2011 Giro Presentation on Saturday

2»

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    And me please!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    More Strada Bianchi too apparently! :o
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Any ideas when the DVD of this year's race will be released? I want that memento of a great race
    RCS/ RAI Trade in Italy offered a DVD of the 2010 Giro sold in Italy along with La Gazzetta dello Sport as part of their Hall of Fame DVD collection for 2010. Amazingly, there's an ENGLISH commentary soundtrack on it! This may be why Bromley/WCP do not have DVDs of the event though RAI Trade/RCS have done a poor job of making the DVD available outside of Italy. I brought one home, not knowing for sure if it would play on any of the players we have here but luckily for me it does play just fine on one of them. I'll be heading to Italia next month and will try to pick up any copies of this I can find. They're cheap enough, less than $20 US so I'll get as many as I can find as I've heard others lamenting the lack of video record of what was surely the most exciting of the 2010 Grand Tours.

Put me down for one too :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Getty
    8a07b7d9f1c36a321866a51b1d8594c5-getty-italy-cycling-giro.jpg
    2ec0cc5f507c937bd76b8c41912534d7-getty-italy-cycling-giro.jpg
    bd6ececf4ec80f3fece0cda6fe3b9cea-getty-cycling-italy-giro.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Finestre on stage 20! Nice.

3,798-meter high Großglockner pass :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Except the stage finishes at 1908 m.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Finestre on stage 20! Nice.

3,798-meter high Großglockner pass :shock:

The mountain itself is 3798 meters high, the pass considerably less.
  • Any ideas when the DVD of this year's race will be released? I want that memento of a great race
    RCS/ RAI Trade in Italy offered a DVD of the 2010 Giro sold in Italy along with La Gazzetta dello Sport as part of their Hall of Fame DVD collection for 2010. Amazingly, there's an ENGLISH commentary soundtrack on it! This may be why Bromley/WCP do not have DVDs of the event though RAI Trade/RCS have done a poor job of making the DVD available outside of Italy. I brought one home, not knowing for sure if it would play on any of the players we have here but luckily for me it does play just fine on one of them. I'll be heading to Italia next month and will try to pick up any copies of this I can find. They're cheap enough, less than $20 US so I'll get as many as I can find as I've heard others lamenting the lack of video record of what was surely the most exciting of the 2010 Grand Tours.

Excellent times can you pick one up for me please?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Getty
    8a07b7d9f1c36a321866a51b1d8594c5-getty-italy-cycling-giro.jpg

Blimey, Ballan is tall.
  • I didnt realise until I just got a text from an italian friend who tells me the course is a tribute to the "heroes" of the risorgimento. How stylish, how italian, I luv em.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Just looking at some details on the Zoncolan stage, trying to work out the approach.
    I know it's a few days old, but this article was confusing me somewhat, I was sure the route this year went up from Ovaro, and I think it's the same (harder) side for next year too.

I think the article is just wrong, in case it confused anyone else.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2011-gi ... e-zoncolan
  • le patron wrote:
    Just looking at some details on the Zoncolan stage, trying to work out the approach.
    I know it's a few days old, but this article was confusing me somewhat, I was sure the route this year went up from Ovaro, and I think it's the same (harder) side for next year too.

I think the article is just wrong, in case it confused anyone else.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2011-gi ... e-zoncolan

It is the Ovaro side: http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Girodit ... 4_plan.jpg
    and: http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2011/giro- ... ile-14.jpg
  • AGuppy
    AGuppy Posts: 44
    Any ideas when the DVD of this year's race will be released? I want that memento of a great race

One for me too. :)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    NapoleonD wrote:
    More Strada Bianchi too apparently! :o
    Not sure where you mean, but the upper stretches of the Gardeccia climb (stage 15) are gravel. See beyond the wooden bridge on pic. Not sure if the stage will stop before then.

5120744148_a7231dce14.jpg
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    I think Ricks comment about a stage to the moon springs to mind
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ?
  • rick_chasey
    Can't see anyone doing the Giro & Tour and coming well out of the latter.

Time for the riders to pick their sides.

Anyone got any figures to suggest the Giro is slowly clawing some popularity back from the Tour with these bizzare and extreme routes?
  • mididoctors
    ?

you said that the 2010 giro was obscenely hard and wouldn't be surprised if the 2011 giro included a lunar stage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Can't see anyone doing the Giro & Tour and coming well out of the latter.

Time for the riders to pick their sides.

Anyone got any figures to suggest the Giro is slowly clawing some popularity back from the Tour with these bizzare and extreme routes?

that route is going to totally spanner you irrespective of how you ride it

stage 11 looks to be a orrible little 100 miler

certainly more popular here I would say... but the extremity may backfire
  • rick_chasey
    ?

you said that the 2010 giro was obscenely hard and wouldn't be surprised if the 2011 giro included a lunar stage

Had to search that.

Better memory than me!
    that route is going to totally spanner you irrespective of how you ride it

stage 11 looks to be a orrible little 100 miler

certainly more popular here I would say... but the extremity may backfire
    Certainly is going to ruin them.

As much as last year's Giro was quality, and it really was (it felt very old skool - or at least, how I imagine it), it's hard to see the wider TdF-only public paying attention to a race which ultimately turns away the world's biggest and best.
  • mididoctors
    [ it's hard to see the wider TdF-only public paying attention to a race which ultimately turns away the world's biggest and best.

perhaps that's a good thing?
  • rick_chasey
    [ it's hard to see the wider TdF-only public paying attention to a race which ultimately turns away the world's biggest and best.

How would it be a good thing?
  • mididoctors

keeps the race more nerdy and proper for true cycle geeks

the tour is such a circus
  • rick_chasey

keeps the race more nerdy and proper for true cycle geeks

the tour is such a circus

Ah the Tour's more exciting because it matters and everyone cares. I only start to care about the Giro once I've put in a week or two effort in watching it.

Also - I could live with every race getting the same kind of coverage the Tour gets.

Ultimately, to use an entirely inapropriate and quite innacurate analogy - the Giro is like watching the UEFA cup (or Europa League) final in a 5-4 belter, and the Tour is a 1-0 or 2-1 Champions League Final. One may be more entertaining football, but since they're not the best, you ultimately don't care as much.
  • mididoctors

Ah the Tour's more exciting because it matters and everyone cares. I only start to care about the Giro once I've put in a week or two effort in watching it.

Also - I could live with every race getting the same kind of coverage the Tour gets.

Ultimately, to use an entirely inapropriate and quite innacurate analogy - the Giro is like watching the UEFA cup (or Europa League) final in a 5-4 belter, and the Tour is a 1-0 or 2-1 Champions League Final. One may be more entertaining football, but since they're not the best, you ultimately don't care as much.

guess I used to like the exclusivity of it all back in the day.. but I am a snob.

I like a change of pace on the coverage thing..everything at high level is just a flat line of noise...

look at footie way way way to much hype to the point you just don't care about any of it.

sometimes you have to get down to get backup
  • Is the Giro heading to Passo San Baldo?

switch-sanbaldo.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest