Bicycle Lights and UK Law

13»

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:
    dude - is that a purpley/pinky colour? With some kind of flowery pattern?

Why not just get handle bar tassles

Don't knock pinky purple bikes, especially if they're for commuting !
    (I've had one for years, it's all part of the anti-theft strategy. That and the wire basket on the rack...)

I refer you to my earlier comment!!! :) I haven't seen the exact stats, but I'm fairly confident their aren't that many 10 year old girl bike thieves....
  • flashes it must conform to the required flash rate (1-4 equal flashes per second)

This is because at this rate it will not induce a fit in someone suffering epilepsy, drivers etc.
    I thought that the regulations meant:

If it only flashes (i.e. no constant mode), then if it flashes between 1-4 times per sec it meets the required standard to be an approved bike light.

I may be wrong, but I thought that there is nothing about having additional lights that flash more often. Such lights could be mounted next to an 'approved' style one without being contrary to regulations.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    The Department of Transport wrote:
    Optional lamps and reflectors

1. Additional lighting to the above mentioned obligatory lights is permitted under certain conditions:
    2. - It must not dazzle other road users
    - It must be the correct colour (white to front, red to rear)
    - If it flashes it must conform to the required flash rate (1-4 equal flashes per second)
    3. Optional lights are not required to conform to BS 6102-3 and there is no minimum level of intensity. So for example, on the rear of the cycle a cyclist may wish to have both a steady red lamp which conforms to BS 6102-3 and an additional flashing lamp which is not meeting the minimum level of 4 candela.

that suggests to me that additional lights must also meet the flashing criteria - but not brightness
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    PBo wrote:
    dude - is that a purpley/pinky colour? With some kind of flowery pattern?

Why not just get handle bar tassles

ooo tassles, they've just made my xmas list! 8)
    FCN 2 to 8