Why Do You Cycle ?

2»

Comments

• mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i have made my best friends cycling
  • I seem to have spent the whole day in a car ferrying people back and forth on the South Circuitous - in that time I only overtook one bike and that's because he really, really wasn't trying. And I got to feel very jealous - just one day driving in London is enough to make you a cyclist for life.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Cos i get moody without any form of exercise :)

I hate pt with a passion and will avoid at all costs and I like to be in control of me getting places and not held up by roadworks or traffic.

I have a license but dont really like driving anymore

Also I work 12 and half hour shifts sso its nice to unwind
  • howie3472
    howie3472 Posts: 110
    I enjoyed it as a kid.
    oh and some one at work said there was no way you could cycle to work every day so had to prove them wrong.
    ps did say i enjoy it :D
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Initially because a friend in the office did, and I started to get annoyed with myself for not doing it, that's the only way to describe it.

I continue because I enjoy it, because it keeps me fit and so I can eat as much as I want. It certainly hasn't saved me money as I've become completely hooked and now have 3 bikes in the shed, up from 0 just over a year ago!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    When I lived in London it was by far the best way of getting around.

I started again after trading some PC parts for a bike and because my oldest son was getting too fast to keep up with on his. So I figured I might as well use it to get fit cos I can't be arsd with the gym, cut fuel costs and now an average day on the bike is as faster than a bad day in the car. And from experience the risk of a bad day in the car goes up as Christmas approaches.

Now I have a bravado thing going at work to make it through the winter. Also I get crabby if I don't ride and apparently I'm a nicer person. I've also lost ~10kg so I look better too!

So yeah, all of that and the buzz that a good, fast or fun ride can give me. Sometimes it's better than drugs but I can't get sacked for taking exercise on the way to work!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ndru wrote:
    Because I am cheap, and I fail to see the point of paint £30 pounds a week to sit in a stinky, overcrowded train twice a day and then have to walk a good mile, because that's where the closest station is from my work.
    Plus I don't have the time now to go to the gym, so I get my workout while I am getting home.
    Plus it's fun.

as above, except it would be a 4 mile walk each day, as it's a mile from the station each end and it saves me £1k in train fares, although I probably use that to run the bike; still cheaper than a car though and travelling times aren't that different.
  • My family are being held prisoner my an evil genius. He has told me that they will be put in with the sharks unless I cycle each day. I hate it, but with luck soon they will be free.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    WesternWay wrote:
    My family are being held prisoner my an evil genius. He has told me that they will be put in with the sharks unless I cycle each day. I hate it, but with luck soon they will be free.

that totally just gave me a mental picture of Boris sitting on one of those swivelly bond villain chairs and as he spins round he has a bike helmet in his lap which he's stroking.

"no mr westernway, I expect you to cycle" :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    My family are being held prisoner my an evil genius. He has told me that they will be put in with the sharks unless I cycle each day. I hate it, but with luck soon they will be free.

that totally just gave me a mental picture of Boris sitting on one of those swivelly bond villain chairs and as he spins round he has a bike helmet in his lap which he's stroking.

"no mr westernway, I expect you to cycle" :lol:

That is PRECISELY as it is.
  • Fun, challenge, exercise, it's quicker than a bus etc, but mainly:

We have a database at work where everyone enters their daily cycling distances, and there are prizes each month for number of days cycled and max distance, plus rating over the whole year. Miss a single day and you slide down the leaderboard.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    The reasons why I started riding a bike, the reasons why I returned to cycling, and the reasons why I continue to cycle are all different.
    Riding on 531
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Fun! Exercise, and its quicker than commuting by bus/tube.

Really its because of the enjoyment. Why would I want to be crammed into a tight space with members of the public (*gasp*) for almost an hour of soporific boredom to go 8 miles? Much better to be on the bike in the "fresh" London air keeping my heartrate up and indulging my competitive spirit :)
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    It started with a need to get fitter and lose weight.

Reinforced later by need to economise after salary cut of £8000 due to restructure and job evaluation.

Now the desire to maintain fitness and trimness, plus the continued need to reduce costs keep me going. And having an excuse to wear lycra is good.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    got back into cycling to keep fit without the gym but I found I just love being out on 2 wheels, either on the roads for pleasure or a commute or off road.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Fun, challenge, exercise, it's quicker than a bus etc, but mainly:

We have a database at work where everyone enters their daily cycling distances, and there are prizes each month for number of days cycled and max distance, plus rating over the whole year. Miss a single day and you slide down the leaderboard.

Good effort given where you live!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 'cos i like being cheap!

it's quicker than going by train.

and at the times i work (night shift) there isn't always public transport to get me home.

i like a challenge.

getting flashed by speed camera's overtaking mopeds ect. all good fun.

it builds charecter.

puts hairs on your chest..and eye balls in the winter.