So, Marmotte 2011...

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
... anyone else considering it?

After vowing 'never again' as I wilted in the heat after hairpin four of the Alpe, the pain and suffering is but a distant memory and now I'm almost certainly in for more of the same again next year.

Who's with me?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep. Training starts sometime... ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ketsbaia wrote:
    .as I wilted in the heat after hairpin four of the Alpe,?

That's when red lights started flashing on my dashboard, too.

I'm in; just need to get it approved domestically (has not been mentioned yet).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm really keen to try something like this. What would you consider a good baseline of fitness? Or would I be better asking how long a piece of string is? :P
  • cjcp
    notsoblue wrote:
    I'm really keen to try something like this. What would you consider a good baseline of fitness? Or would I be better asking how long a piece of string is? :P

Twice the distance from one to the middle.

When somebody says "well, you have good base fitness, at least", that, to me, says, "You're screwed, matey".

Commuting can give a good base fitness, but you need to do longer, more intense rides - see JG's patented 2hr tempo rides around RP.

Hard sessions on the turbo help, too.

And lose weight. (I've no idea how much you weigh.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

When somebody says "well, you have good base fitness, at least", that, to me, says, "You're screwed, matey".

Commuting can give a good base fitness, but you need to do longer, more intense rides - see JG's patented 2hr tempo rides around RP.

Yeah, didn't do enough of the tempo rides this year and I suffered for it. Work went a bit ballistic in the months leading up to the marmotte so I was definitely undertrained. I'd only done a handful of rides over the metric century leading up to july. Not ideal. I was too complacent. Don't make this mistake
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ketsbaia
    Read the blog in my sig (from the beginning) to see how not to do it. :D

I'm kicking off the turbo training next week and will be hopefully doing base fitness rides of 60 miles+ throughout the winter. Was definitely my base fitness that was lacking last year.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm up for a biggie next summer. My mate's are talking Etape, but I prefer the look of the Marmotte. Definitely a possibility.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I don't have a climber's physique, I'm 6'1" and 85kg. Plenty of non-metabolic weight to be lost there. I ride at least 30 miles a day during the week, most of that at a high (for me) pace, but its all on the flat. Recently did 70 miles in the Peak district and ~80miles around Bristol with lots of climbs, and tackled them fine.

But I've never been on anything like a club run or a sportif with other more experienced riders, so I think I may have just settled into a comfort zone. Time to broaden things a bit. Any London club recommendations? :)
  • Yup. Officially tempted and currently debating getting a coach so that I don't over / under train and that I can actually finish the blighter without too many swear words / tears / other dramas.

My b/f is taking the challenge a step further and is keen on doing the full whammy of the Grande Trophee (Vaujany, Prix des Rousses, Marmotte and then a time trial up the Alpe on the Sunday). I think he's welcome to it.
  • ketsbaia
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I don't have a climber's physique, I'm 6'1" and 85kg. Plenty of non-metabolic weight to be lost there. I ride at least 30 miles a day during the week, most of that at a high (for me) pace, but its all on the flat. Recently did 70 miles in the Peak district and ~80miles around Bristol with lots of climbs, and tackled them fine.

But I've never been on anything like a club run or a sportif with other more experienced riders, so I think I may have just settled into a comfort zone. Time to broaden things a bit. Any London club recommendations? :)

No club recommendations (although the Kingston Wheelers seem to frequent these shores and they may be in your neck of the woods), but the guy I did it with last year is 6'5" and about 86kg, so if he can do it, I'm sure you can.
  • cjcp
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Kingston Wheelers, sir. :) But I'm biased cos I iz a member, innit. :)

We have Sunday club runs - think Wrath Rob and KD have been on them. (I haven't been on one for two years :oops: ).

Depending on where your based, there are other good clubs to check out though: London Dynmano, Twickenham CC, Dulwich Paragon, London Phoenix (Rich158 on here is a member).

Re weight, don't worry. I'm 6ft (ish, perhaps) and anywhere between 80-83kg. I got down to about 78kg for the Marmotte. Lots of shapes and sizes do it, so you're fine.

Looks like you have the mileage - just up the intensity. RP is a great training resource - it's undulating, there's usually a headwind, and lots of competition to egg you on!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    I'm 6'2", weighed in at 82kg when I did the etape a couple of years ago and that was light enough to get up the hills, down to 80kg for the London marathon this year (needed to give my knees the best possible chance) and felt stronger for it in the Alps this summer. I reckon anywhere round the 80kg mark and you should be able to have a decent power to weight ratio, not sure there's any need to go any more extreme (although there's no doubt weight loss helps).
  • ketsbaia
    I saw a guy doing it last year who only had one leg, so tbh, if he can do it, anyone on here really should be able to give it a good go.
  • I did it for the first time last year and absolutely loved it.
    made it round in my target time (10 hours) although my training was somewhat lacking in quality

Have been looking forward to next years ever since.

although now transpires I may be abroad at the time (and no, not in france)
    :cry:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    cjcp wrote:
    Kingston Wheelers, sir. :) But I'm biased cos I iz a member, innit. :)

We have Sunday club runs - think Wrath Rob and KD have been on them. (I haven't been on one for two years :oops: ).

Yup, done 3 rides with KW now. They're a friendly bunch and I've just signed up for membership. Only done the club rides so far but this week I'm going to step up to the 55 mile ride. With 8 miles each way to get there it will take me up to my first metric ton :D

They have a longer training ride at a harder pace too. Have a look at the website for more details http://www.kingstonwheelers.com/clubrun.shtml
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Looks like the etape for me ;-)
    Now if I can just find time to make it along to either the CC wheelers or Newbury RC.

Dropped 8lbs since the alps another 8 by July should be simples!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    Now if I can just find time to make it along to either the CC wheelers or Newbury RC.

Dropped 8lbs since the alps another 8 by July should be simples!
    You'll be fine. No worries.
    According to this registrations open on Nov 16th:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 8#16553318
    Places will go very quickly
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    @ITB - yep, you'll be fine. But no third portion of Christmas cake this year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yup. Officially tempted and currently debating getting a coach so that I don't over / under train and that I can actually finish the blighter without too many swear words / tears / other dramas.

My b/f is taking the challenge a step further and is keen on doing the full whammy of the Grande Trophee (Vaujany, Prix des Rousses, Marmotte and then a time trial up the Alpe on the Sunday). I think he's welcome to it.

LL - given your beloved's script, I don't see how you can do ther than give yours a go. I can help you build a reserve of swear words if you like :)
  • ketsbaia
    itboffin wrote:

Isn't that just two-thirds of the Marmotte? ;)
  • Im in for 2011; I managed an 8:11 in 2009 and, knowing what I know now about the route, water stops, etc, etc I'll be looking for under 7:30

(6' and 73kg fwiw :) )

jon
  • jonginge
    Im in for 2011; I managed an 8:11 in 2009 and, knowing what I know now about the route, water stops, etc, etc I'll be looking for under 7:30

(6' and 73kg fwiw :) )

jon
    Chapeau, sir. Great time. I did 8:35 this year after some serious cramp on the galibier and Alpe. Hopefully, I'll avoid that with better training...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ketsbaia
    Jeebus. I'm aiming for 9 hours and that'll be a struggle. :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Jeebus. I'm aiming for 9 hours and that'll be a struggle. :shock:

But well worth the effort, no? :wink:
  • ketsbaia
    Definitely.

The one thing I learned from last year is that I can do it. Now it's just a question of how quickly.
  • UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207
    Getting the distance in is all well and good but there are 2 other key things to train for:

Hills & heat.

Training in Richmond Park is most certainly not what you need for a ride like this!

If you want to prepare for 1 - 2 hour climbs then the best way to prepare is to do 1 - 2 hour climbs.

If you want to cycle in 40 degree heat, then riding with too many layers, riding indoors with the windows shut and lots of layers. Get used to sweating it out and managing your water intake.

Not to mention managing your strategy, apropos of eating and how hard to push over such a doozy of a ride.
  • ketsbaia
    UpTheWall wrote:
    If you want to prepare for 1 - 2 hour climbs then the best way to prepare is to do 1 - 2 hour climbs.

Good luck with finding them in the UK.
  • bigmat
    ketsbaia wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:

Good luck with finding them in the UK.

Not sure I agree with that anyway. Its just a question of training at a set intensity for a set period of time - the rest is psychological. Richmond Park is a damn good place to train, I used it as base training for the etape and got round OK. You need to throw in a few longer rides as well to be comfortable with the length of time / distance. Actual practice on hors cat climbs is nice but by no means essential.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Each Climb on the Marmotte is 1 hours at max effort, try 3 laps at max effort as long as long constant rides, you've no hope of finding similar riding unless you have a jolly to Majorca in May as prep.