So, Marmotte 2011...

2»

Comments

• UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207
    georgee wrote:
    Each Climb on the Marmotte is 1 hours at max effort, try 3 laps at max effort as long as long constant rides, you've no hope of finding similar riding unless you have a jolly to Majorca in May as prep.

Mountains are very different to the very very flat richmond park. Trust me on this.

climbing on a bike is very very different to riding at high intensity on the flat. Different muscle groups, different areas of discomfort.

If you can't afford the time / money to nip over somewhere to find your hill legs, at the least you'll need to do reps of a surrey "hill"

Leith Hill ain't too bad - say do 10-15 climbs in a row at a sustainable pace.

Hill intervals if you will.

You could even use the mighty Col De La Boite. Ahem.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    UpTheWall wrote:
    georgee wrote:
    Each Climb on the Marmotte is 1 hours at max effort, try 3 laps at max effort as long as long constant rides, you've no hope of finding similar riding unless you have a jolly to Majorca in May as prep.

Mountains are very different to the very very flat richmond park. Trust me on this.

climbing on a bike is very very different to riding at high intensity on the flat. Different muscle groups, different areas of discomfort.

If you can't afford the time / money to nip over somewhere to find your hill legs, at the least you'll need to do reps of a surrey "hill"

Leith Hill ain't too bad - say do 10-15 climbs in a row at a sustainable pace.

Hill intervals if you will.

You could even use the mighty Col De La Boite. Ahem.

I kind of agree with this tbh. I've done most of the climbs of the Marmotte route, some of which I did last year and i did most of my training for it around the Surrey hills. Obviously they are completely different climbs in the sense that SH's are short and sharp and the Alps are mostly long grinds of an hour+.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ok, here's my 2p worth :) :

Did Marmotte this year and did ok. My training included zero rides in the Surrey Hills, with the exception of the Surrey Rumble in March. I also did the Magnificat in June, but the rest of my training was made up of the commute, laps of RP at a good intensity and some turbo sessions.

My rides in RP are more intense than the Surrey Hills rides because you don't have the number of stopping points. I live 0.5 miles from RP, whereas the Surrey Hills are an hour's ride away.

I'd do longer rides next year, but since we don't have the hills here you'll encounter on the Marmotte, I took the view that it's about replicating the intensity as much as possible (as georgee points out). RP helped enormously here. I'll do more rides in the Hills next year, but that's to get longer rides under my belt.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Yup. Officially tempted and currently debating getting a coach so that I don't over / under train and that I can actually finish the blighter without too many swear words / tears / other dramas.

My b/f is taking the challenge a step further and is keen on doing the full whammy of the Grande Trophee (Vaujany, Prix des Rousses, Marmotte and then a time trial up the Alpe on the Sunday). I think he's welcome to it.

LL - given your beloved's script, I don't see how you can do ther than give yours a go. I can help you build a reserve of swear words if you like :)

thanks CW. I think with 10+ hours to kill I may need a VERY wide range to work from!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Ok, here's my 2p worth :) :

Did Marmotte this year and did ok. My training included zero rides in the Surrey Hills, with the exception of the Surrey Rumble in March. I also did the Magnificat in June, but the rest of my training was made up of the commute, laps of RP at a good intensity and some turbo sessions.

My rides in RP are more intense than the Surrey Hills rides because you don't have the number of stopping points. I live 0.5 miles from RP, whereas the Surrey Hills are an hour's ride away.

I'd do longer rides next year, but since we don't have the hills here you'll encounter on the Marmotte, I took the view that it's about replicating the intensity as much as possible (as georgee points out). RP helped enormously here. I'll do more rides in the Hills next year, but that's to get longer rides under my belt.
    ^ What he says.

Interesting article from JamesB extolling the virtues of hour long TTs:
    http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/coaching4.shtml
    He did 7:15* at this year's marmotte :shock:

* including the glandon descent
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Yeah, that is an interesting article and with the caveat that you also need to train your body to be in the saddle for long periods of time, I'm on board with it. I'm also thinking about the Marmotte this year - the Etapes this year don't really appeal. My weekly prep for this year's Etape (first time - 3400th or so finisher out of 10,000 starters) was basically two one-hour hard Richmond Park or club ride sessions and one (increasingly) longer ride at the weekends. The former prepares you for the individual climbs; the latter for the whole day. I also found that variety helped, so when the routine got boring I'd chuck in a 4th Cat criterium, a mountain bike ride, a turbo session, a run or even (god forbid), a swim. Not particularly structured I guess but personally, 6 months' training just for one day in July feels like overkill - it's supposed to be fun on the way isn't it? I also found joining a cycling club (Twickenham CC in my case) helped enormously. I am conscious that the Marmotte looks like a step up from this year's Etape so I might also chuck in some proper time trials as well this year. This, of course, is all subject to agreement with Logistics, with whom I have yet to find a good time to discuss...
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    stop it, stop it!

I'm getting seriously tempted, especially as I can't do the Etape coz it's slightly too late in July.

(How long have you got before the broom wagon sweeps you up?)
  • cjcp
    Big Wib wrote:
    stop it, stop it!

I'm getting seriously tempted, especially as I can't do the Etape coz it's slightly too late in July.

(How long have you got before the broom wagon sweeps you up?)

See you in July then :wink:

Don't even think about the broom wagon.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Yup. Officially tempted and currently debating getting a coach so that I don't over / under train and that I can actually finish the blighter without too many swear words / tears / other dramas.

