overshoes

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
as my feet have only just thawed out from this morning's freezing weather coupled with still damp shoes from last night's rain - can anyone recommend a decent pair of overshoes.

need to be cheap as I'm really tight.

thanking you.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    given your logic... bin bags should see you right...

endura ones are very good... as it happens I've a pair (XL) in minty condition going for say £15 if any one wants em

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=9275
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Alphabet
    DONE. I'll take em. That's exaclty what I'm after.
  • Clever Pun
    Alphabet wrote:
    DONE. I'll take em. That's exaclty what I'm after.

sweet drop me a pm and we'll sort it out... looks like I cycle past your way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    And stick newspapers in your shoes overnight to soak up the water.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    cjcp wrote:

they were full of paper and chucked in the airing cupboard. my new house is draughty and rubbish
  • cjcp
    Alphabet wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

they were full of paper and chucked in the airing cupboard. my new house is draughty and rubbish

Ah, right. Can you take the in-sole out?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Alphabet
    cjcp wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

yep, did that too. next time they'll be sitting and cooking on a radiator.
  • cjcp
    Alphabet wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

yep, did that too. next time they'll be sitting and cooking on a radiator.

Then I'm sh!t out of ideas, I'm afraid. :)

Oh, hang on: what about asking SWMBO who get up in the middle of the night to give them the once over with the hairdryer? (But downstairs, so she doesn't wake you. Obviously.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I might have to break out my endura ones, they are mtb ones but I don't ride to work in lycra anyway apart from underneath, warm dryer feet are more important than looks.
  • cjcp wrote:

Mine were still wet this morning, I don't like force drying them on the rads. When I bought my current shoes I just kept the old pair for the odd occassion...like this morning. Clever huh?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I made mistake with old shoes of drying the insoles in the tumble drier for too long, they did shrink quite a bit, whoops...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    On the topic of overshoes... can anyone recommend a pair that work well with toeclips? I'm looking for something to keep water out, so they don't need to insulate.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    Hi,
    On the topic of overshoes... can anyone recommend a pair that work well with toeclips? I'm looking for something to keep water out, so they don't need to insulate.

Cheers,
    W.

not seen any designed for that as the wear will tell fairly quickly I'd expect. Are you trying to protect the shoe or your toes? (sealskinz for example)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Cheapskate solution to wet shoes. Freezer bags over socks = dry feet. It's a strangely disconcerting feeling though until it all warms up.

I've got Endura MT500 overshoes but they're really a pita to put on (if you want them to last) so often I'll chance it without them. Only real solution is waterproof shoes/boots. Better start writing to Santa soon.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    cjcp wrote:

Mine were still wet this morning, I don't like force drying them on the rads. When I bought my current shoes I just kept the old pair for the odd occassion...like this morning. Clever huh?
    That's what I do.
  • wgwarburton
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

not seen any designed for that as the wear will tell fairly quickly I'd expect. Are you trying to protect the shoe or your toes? (sealskinz for example)

Looking to stop the shoes getting soaked/muddy. Something a bit like a low-cut lightweight hillwalking gaitor is the sort of think I have in mind, I guess, though I don't think a pair of those would work- they fit boots, not shoes, and protect the ankles not the feet!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Alphabet
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers,
    W.

Looking to stop the shoes getting soaked/muddy. Something a bit like a low-cut lightweight hillwalking gaitor is the sort of think I have in mind, I guess, though I don't think a pair of those would work- they fit boots, not shoes, and protect the ankles not the feet!

Cheers,
    W.

to be honest your probably better off just getting some SPDs and overshoes. much less grief.
  • wgwarburton
    Alphabet wrote:
    ...to be honest your probably better off just getting some SPDs and overshoes. much less grief.

Umm, yeah... three new sets of pedals, a new pair of shoes and I need to change them every time I pop down to the shops. That's way less grief!!! :-)

I can live with having to dry my shoes out occasionally, but it'd be nice to have a neater solution, if one exists, so I thought I'd ask.

SPDs are only really better than toeclips (at least for commuting/utility riding- I don't know about racing) if you don't already know how to use them. Otherwise the advantages are marginal and offset by the (also marginal) downsides.

Cheers,
    W.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Lunchtime fettle: remove SPDs, replace with toe clips.... welcome toastie feet again
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet wrote:
    ...to be honest your probably better off just getting some SPDs and overshoes. much less grief.

Umm, yeah... three new sets of pedals, a new pair of shoes and I need to change them every time I pop down to the shops. That's way less grief!!! :-)

I can live with having to dry my shoes out occasionally, but it'd be nice to have a neater solution, if one exists, so I thought I'd ask.

SPDs are only really better than toeclips (at least for commuting/utility riding- I don't know about racing) if you don't already know how to use them. Otherwise the advantages are marginal and offset by the (also marginal) downsides.

Cheers,
    W.

hmm... now you put it like that it does seem a bit of a faff. but three sets of M520s will be less than sixty quid new on ebay buy it now, you can get shoes for not much cash and overshoes for even less cash.

i never really got on with toe clips - too much hassle getting my feet in. spds are not hard to use, despite what people say, and are ace once you're used to them
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Alphabet wrote:
    i never really got on with toe clips - too much hassle getting my feet in. spds are not hard to use, despite what people say, and are ace once you're used to them

I agree, the transition from toe clip to SPD was painless but have tried overshoes in the past to no avail and can't afford a pair of Northwaves Celcius this month, maybe next month and the SPDs can go back on.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've had a couple of pairs of those Endura ones and they keep out the rain fairly effectively as well as keeping your feet warm. The only weak spot has been the zip at the back, the zips on both of the last pair I had failed in a relatively short time.

I find zips are generally the weak point of many products and am always on the look out for things with strong zips. My Decathlon rucksack top zip failed after only a few months, my Sombrio overshorts flies zipper failed after less than a year and now one of the pocket zippers has failed too. I wish manufacturers would source better zips for their products :evil:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • wgwarburton
    Alphabet wrote:
    ... three sets of M520s will be less than sixty quid new on ebay buy it now, you can get shoes for not much cash and overshoes for even less cash.

I don't think SPDs are hard to use (do people say they are?), I've borrowed a bike which had them and found them straight-forward.

I think the main advantage they have over toe-clips is that you don't have to learn to flip the pedal up and slide your foot in. If you have that skill then there's little, if any, overall benefit.
    I learned to use toe-clips before clipless pedals were an option and these days can pop my foot in without looking whilst taking off from lights on a fixie (I'm sure this isn't unusual). Occasionally I miss- maybe it's easier to engage SPDs at speed than toeclips?- but it doesn't happen often enough to be an issue.

Cheers,
    W.
  • wgwarburton
    ... I wish manufacturers would source better zips for their products :evil:

Look for YKK or Riri. they're generally OK.

Cheers,
    W.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I used to ride in toe clips, and as W said, once used to them they were like second nature. It is really a matter of preference if you prefer clipless or clips because at the end of the day they carry out the same function - holding your feet on the pedal. Clipless does give more options though regarding overshoes or carrier bags on feet etc.

Regards overshoes - I've just bought some (expensive?) BBB Ultraflex BW-08 overshoes. Quite heavy duty and have an open sole so I don't expect it to become tatty like others I've owned in the past because there is nothing to get tatty. Under the toes is a 2 - 3mm thick piece of rubber which seems very durable so I expect it will also stay in one piece - all other types I have tried have torn while being walked in - MTB shoes). Once I've worn theses a few more times I'll let you know if I still think they're worth £30.
    Steve C
  • sc999cs
    I used to ride in toe clips, and as W said, once used to them they were like second nature. It is really a matter of preference if you prefer clipless or clips because at the end of the day they carry out the same function - holding your feet on the pedal. Clipless does give more options though regarding overshoes or carrier bags on feet etc.

Regards overshoes - I've just bought some (expensive?) BBB Ultraflex BW-08 overshoes. Quite heavy duty and have an open sole so I don't expect it to become tatty like others I've owned in the past because there is nothing to get tatty. Under the toes is a 2 - 3mm thick piece of rubber which seems very durable so I expect it will also stay in one piece - all other types I have tried have torn while being walked in - MTB shoes). Once I've worn theses a few more times I'll let you know if I still think they're worth £30.
    Steve C
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I have some BBB overshoes (not sure if the same model) but I find if i'm still wearing shorts then the water just runs straight down my legs and fills them up.
    At least my feet are warm and wet though.
    Am I missing something or do they only work with trousers that overlap the tops of them?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Trouble with toeclips is you constantly have to lean down and loosen the strap or tighten the strap as and when you need to stop and start. If you don't tighten the straps you don't get the benefit of the pedal being attached to yuor foot, so to speak. With clipless it's just click and go or twist and stop....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sc999cs
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I have some BBB overshoes (not sure if the same model) but I find if i'm still wearing shorts then the water just runs straight down my legs and fills them up.
    At least my feet are warm and wet though.
    Am I missing something or do they only work with trousers that overlap the tops of them?

I tend to wear over trousers when It rains so the tops are covered. If you didn't then you're right, but as they are open sole wouldn't the water just run out again (leaving you with wet shoes in the process)?
    Steve C
  • wgwarburton
    Trouble with toeclips is you constantly have to lean down and loosen the strap or tighten the strap as and when you need to stop and start. If you don't tighten the straps you don't get the benefit of the pedal being attached to yuor foot, so to speak. With clipless it's just click and go or twist and stop....

Most of the benefit comes from pushing forwards at the top of the stroke and I find that if I do want to pull up I flex my ankle (or something?) to let me do so. As a result I virtually never tighten the straps all the way.
    The clip itself and straps that are a close fit, rather than tight, keep my foot on the pedals well enough to climb a steep hill (eg Dundas St. Edinburgh/Pendicle Road, Glasgow) on a fixie or descend at 160+ rpm. I can slide my foot out again very quickly if I need to (eg ice).

Cheers,
    W.