The Dun Run

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Just got to thinking about this again after a couple of the threads below. I know it's a bit previous, but who's doing it next year? I am determined to do the whole thing fixed (although the freewheel will ony be a 15mm spanner and a wheel turn away, just in case...)

I meant to post these up here after this year's but don't think i ever got round to it.
write up:

video
write up

also featuring WesternWay and EKE_38BPM

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I assume....from looking at the full moon cycles... that the next one will be on the weekend of July 16th/17th 2011

The date isn't announced on the Southwark Cyclists official page, that's how previous you are
  • Alphabet
    vorsprung wrote:
    I assume....from looking at the full moon cycles... that the next one will be on the weekend of July 16th/17th 2011

The date isn't announced on the Southwark Cyclists official page, that's how previous you are

http://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/dunwich.html
    Dunwich Dynamo XIX
    16/17 July 2011

:D
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Alphabet wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

http://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/dunwich.html

Aggghhh my eyes...my eyes 8)
    Once I'd put on sunglasses I was pleased to see that my guess of the date was right
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Me!

This assumes I will have done some mileage in prep for it.
  • Alphabet
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Me!

nah, that's cheating.
  • Cafewanda
    Alphabet wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Me!

nah, that's cheating.

:lol:

I'll expect you or EKE to pull me along if/when my legs give out then :)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Dunno if i'll do it again, and seriously dunno if i'll do it fixed again.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Cafewanda
    You've got to do it. Alpha/EKE will get fed up pulling me along :lol:
  • Oddjob62
    I'll do it fixed if you and EKE do it fixed as well :wink:
  • Cafewanda
    :shock: You dislike me that much? :shock:

I'm too old.
    Knees are knackered
    Anything vaguely resembling a 'hill' and I'm walking

:P
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ohh the weekend is away from the better half birthday I could be available for this... if the weather isn't grim
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I'm certainly looking to do it if I am around. Toying with doing it fixed as that seems to be the done thing but a) have yet to do more than my 7 mile commute fixed and b) have no SS bail out option.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    This looks like a great ride. I might come up with a couple of mates from down here and do it. It'll be almost exactly a month after I hope to complete a LEJOG ride so I should have the legs for it :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Oddjob62
    It's very frustrating riding fixed when everyone around you is geared

Them (coasting) "ahhhh these downhills are so nice"
    Me (legs going at 140rpm) "AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"
  • Cafewanda
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    It's very frustrating riding fixed when everyone around you is geared

Them (coasting) "ahhhh these downhills are so nice"
    Me (legs going at 140rpm) "AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Yeah, but you got the legs for it! :wink::)
  • Oddjob62
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Yeah, but you got the legs for it! :wink::)

Nah i've got the legs for 30 seconds of sprinting. Anything past 30miles and i hurt badly :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Boy Alphabet, you're keen.
    I suppose that currently the nights are long and the mornings are cold, so memories of cycling through a short night that was probably warmer than the days currently are act to keep the fire in the belly to keep you warm on a cold commute.

I'm up for it next year. Can't see me doing it fixed though.
    I saw OddJob when we were collecting the bikes in Farringdon. He did not look like a happy henchman, more like an advert for the freewheel.

CW (and others) its a long, fun ride. I think next year I may make a few less pub stops, but I do think carrying a Red Stripe the whole way was a great idea. That beer really hit the spot after ~120 miles.
    The fun of the dip in the North Sea was kinda tainted by seeing a nuclear power station a few miles down the coast, but it did help soothe sore muscles.

I must admit that I now think of a full moon as a cyclist's moon, not a hunter's moon.

CW, that Guiness I owe you will be bought on the Dun Run. Hows that for incentivisation?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    We had a thread about this just after the event - Here it is

I enjoyed the build up, the pre-match tension when it becomes clear that people are setting off, the first few miles riding through dodgy bits of North London in a peleton, and the way that London gives way to the more rural bits of Essex before it becomes an full-on LED extravaganza. Huge fun.