My b/f is taking the challenge a step further and is keen on doing the full whammy of the Grande Trophee (Vaujany, Prix des Rousses, Marmotte and then a time trial up the Alpe on the Sunday). I think he's welcome to it.

LL - given your beloved's script, I don't see how you can do ther than give yours a go. I can help you build a reserve of swear words if you like :)

thanks CW. I think with 10+ hours to kill I may need a VERY wide range to work from!

We'll get started at the Christmas social then :)

The below is taken from the BR home page:

Sometimes, doing the wrong thing can have positive repercussions.

1 Start cursing

Next time your muscles are on fire as you power up a killer climb, have a go at effing and blinding to see if it helps – a study from Keele University has suggested that swearing ups your pain threshold.

Sixty-four participants were asked to submerge their hands in icy water for as long as possible while using curses of their choice. The test was then repeated without swearing. People could spend an extra 40 seconds in the water on average and said the pain was dulled when they swore.

This is believed to be because of the fight or flight trigger – swearing increases your aggression and masochism, making you more able to push yourself and less willing to give up.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Time to throw my hat into the ring, I'll be doing the Vaujany, Prix des Rousses and the Marmotte. LL I've just signed up for some coaching with PBScience who seem very good. They have a specific Etape plan so may have a predetermined plan for the Marmotte
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    itboffin wrote:
    Looks like the etape for me ;-)

You do know there are 2 this year.

I'd love to do the Alp D'huez (sp?) Etape, however cash is tight and the wife insists on feeding the kids *every* day
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes I do but I'm also planning two Alps ride with various friends from here and one with work fiends next year, plus I'd like to do one of the cobbles sportives.

Starting training for the cobbles today, damn that was hard work - more tired after 6 miles than I would be after 60. I was too afraid to even look at the HR data :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes I do but I'm also planning two Alps ride with various friends from here and one with work fiends next year, plus I'd like to do one of the cobbles sportives.

I'd heard talk of a P-R the day before the Pro Race next year. Best check that though.
    Starting training for the cobbles today, damn that was hard work - more tired after 6 miles than I would be after 60. I was too afraid to even look at the HR data :?

My HR was 170-odd when only oding 13mph on a slight incline in Flanders. :o

Have a wander down to Wapping High St when you get the chance - just by me.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'd heard talk of a P-R the day before the Pro Race next year. Best check that though.

I have a 1/4 mile section of proper cobbles right by my house, one of the local farmer has chosen a little bit of Flanders right here in Wiltshire, it's truly brutal in fact this afternoon the lovely young lady on horse back was struggling with her steed, who'd very much decided NOT to descend.

Very hard to admire the view whilst bumping across cobbles trying not to let your saddle finish off any remaining chances of parenthood.

:lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    I can't recommend Flanders highly enough. The beer alone is worth the trip.

Two hours from Calais.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

There is a P-R sportive every two years and 2012 is the next one.
  • cjcp
    Big Wib wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

There is a P-R sportive every two years and 2012 is the next one.

Yep, I should've said that. I read something about them organising a special P-R next year, though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Please stop tempting me, i am no way fit enough for this but god damn i want to do it :(
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    If it's any consolation, this time last year I was in no way fit enough.

And I'm not at the moment either. :D
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Well, it looks like I am winning the battle to persuade my mates to do the Marmotte instead of the Etape this summer. Obviously nothing booked yet, but its looking promising.

The best bit is we'll get to update the team kit - any suggestions gratefully received (the last effort in my avatar was designed by committee, as you can probably tell).
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It was awful. Awful, I tell you!
    a00bf208925c6914ce96791f9faaa4b5.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    MatHammond wrote:
    Well, it looks like I am winning the battle to persuade my mates to do the Marmotte instead of the Etape this summer. Obviously nothing booked yet, but its looking promising.

The best bit is we'll get to update the team kit - any suggestions gratefully received (the last effort in my avatar was designed by committee, as you can probably tell).

I am tempted. Have ordered an 11-32 cassette!!!

I think this might be beyond me.
    exercise.png
  • ketsbaia
    JonGinge wrote:
    It was awful. Awful, I tell you!
    a00bf208925c6914ce96791f9faaa4b5.jpg

Heh. I still looked fairly fresh on the Glandon too. :D

2743403_Screen.jpg

I'm fooling no one here on the Alpe, though. :shock:

alpe1.jpg
  • itboffin
    Yes yes all very lovely but tell me how does one sign up without going through a company or agent offering a full package?

BTW what's that thing growing out of your head?
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes yes all very lovely but tell me how does one sign up without going through a company or agent offering a full package?

Pop along to the Sports Communication website and enter. Simples!

Entries not open yet, mind.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Pop along to the Sports Communication website and enter. Simples!

Entries not open yet, mind.

Ta i'll put the coffee on and wait :lol:
  • ketsbaia
    itboffin wrote:

BTW what's that thing growing out of your head?

One of those cheap Movi cameras. Only footage I managed to get was the descent from the Telegraphe to Valloire. :(
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i have been asked to do this with my mad froggy friend. Are tandems allowed?

Mind my 1st ride on a tandem will be paris to Strasbourg over xmas assuming its not icy. This guy is a nutter and im a nutter for agreeing to do it.
  • cjcp
    mkirby wrote:
    i have been asked to do this with my mad froggy friend. Are tandems allowed?

Dunno, best email the organisers. JG and I did see a tandem going up ADH, though, while we were descending. I can't remember whether it was two days before or on the Marmotte itself.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."