coast is a little off putting (I still swam though)!
    I haven't noticed any two headed or strangely glowing cyclists going home on the coaches yet. :wink:
  • georgee wrote:
    Turn around, cycle home, that's my thinking for next year.

I usually cycle home - though I take 2 or 3 days to do it.

I'm 43 you know!!! :oops:
  • You shouldn't be put off by the wait on the beach - it's the best part IMO. Especially if the sun's out - which it usually is. Only once in last 6 years did it rain solid at the beach - I spent the time drinking coffee and sitting in the cafe - then the pub opens at 11.00.

I am sure you are right. I had a picture in my head of sitting on a wet, stony beach - sore and cold - with 1000 other cyclists. :(

We should do a thread on other night runs - I'd really like to see a list of all of them. I am quite tempted by the Dorset Dash: http://www.dorsetdash.co.uk/