Winter Proofing (clothing for the cold)

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
so today it seems like mr jack frost has woken up and is intending to nip at our toes (etc.)

my commuting wardrobe at the moment consists of

luminous running windbreaker (v. thin)
handful of nike dri-fit running tops
a torm baselayer (merino/poly)
gore power III padded cycle shorts
baggy cargo shorts
a pair of nike running tights
thin cotton socks (most with holes)
some bog standard nike air force one trainers

baselayer aside none of this really lends itself to wet/cold weather commuting.

the running stuff is only a temporary measure (i still need it to run in and it's a hassle if I have to do more than one load of washing a week as I'd be constantly using it all) what sort of stuff should I be looking to buy to help protect myself from the elements?

are leg / arm warmers much cop? I bought padded shorts instead of tights as I can see them being better for year round usage. could I pair them with some leg warmers and get decent enough benefit from them?

what kind of jacket/top should I be looking at to complement my baselayer? I'm guessing something waterproof is good but going to be more expensive or would a jersey be sufficient if I just use the waterproof running jacket over the top of that if it's raining?

what about shoes/socks/overshoes? what's really a necessity to cope with the winter months (not interested in going clipless yet if that helps).
Hat + Beard

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    get some tights from decathlon - cheap and do the job. they really do make a difference. overshoes or waterproof socks are worth it too (as i found out this morning - my feet have only just thawed out) along with some nice full finger gloves.
  • Alphabet
    oh, and my fleecy headband is ace - 1.99 from the running section in decathlon (a tenner in the cycling bit)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Left the usual cycling-specific windcheater (generic no brand model from Mountain shop) and put on padded roadworker's waterproof hi viz jacket.

Left the fingerless Knogs this morning and put on neoprene gloves.

Only a T-Shirt beneath the jacket but within two miles I had to stop and unzip it completely, still got to work with my back drenched in sweat.

What I need is clothing that starts off warm and then gets thinner as I go!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited October 2010
    Arm warmers are good if you're intending on say wearing them in and not wearing them home... otherwise you might as well get a long sleeve top

Arm warmers are very useful though, getting a pair that fit you properly is harder, more so with leg/knee warmers

Beards are even more awesome in the winter btw
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Arm warmers are good if you're intending on say wearing them in and not wearing them home... otherwise you might as well get a long sleeve top

Arm warmers are very useful though, getting a pair that fit you properly is harder, more so with leg/knee warmers

Have you properly tested your lobster claws yet?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

Have you properly tested your lobster claws yet?

yep, just needed them a couple of times dexterity reduced massively but damn you have toasty hands, very pleased with the whole assos system
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    My armoury consists of:

selection of long/short sleeve cycling tops (1 is disticntly thicker than all the others, almost roubaix like)
    couple of base layer tops
    roubaix padded bib longs
    cycling tights
    mountain bike padded shorts
    padded shorts
    bib shorts
    cycling, (ie articulated knee and stirrups) non padded "ron hill" type pants
    fingerless gloves, thinner neoprene gloves, couple pairs of thicker winter gloves
    skull cap
    mid-lightweight cycling specific waterproof (still have a thicker, old, hi-viz waterproof which may make an appearance in snow).
    cycling fleece
    sealskinz, and various non cycling specific sports socks
    2 pairs of non- waterproof basic SPD cycling shoes
    waterproof shoe covers (accidentally bought some designed for commuters with normal shoes, so had to take some scissors and duct tape to them ,to allow SPD access but they do fit over my trainer like shoes better than most overshoes which seem to be fitted for roadie shoes)
    waterproof (but not that breathable) overtrousers.

Truth is, I mix and match this lot dependent on weather and the "honk"/laundry status. It covers all eventualities, including snow commuting

The one item I really recommend is skull cap or something similar to keep ears warm

At this point I should add, i have never worn all this in one go :)

(I should also point out, I've built this wardrobe up over time, and am not advocating going out and buying all this stuff in one go)
  • Abandoned the shorts this morning. Time to get the winter wardrobe out.
    For me this consists of the following

Aldi long sleeve winter jerseys (excellent VFM)
    Aldi winter tights (Fairly poor)
    Aldi winter bib tights (Slightly better than non bibs)
    Aldi skull cap and overshoes (skull cap good overshoes crap)
    Aldi merino top (good)
    Lidl base layer (good)
    Aldi winter gloves (excellent)
    Hoping my hiking boots will be delivered today
    Montane storm rider eVent jacket (excellent - I'm not completely cheap)
    Hi viz tabbard

I generally dont use the waterproof stuff that much. I prefer stuff that stays warm even when wet as I give it some welly on the way to work and end up sweating like a pig.
  • I need to sort out my footwear. My feet were like block of ice this morning :cry:
  • MarkS1980 wrote:
    I need to sort out my footwear. My feet were like block of ice this morning :cry:

My feet are what suffer. Not today, but they often end up wet and cold.