I'm 50-50 about doing it again, just because fo the logistics of getting from up here (Bicester) to Hackney, and then from Dunwich back across to here again. Like I said in the other thread, pitching up on the beach at 5:15 was fantastic; having a 5½ hour wait to be collected wasn't. Ask me again in July. It'll be a yes I expect.
  • Alphabet
    we could just do what lfgss did this year and hire a man with a van to tail us with cups of tea and bacon sarnies and then drive us back again.
  • Cafewanda
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Boy Alphabet, you're keen.
    I suppose that currently the nights are long and the mornings are cold, so memories of cycling through a short night that was probably warmer than the days currently are act to keep the fire in the belly to keep you warm on a cold commute.

I'm up for it next year. Can't see me doing it fixed though.
    I saw OddJob when we were collecting the bikes in Farringdon. He did not look like a happy henchman, more like an advert for the freewheel.

CW (and others) its a long, fun ride. I think next year I may make a few less pub stops, but I do think carrying a Red Stripe the whole way was a great idea. That beer really hit the spot after ~120 miles.
    The fun of the dip in the North Sea was kinda tainted by seeing a nuclear power station a few miles down the coast, but it did help soothe sore muscles.

I must admit that I now think of a full moon as a cyclist's moon, not a hunter's moon.

CW, that Guiness I owe you will be bought on the Dun Run. Hows that for incentivisation?

Deal! :lol:

OddJob - do it geared then. Wouldn't want you unhappy or in too much pain :)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    I'll do it fixed if you and EKE do it fixed as well :wink:

I was considering doing it on my Brompton. This would though involve moving my Brompton from under my desk and mending it.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

CW (and others) its a long, fun ride. I think next year I may make a few less pub stops

See I think that I made one or possibly two too few pub stops.

Stopping INSIDE the M25 for the first pub stop was definitely an act of genius though.
  • Alphabet
    WesternWay wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

CW (and others) its a long, fun ride. I think next year I may make a few less pub stops

See I think that I made one or possibly two too few pub stops.

Stopping INSIDE the M25 for the first pub stop was definitely an act of genius though.

Next time let's see how many pubs we can stop at.
  • EKE_38BPM
    One good thing about stopping at many pubs is you get to Dunwich so late you don't have to wait too long for the coach home.

We arrived, chilled for a bit, went for a dip, dried off and chilled for a bit, had a nap, got some grub, put the bikes on the truck, got onto the coach and that was it. About 3 hours of hanging around. Some people got there really early and had to wait ages. That'll teach them for not stopping at the pubs!

• I'll be doing it next year - I've booked my leave already though I may not even have a job by then.

I've done it every year since 2005 except this year - bad things happened to me and my bike through June and July this year. :cry:

But I love everything about it expect maybe the last 10/15 miles. I've never stopped at pubs - I know I'd lose the will to go on if I had too much alcohol before the ride.

Usually make my own way home afterwards over the next couple of days, either camping or youth hostelling on the Sunday night. If it's nice weather quite like the wait on the beach - have a bit of a snooze, then cooked breakfast, then beer, in that order.

If it's raining I head straight for the youth hostel - then the pub. :lol:
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • EKE_38BPM
    For some reason the video link takes me to my Facebook home page and thats it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nice write up Alphabet.
    As you said, some people take loads of stuff, some people are much more minimalist in their approach. I took a fair amount of stuff and the only things I didn't use are the ones I never want to: multitool and first-aid kit.

• Oddjob62
    Cafewanda wrote:

I will if i can arrange some other form of return transport, or buy a cheaper geared bike. No way I would risk Joelle with the DunRun lorries.
  • I keep trying to do this, and every year it's on a weekend that I can't manage for whatever reason.

That weekend has no prior commitments at the moment... which is a good thing!
  • Cafewanda
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

I will if i can arrange some other form of return transport, or buy a cheaper geared bike. No way I would risk Joelle with the DunRun lorries.

You've got the timescale. Work one or other option into your budget somehow.

So. We've potentially got a Dun Run BR Commuting group? 8)