I have never tried overshoes, maybe they are the answer.
  • Clever Pun
    WesternWay wrote:
    MarkS1980 wrote:
    I need to sort out my footwear. My feet were like block of ice this morning :cry:

certainly warmer than not wearing them....
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • PBo
    WesternWay wrote:
    MarkS1980 wrote:

sealskinz mate....maybe overshoes too, but sealskinz.....

just holed mine after 5 years of winter wear, so new ones needed now :(
  • hatbeard
    PBo wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    MarkS1980 wrote:

sealskinz mate....maybe overshoes too, but sealskinz.....

just holed mine after 5 years of winter wear, so new ones needed now :(

when you say sealskinz which of their products are you referring to?

edit: and in terms of headwear something like this appeals

gore-bikewear-under-helmet-hat-iii.jpg

but I can't help but thing this is much more my style...

lumberthm.jpg
    Hat + Beard
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    hatbeard wrote:

i just got these last week - expensive but worth it this morning with the cold northern winds and driving rain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SealSkinz_Mid_Thermal_Merino_Waterproof_Socks/5300005319/

Looking to buy overshoes as well for the winter though - just simple endura neoprene

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9275
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I need socks myself now - I think it's the only bit of kit I'm now missing
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    antlaff wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

i just got these last week - expensive but worth it this morning with the cold northern winds and driving rain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SealSkinz_Mid_Thermal_Merino_Waterproof_Socks/5300005319/

yep, them
  • Alphabet
    only problem i can see with sealskins is that you'd need to buy lots of pairs or they'd get rather stinky. 100 quid for 4 pairs of socks seems a bit toppy.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    DHB stuff from Wiggle is good and cheap. I've got 2 pairs of their thermal tights and they're great. If you get ones without the seat pad you can wear your regular padded lycra underneath and get a week's wear out of 1 pair of tights. I'd not want to wear the same chamois pad for more than 1 day :shock:

Altura also do a good range of cheap stuff. The NightVision jacket is often derided on here for its ubiquitous nature but its windproof and warm. For example last year it wasn't until the really cold snaps that I had to wear anything other than a t-shirt base layer under it. Their overshoes are pretty good, if not the most stylish, too and cheap to boot. Better than getting a 2nd pair of shoes as you don't have to swap cleats over and again cheaper.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I found when mountain biking in the winter that if I kept my head warm my feet and hands would suffer less, even with the same gloves on as my body didn't shut off the blood to them.

For gloves at the moment I have some long finger fox ones, perfectly fine for now, then after some night vision ones and then for extra warmth some sealskinz merino liner gloves, very thin so they still fir inside the night visions but they add so much warmth.

Feet if wet are some seal skinz with endura mtb 500 overshoes on top and a skull cap obviously, that and a jacket, baselayer and jersey just about does it, if wet a night vision evo jacket, I ended up unzipping it until now so it must need to drop a lot for me to wear much under it.

It does need to get very cold before I break out the tights, other wise it's shorts lycra underneath and knee warmers, if colder 3/4 shorts and the warmers to give my knees more of a chance of not aching. Oddly enough I have had less knee ache on the road on my roadie than my mtb on the road
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I found sealskinz socks and DHB Merston tights with 3/4 baggies on top got me through last winter and all its snowy glory quite snugly. The Merstons have been discontinued and seem to have been replaced by dhb Pace Roubaix for 2011.
    Rules are for fools.
  • ^ i've got a pair of both and there pretty much the same. both fleecy lined, the pace roubaix are slightly shinier though so obviously different materials. been nice and toasty for the last few days.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Waddlie wrote:
    I found sealskinz socks and DHB Merston tights with 3/4 baggies on top got me through last winter and all its snowy glory quite snugly. The Merstons have been discontinued and seem to have been replaced by dhb Pace Roubaix for 2011.

Same combo here, except my new sealskinz appear to be leaky, best bath test em and send em back!

On top you can't beat a waterproof jacket, when it gets really cold mother nature won't get at you so easily, its just worth splashing out on one thats less boil in a bag depending on journey time/distance/pace.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Gore Action Windstopper bib tights
    Aldi merino socks ( or hiking socks )
    SS Aldi merino base layer
    Assos 851 jacket or Paramo Velez waterproof coat
    Gore Gilet over the 851
    Aldi winter bike gloves ( usually buy a cheap new pair of gloves each year )
    Sealskinz gloves if it is raining
    overshoes
    headband if it is very cold
    add a LS merino base if it is very cold

I need to get some new winter shoes/boots. My old Northwave Fahrenheit ones have bit the dust after 2 years use.
  • hatbeard
    went to the LBS at lunch and picked up some cheapo glove liners to go inside my spesh bg ridge full fingers (looked a bit of a weirdo putting multiple gloves off the rack onto the same hand when I was testing them for sizing). and also picked up a buff to give me a couple of cheap options for basic under helmet covering.

they were out of the sealskinz socks in my size which was lucky as I was looking at the mid-light ones and not the mid-thermal by mistake. have now ordered a pair online.

looked at the mavic neptune jacket while i was in there and I was shocked by the sizing. I'm an L t-shirt and I couldn't even get their L to touch at the front. makes me apprehensive of buying any fancy jerseys/jackets until I've lost this last 2 stone now (am 14.5st down from 19.5st in march but want to get to 12.5st eventually) as if I buy a bigger size now I'll end up with something miles to big for me in a few months.
    Hat + Beard
  • buffs - the way to go. I wear one on my head all year round (got a headband for the very hot weather) and when its really cold wear one on my head and one round my neck which pulls over my mouth/nose depending on the frost levels!

having met you, I'd wait before you buy a jacket...much wiser to invest in decent base layers - anything merino so it wicks away the sweat. you can add these thin layers under the jacket you've already got and will probably find you don't need a warmer jacket IMO.

sealskin socks are what keep my feet warm, though not dry when its chucking it down or theres heaps of water on the road. but feet do remain dry. I only ever cycle in just trainers with those. and one pair does me fine the whole week....I dont' think they smell at all....afterall mine, and your, commute is only 30mins each way so that's only 5hrs of wear a week....if you cycled all day you'd be wearing them all day, obviously, and then you'd need more than one pair, but 30 mins wear each day is fine with just one pair....

gloves...I've got fingerless gloves and wear a cheap pair of thinnies underneath now its a tad colder. might invest in a pair of thin waterproof/windproof ones for this winter though.

those long leggings I wore when we cycled in are padded, and I just wear my baggies over the top....if you're going long leggings get some padded ones.

buffs....can't recommend them enough........get loads. you'll wear them running too now it's colder....you probably saw my other half wearing one last night :lol:
  • hatbeard
    buffs - the way to go. I wear one on my head all year round (got a headband for the very hot weather) and when its really cold wear one on my head and one round my neck which pulls over my mouth/nose depending on the frost levels!

having met you, I'd wait before you buy a jacket...much wiser to invest in decent base layers - anything merino so it wicks away the sweat. you can add these thin layers under the jacket you've already got and will probably find you don't need a warmer jacket IMO.

sealskin socks are what keep my feet warm, though not dry when its chucking it down or theres heaps of water on the road. but feet do remain dry. I only ever cycle in just trainers with those. and one pair does me fine the whole week....I dont' think they smell at all....afterall mine, and your, commute is only 30mins each way so that's only 5hrs of wear a week....if you cycled all day you'd be wearing them all day, obviously, and then you'd need more than one pair, but 30 mins wear each day is fine with just one pair....

gloves...I've got fingerless gloves and wear a cheap pair of thinnies underneath now its a tad colder. might invest in a pair of thin waterproof/windproof ones for this winter though.

those long leggings I wore when we cycled in are padded, and I just wear my baggies over the top....if you're going long leggings get some padded ones.

buffs....can't recommend them enough........get loads. you'll wear them running too now it's colder....you probably saw my other half wearing one last night :lol:

I must admit it was seeing tim put his buff on at the union on sunday that reminded me of their existance as a friend used to have one and at the time I thought it was pretty nifty but i didn't really have a need for one. now i do :D

i'm still not convinced they're as awesome as these though...
    lumberthm.jpg
    Hat + Beard
  • yes, that does seem to fit your style :lol:
    not sure you'd get your helmet on...unless it'd adjust a fair bit. :lol:
  • hatbeard
    yes, that does seem to fit your style :lol:
    not sure you'd get your helmet on...unless it'd adjust a fair bit. :lol:

I could get one of these and wear it underneath
    Skydiving-helmets-2055328954.jpg:lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A buff/headover neck tube is essential when it gets colder.

Sealskinz work best as over-socks with some thin wool socks to prevent them getting stinky. In the wet, waterproof trousers ensure that runoff drains over the socks, not into them. Montaine do some good ones.

A waterproof jacket is best kept for actual rain. A good winter-grade windproof is more comfortable. Soft-shell style jackets work quite well. Personally I use a Paramo which is excellent but too warm for some riders.

You dont need rear pockets on inner layers of winter tops, just the basic T shirt style is sufficient. I prefer merino base layer (and neck-tube)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    There was a free buff with this month's Cycling Plus. They work pretty well
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides